Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 11:20   #76

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Anchor Swivel Really Needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I recently refreshed our anchoring system with 160ft of 5/16 chain, 100ft of 5/8th rode and a 35 pound Mantus on our 31ft sailboat. I ordered a Lewmar anchor swivel but I'm kinda disapointed to see there's no apparent way to seize it with wire.....unlike the shackle I'm using now to connect chain to anchor. The swivel instructions call for anti-seize to be used on the threads.

Am I being overly worried and is a swivel even needed?
WOW, 35 LBS anchor on 31' boat. I just purchased a Rocna 10 kg which relates to 22 LBS for a 30' boat. My purchase was based on what the manufacturer recommended. What was the thought on the 35 LB anchor?
Old 31-01-2019, 12:23   #77

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We anchor out 365 days a year often in strong tidal areas so 180 degree shift every 6 hours or so.
No swivel and I can count on one hand how many times chain has had twist in the last 2 years.

That twist problem was reduced considerably when the rollers were grooved (done onboard with 100mm angle grinder) and was reduced totally when we replaced the chain recently as chain was slightly stretched in a big blow 2 years back.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:38   #78

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

No swivels for me, thank you.
Old 31-01-2019, 13:26   #79

Grooved roller + no swivel here
Old 31-01-2019, 13:52   #80

Boat: Amel 50

I've had great luck with the Mantus swivel on my ex-Lagoon 450. For my next boat, I am getting an oversized Ultra anchor and Ultra swivel.

To each his own...
Old 31-01-2019, 18:07   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Something I’ve been doing for a few years now... I’ve experienced personally and witnessed others get a hockle inside at the bitter end. How it happens I don’t know or can’t see the chain skip during a fast deployment when using the clutch to release. I like to use high tech line between chain end / attachment point inside the locker long enough to come up on deck and cut it if required. These twists can migrate to that line and have jambed up and into the hawse when dumping it all out, that’s not good. So I started installing a rated galvanized swivel right at the ultimate bitter end. Every so often I dump it all, let it unravel if required, check the all my gear for issues and clean the locker floor.
Did you know that a swivel or any bulk near the shank end of an anchor will limit an anchors ability to dive? Just throwing that out there.
Chris
Old 31-01-2019, 19:31   #82
cruiser

The anchor and swivel are worth every penny.
Old 31-01-2019, 22:43   #83

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Something I’ve been doing for a few years now... I’ve experienced personally and witnessed others get a hockle inside at the bitter end. How it happens I don’t know or can’t see the chain skip during a fast deployment when using the clutch to release. I like to use high tech line between chain end / attachment point inside the locker long enough to come up on deck and cut it if required. These twists can migrate to that line and have jambed up and into the hawse when dumping it all out, that’s not good. So I started installing a rated galvanized swivel right at the ultimate bitter end. Every so often I dump it all, let it unravel if required, check the all my gear for issues and clean the locker floor.
Did you know that a swivel or any bulk near the shank end of an anchor will limit an anchors ability to dive? Just throwing that out there.
Chris
Thanks Chris
Your advice makes good sense. I'll be making a few improvemts especially the rope at the end of the chain.
Old 31-01-2019, 22:49   #84

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

That ultra swivel looks like it can be side loaded like the proverbial dickens. My mantus swivel is the only thing I've ever seen or heard about made for direct to anchor attachment with zero side load, mousing points, openable for inspection, and in general beefier than the chain itself.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:32   #85
Marine Service Provider

I’ve got a bunch of busted swivels under my work bench and have personally seen broken swivels from every manufacturer without exception.
I don’t care who makes them but if swivels are sized according to manufacturer specs they will be the weak link in those certain circumstances.
If you can show me swivel with certification specs including a 90 deg tug at the shank I’ll buy one today. I want to play with it.
Chris.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:03   #86

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
I’ve got a bunch of busted swivels under my work bench and have personally seen broken swivels from every manufacturer without exception.
I don’t care who makes them but if swivels are sized according to manufacturer specs they will be the weak link in those certain circumstances.
If you can show me swivel with certification specs including a 90 deg tug at the shank I’ll buy one today. I want to play with it.
Chris.
Have a look at a Mantus swivel and explain to me how it is weaker than the chain it's connected to to, seriously, I'd like to know because from what I see it just can't be. What am I missing, please explain.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:16   #87
cruiser

Quote:
Chris.
Chris,

I'd be very interested to see a picture of an Ultra Anchor swivel failure if you actually have one.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:19   #88
CLOD

Boat: none

When I flipped my chain last month I took off the swivel. It had been on for about 5 years and probably at least a 1000 days of anchoring and looked almost new. But it would sometimes get hung up on the anchor if pulled in the wrong direction and would be a pain to get unstuck. Guess I'll find out soon if was doing anything positive.

I think having a swivel is just fine. It's like any part of your ground tackle, it all depends on whether you sized it and installed it properly.
Old 01-02-2019, 13:04   #89
Marine Service Provider

Kenomac, I’m at the Seattle boat show E820 if you’d like to talk about it in person.
I’d like to properly post with my viewpoint but just don’t have time at the moment.
Vancouver boat show is next.
It’s a very interesting subject that we should all learn a little more about.
Check out RF-271-F for all chain specs. Everything I do is typically based around G43 chain or whatever chain you happen to use. If it meets or exceeds those WLL, proof and ultimate breaking strengths then I’m satisfied to endorse. If it doesn’t I will tell you.
Ask me a question in detail and find the answer if even to educate myself.
Chris
Old 01-02-2019, 13:34   #90

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Chris.

It'd be nifty to see a list of exactly what brand/model/size swivels you've seen fail.

Prob'ly even better would be the extended info about the failed set-up (chain size and ratings, etc.) and circumstances during failure, but that'd likely be too ephemeral...

I don't understand your comment about manufacturer specs; would have thought if the swivel manufacturer's rating is equal to or greater than the chain rating... the chain would have the weakest link in there somewhere...

??

-Chris

Tags
anchor