Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 15:46   #46

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Crosby G-209A Shackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
Since these are not even sold at one of the common marine stores we have to assume that a lot of the boats that are anchored around us are using just the regular old shackles like the one that came on my boat from the factory. That seems more problematic then the rare case of a stainless swivel breaking.
Jim
You can buy the Crosby G-209A Shackles in lots of places.

This is why we post this information on the CF so everyone can be SAFE.

Defenders Marine carries them.

Crosby G-209A Series Forged Alloy Anchor Shackle

Crosby® G-209A SPA Shackles Alloy - RiggingWarehouse.com

Crosby 3/8" G-209A Alloy Screw Pin Anchor Shackle - 2 Ton WLL - #1017450
Attached Images

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 04:49   #47

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: Anchor swivel - Red or Blue Loctite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
When I see people talk about this I always see the mention of the magical shackle that is stronger then the chain but have not been able to find it in real life. The Crosby shackles seem to come close but the swivels are the only thing I have seen that actually looks like it exceeds the strength of the chain.
So my question is how many of you actually have special shackles that are as strong as your chain? I use 3/8" HT chain and it seems like to get anything to fit other then the fancy swivels gives me less strength at that point. I do understand all the concerns but even if the swivel breaks at some fraction of it rated strength due to some particular pull angle, etc it seems that it still is comparable to the usual shackles you can buy in the usual places.

Jim
Jim to get the really big shackles to fit you just use the Dremel to widen out the holes in the chain link! Duh! ;-). Lol JK.

For what it's worth in the no swivel camp. I do that have my windlass installed yet but will have my internal debate the first time I come across these alien induced twists. Do you find the more often you traverse the Bermuda triangle the more you get these twists? What about UFO sightings and the discovery of twists soon after? Maybe these are the nautical equivalent to crop circles! Lol
Old 18-03-2017, 05:36   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
DOH! Exactly the idea I had in mind!

Thanks!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 05:42   #49

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I remember ordering chain with a "connecting link" on each end that allowed the use of a larger shackle. Is this not available on the G70 chain?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 07:33   #50

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
No. Grade B shackles have a WLL of 5200 pounds (industry standard). Easy to find on Amazon or through rigging companies. These are actually considerably stronger than the chain (26,000 BS vs 16,200), but the WLL is rated differently.

~ $15.00

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/atta...pa044alloy.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Crosby-G209A-...shackle+7%2F16
I used Defender since they sold them. I assumed it was a reliable source of info: I see I didn't get the "A" rated shackles in my search. Thanks for the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 10.31.24 AM.png
Views:	113
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	143387  
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 02:37   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The one you show in your picture, comes with a small tube of red Loctite.
Stupid easy to heat it up with a cheap propane torch too to remove it.
I have one of those swivels, I am very un-impressed with it. I replaced it with a Mantus swivel, which I am real impressed with, I am sure there are other good ones too, just not the one you picture.
Are you sure you are taking about a Wasi and not something else??

The Wasi has small grub screws to stop pins unscrewing. It is completly reliable and very strong. For example, a side load on a wasi will always bend the shank before splaying the forks on the swivel. Its stronger than the chain.

Its not cheap and costs maybe more than 200 Euro, however it is Lloyds certified which does say its been well tested.
Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 18:39   #52

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
High strength shackles are more practical, but that does lead to another line of conversation. No chain.

I took the chain off my secondary/kedge rode over a year ago, replacing it with a 20-foot over strnegth Dyneema leader, as a part of some testing. There are a few advantages, unrelated to strength:
  • Lighter to row out.
  • No chain to scrape the decks.
  • Sets deeper than chain.
  • Fortress anchors set better in very soft mud without chain (the chain drags the shank down into the mud, tilting the flukes up--this is why they sometimes suggest an initial light set at short scope).
Though we worship chain, perhaps it isn't always needed.
  • A kedge is not subject to cutting.
  • Dyneema can be over strength.
  • Dyneema can be covered with a free-floating chafe guard, making it very cut resistant.
  • Anchors set in a V do not saw on the bottom, hence little cutting risk.
  • I primarily only use a second anchor in very, very soft mud. No cutting.
  • The cover makes the Dyneema easy to cleat for break-out.
  • Chain catenary makes very little difference to a Fortress anchor once well-set in mud--the anchor is well underground, along with 10 feet of rode.
So far, no wear. My main rode is all-chain and will stay so.

Although it looks as though the cover could slide up, remember that chafe is coming down the rode as the anchor sets. The cover has no tendency to slide up the rode--there is nothing to pull it. At most, it bunches up around a friction point, providing more protection. The upper end is not attached, so it floats. The cover is 20 feet long.

Sail Delmarva: A Better Secondary Anchor Rode--Goodbye to Chain?

Try this with a steel anchor and chain:
Are you Sail Delmarva? If so, love your blog, articles, and book on boat maintenance hacks ☺.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 13:27   #53

Boat: Outbound 44

Turns out Blue Locktite was the right choice for a bad reason. After a 7 day passage from New Zealand we anchored just off the wharf in Lautoka, Fiji as directed by Port Control to wait for Customs. Long story but they never came and we needed to move. The anchor was stuck solid in old port junk. I eventually had to get out the Hooka and hand dig the thing out. The swivel took a beating in the process. The forward tangs of the swivel bent. It didn't fail, but it isn't usable any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swivelIMG_6821.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	149115  

Tags
anchor