Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56   #16

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Re: Anchor system name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Looks like an 80's boat. Back then CQR was pretty much the standard. I'm fairly sure the hawsepipes were specifically designed for those anchors and I bet fitting anything else without them scraping or rattling would be difficult unless you had custom anchors made. Also when you have $15k in stainless anchors you're probably not keen to change them out...just have your paid crew stand watch
Yes, I figured there's probably too much invested in those anchors and the overall setup to change anything too drastically.

Interestingly, the starboard anchor looks bigger than the port one, and the starboard roller is beefier too. The big windlass also looks to be on the starboard side, with perhaps a smaller windlass - or just a capstan - on the port side(?).

What is the thinking behind that asymmetry? The primary anchor is used most of the time, but the secondary (smaller) one is for backup? Would it not be more efficient to invest the weight of the secondary into a correspondingly bigger primary anchor?

I guess manhandling any kind of kedge would be truly difficult on a boat that size.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:57   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49

It’s a Nordia 75’

https://www.uwjachtmakelaar.nl/en/sa...ia-van-dam-75/
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I had to replace my mild steel bow sprit, I went with 316ss. I didn’t have whisker stays and the sprit deck was unsupported making it wobbly. The bow setup was for CQR anchors as the shaft came through an slather in the sprit decking. The first thing I did was go from a 45 CAR to a 66 Spade, because the spade would fit, but it would hang up in the big stay every time.

I added whiskers making the sprit a much more stout and reliable platform. I also moved the anchor rollers out and forward so that I could use new gen roll bar anchors.

What you see is my primary STV, 125 Mantus. The 66 Spade is to port with a short piece of chain. If I were to need it I would have to bring forward my kedge rode and connect it. Horizontal windlass with Gypsy to std and drum to port. Kedge rode is mostly line.

It was a lot of work but the sprit was shot and I made the most of the opportunity. We anchor out most of the time and this set up works well for us. Easy to get the anchor up and down. Easy to clean. Strong.

I could not get the rollers high enough so the chain runs over a bit of SS Tubing. I wired some starboard in place to reduce friction. Been there a year, maybe 300 cycles and works just fine. Costs about a buck to replace, when I need to.

Real happy with my work, not always so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24590037-6DBE-4110-B56F-E7D9EDCBE1D4.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	171396  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 15:22   #19

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student_Driver View Post
That may be the most beautiful boat I have ever seen. I am speechless (almost). Other than costing the GDP of a small nation to own and run, she is as close to boating perfection as I've seen. Thanks for the link. I'll be working a bit harder from now on.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 19:00   #20

Thank you for your thoughts everyone

Yes this is the boat

https://www.uwjachtmakelaar.nl/en/sa...ia-van-dam-75/

Have wonderful weekend

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor