Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2013, 19:54   #31

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Anchor Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
I've been reading a lot about holding power and anchor types.
Could you guys tell me the weight of your anchor and size of your boat?
Rocna 33 pounds
100' G4 1/4" chain
23' boat weighing 7k
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 21:40   #32

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Hans christian 33
23,000 lbs loaded
Spade s120 55#
300' 5/16" ht
2t alloy 3/8 shackle
Old 21-07-2013, 05:51   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

In case of a small boat, ability to (manually) retrieve her anchor may have more to do with how deep your anchorage is rather than how big the anchor is and how long her chain.

When safe, we avoid anchorages deeper than 35'. 60' is "deep" and hauling up all the kit becomes a hard job.

If your regular anchorage is very deep, you may be forced to limit the amt of chain.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:52   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If I were anchoring in the Chesapeake without a windlass, I'd probably go with a Fortress.

Agree. In fact, one of our spares is a Fortress, one size larger than recommended and still relatively easy to handle manually. We used it as primary for a while and it always worked well in the mud around here... but it doesn't hang as nicely in our roller, so we decided to carry that one rolled up in the bag as a Plan B.

-Chris
Old 21-07-2013, 06:46   #35

If you're going on a world cruise then you want a plow type (CQR, Bruce, Manson, Delta, etc) primary of about 2lbs per foot of boat length and all chain rode.

Otherwise buy what the majority of cruisers use in the area that you will be cruising. Your secondary should be a different type, like a Danforth type (Danforth HT, Fortress, etc) these can be used as kedges since they generate so much holding power. Setting however is critical and they tend not to reset on their own.

I preferred the Bruce primary and the Fortress secondary for our Ericson 38. We had the 35lb Bruce on the bow roller on 100 ft of 5/16 HT and 200ft of 5/8 nylon. We used that 95% of the time in Florida and the Bahamas.

Except once ... we used our FX37 Fortress to anchor the boat in Clearwater Bay during a hurricane in 2004. The FX 37 had 80 ft of 3/8 chain and 250 ft of 3 strand nylon. We guessed that the strongest winds would be south something SE, S, SW and set the hook in sand off the Coast Guard Station in the bay. We gave it full scope ... all the chain and line in 10ft of water (12 at high tide).

The boat rode out 3 straight days of 50k plus winds from the south and never moved. We watched it from Bellair Bluffs across the bay and the boat was really taking a pounding in short steep waves. But the anchor held and the chafing gear stood up and we escaped with minor damage. Great anchor.

We never dragged with our Bruce either, I'd use a similar set-up again.

Whatever anchor you use, get the real thing. Get the original Bruce or the original Danforth, CQR, Fortress or Manson or whatever. Don't get a knock off.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 07:48   #36

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Have a 40' Silverton aftcabin displaces well over 25,000 completely enclosed canvas, hard top for great windage. I have 180' of 5/16HT chain, Maxwell HWC2200 24vdc windlass and MS 80# anchor. Never slipped! I sleep at night.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 13:57   #37

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Probably okay on the chesapeake if you have some chain like 50 feet. Technique will be important. 25 pond Danforth not set and the rhode tangled about the flukes is just like having a 25 lb brick at the end if the line. Maybe a 35 lb spade as a primary and you would be covered fir all if the bay

I meant to comment earlier; 50 ft of chain here in the upper Chesapeake would usually mean bringing aboard 50+ lbs of chain and another 35 lbs of mud almost every time.

I usually favor an all-chain rode, but don't use that here; takes too much time to clean the mud out of the links, clean the anchor, etc.

-Chris
Old 29-07-2013, 17:12   #38

Re: Anchor weight

15' of chain (even if 3/8) ! On a 55' Hatteras! You have no bottom chafe protection and no catenary in the chain. Must be a typo. You meant 150' if chain?
vinayfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:38   #39

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
The Brig Pilgrim. About 140' sparred. We carry two fisherman anchors, 645# each.
Fishermen, eh? Do you expect that you're lying to the weight alone? Do you deploy both often?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Fishermen, eh? Do you expect that you're lying to the weight alone? Do you deploy both often?
It's never dragged while I was aboard, so I don't really know. We are very conservative about where we anchor, and keep a two-man watch at all times. If we ever had two out, it was some years ago.

We bring it up by hand with a windlass, and there have been times when it was pretty stuck! So I guess there's more to it than just weight.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 19:37   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
We are very conservative about where we anchor, and keep a two-man watch at all times.
Well, there you have it: the answer to the question "What are the two best ways to sleep at anchor?"

(1) Use a new-generation anchor with all-chain rode.

(2) Maintain a two-man watch at all times.
Old 29-07-2013, 19:57   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Well, there you have it: the answer to the question "What are the two best ways to sleep at anchor?" (1) Use a new-generation anchor with all-chain rode. (2) Maintain a two-man watch at all times.
Hee hee. 25+ crew, and it's STILL me that's gotta wake up at four in the morning to stand watch!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 20:53   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Hee hee. 25+ crew, and it's STILL me that's gotta wake up at four in the morning to stand watch!
Well. Yes. Some of us were born for the dog watch.

Tags
anchor