Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 14:25   #46

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser View Post
GMac:

"Using one of those ones that look like 2 shackles bolted togeather back to back is HIGHLY NOT recommended as they are not tested and generally crap."

I'm finding ACCO offers just such a swivel (their model #4406-40001) which they rate at 3900#, the same as their H/T chain and shackles. This would probably be my replacement choice; can you lend any comments to this specific product re: your testing or what you hear professionally? It seems to be a good balance of strength, utility and price and I can pick it up easily e.g.
Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender|10391|33872|34760&id=33905

Many thanks!

Jack
That ACCO swivel actually has a WLL of 3/4T (yes, 1500 lbs.)! Contrary to the way it is advertised it does NOT match the WLL of ACCO 5/16 HT.

I'm holding one in my hand and the WLL rating is cast in raised letters. I bought one based on the claim that it matches 5/16 HT chain, but if one were to use it -- it would be the weak link. I never bothered to return it, so it sits unused in my boat spares bin. If anyone wants it a a low cost, PM me.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 14:36   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I typically anchor in one location no longer than a week. I used a galvanized swivel for many years, but, from the twist in my chain, I had no indication that it swiveled. For the last ten years I have not used a swivel and I have no reason to miss it!
Old 09-01-2011, 15:02   #48

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
No piece of equipment manufactured in China has any place in the makeup of ground tackle aboard any boat that is worth keeping off of the beach.

JMHO.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:04   #49

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
I am in the swivel camp. Last summer I purchased a galvanized one from West Marine for about $50. It is huge as swivels go and it is attached to the chain and anchor with good quality shackles.

For me at least, there is no debate........"should I swivel or not?"

I upgraded my anchor from a 55# Delta to an 88# Delta because I could not rely on the 55 setting. Then I noticed that when I retrieved the anchor, the chain was always twisted. I believe the #$%^& anchor was laying on its side or even up-side-down. Now of course, because I upgraded my anchor and added a swivel one could argue that it was the fault of the 55 for not setting.

If you are not using all chain, you may not NEED a swivel but I am all chain and I also no longer have a problem with the anchor setting.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:21   #50
Marine Service Provider

Swivels have no impact whatsoever on the anchor's performance on the seabed.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I am in the swivel camp. Last summer I purchased a galvanized one from West Marine for about $50. It is huge as swivels go and it is attached to the chain and anchor with good quality shackles.

For me at least, there is no debate........"should I swivel or not?"

I upgraded my anchor from a 55# Delta to an 88# Delta because I could not rely on the 55 setting. Then I noticed that when I retrieved the anchor, the chain was always twisted. I believe the #$%^& anchor was laying on its side or even up-side-down. Now of course, because I upgraded my anchor and added a swivel one could argue that it was the fault of the 55 for not setting.

If you are not using all chain, you may not NEED a swivel but I am all chain and I also no longer have a problem with the anchor setting.

Foggy
What Craig says, and also there is NO WAY any genuine Delta "was laying on its side or even up-side-down". Take any Delta to shallow or clear water and pull on any angle to see -- it will ALWAYS lay with the tip down and any further pull will set it, if the bottom can be penetrated.

Your swivel has nothing to do with how an anchor sets.
Old 10-01-2011, 20:04   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i wouldnt use one . not ever. they are STILL unreliable.
stainless for ground tackle is for show only.
only thing a swivel is GOOD for is giving ME new anchors( yours--thanks!!)...LOL

sorry--i aint lyin. i got a coupla anchors that way-- found by friends who shared.>!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:09   #53

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
If you use a swivel, how do you determine when the wear on it necessitates replacement? Every time it swivels, it wears a bit and the breaking point lowers. I don't want to have to worry about it and see no need for them. I have all chain and the anchor comes up in the correct direction 90% of the time, and it's not difficult to swing it around when it isn't.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:09   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
they are STILL unreliable.
stainless for ground tackle is for show only.
Nonsense. Be specific.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:15   #55

IMHO a swivel makes sense only on a permanent mooring or long-term anchorage when you stay for weeks or more. There might be some rare circumstances where a transient anchoring boat might benefit such as in a reversing current that causes you to spin several times a day. Generally any well-designed roller has a groove in it that will straighten out a twisted chain as it comes aboard (as will the windlass chain gypsy), and a well balanced anchor such as a Spade, Rocna, Delta, Manson Supreme, or claw style will self-right as it tips up into the roller.
Old 10-01-2011, 21:19   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sailfasttri-- most all the breakaways on our moorings have been from swivel failure. i see no reason to place a swivel on any kind of ground tackle, muchless for long term use--makes no sense. especially in areas with notoriously high winds.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 22:47   #57

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Stainless for ground tackle is for show only. Not nonsense, Craig just wants to sell you a stainless Rocna for 85 zillion doll hairs.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 00:08   #58

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
I've used a stainless swivel for 7 years, 20-30 days a year, love it. My mooring is suseptible to 3-4kt currents, and yes, I do worry about my Canadian made swivels, but not nearly as much as if they were made in China. a DIVE AND EXAMINATION, AT LEAST YEARLY HELPS.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 00:36   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Stainless for ground tackle is for show only. Not nonsense, Craig just wants to sell you a stainless Rocna for 85 zillion doll hairs.
Stainless is good for parts of your ground tackle which have parts which need to slide easily, like swivels.

If I could afford it, I would have a stainless chain, too. Slides much better in and out of the chain locker and doesn't pile up in that irritating cone.

I suppose I wouldn't refuse a stainless anchor if someone gave me one for free. Would look pretty in the anchor roller. But I can't think of any functional advantage, unlike the cases of stainless swivels and chain.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 00:38   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sailfasttri-- most all the breakaways on our moorings have been from swivel failure. i see no reason to place a swivel on any kind of ground tackle, muchless for long term use--makes no sense. especially in areas with notoriously high winds.
It was almost impossible to get our anchor on board before we installed a swivel. Some boat/ground tackle combinations need it, some don't. Ours does. We went with a massive oversized Kong swivel to reduce the risks inherent in swivels.

The Kong swivels seem to be designed to resist the jaw spreading problem -- the jaw which goes on the anchor shank is held together by a massive interlocking pin. And Kong gives a safe working load rating for the side loads, not just the direct pull loads. Our swivel is rated at 3000 kg safe SIDE load. Since our 12mm G40 chain is rated at 2000 kg safe working load, it seems to me that our swivel is NOT any kind of weak link. Even the side pull safe working load exceeds the chain's overall safe working load, and the swivel's straight pull safe working load is a massive 9500 kg.

The one thing which bothers me about the Kong swivels is that the pin on the chain side is held in place only by a set screw which has no provision for a locking wire. I use Loctite as recommended.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor