Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 19:56   #181

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Anchor Swivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
...change the bow shackles and/or swivels every year too. Even if galv and looking good. Cheap insurance.
Why on earth would you do that? IF the old one is not rusty or deformed, it is obviously up to the job. How do you know that a new one will be as good?. That isn't insurance at all...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-11-2012, 20:06   #182

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Why on earth would you do that? IF the old one is not rusty or deformed, it is obviously up to the job. How do you know that a new one will be as good?. That isn't insurance at all...

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim

The way I see it, these things only fail through fatigue. When you buy a good quality, tested, new one, it has not gone through any stresses. They have a better chance of not having a problem and they cost very little. It is just the chance I take.

Cheers!

M
Old 19-11-2012, 14:52   #183

Boat: CS 36t

For the vast majority of people, a properly sized shackle will never be subject to fatigue. At low enough stress levels, you are below the infinite fatigue life which is where I would think that basically all of us operate meaning that an infinite number of cycles could be put on the part and it would never fail. This is one of the nice things about steel as opposed to many other materials in that there is effectively a stress level below which no cracking will form meaning that it will never wear out due to fatigue. In a really big blow like a hurricane, you would go over this stress threshhold and start the slow process of fatigue cracks forming. Provided that your gear is properly sized, you should never go into low cycle fatigue so you are still unlikely to ever get close to the fatigue life.

My personal rule is that I will replace everything after a really big blow where the loads are getting close to the working load limit. So far, I have never felt the loads were high enough despite a few named storms and nor'easters but sooner or later it will probably happen.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 19:04   #184

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Hi Jim

The way I see it, these things only fail through fatigue. When you buy a good quality, tested, new one, it has not gone through any stresses. They have a better chance of not having a problem and they cost very little. It is just the chance I take.

Cheers!

M
Well, most folks try to have shackles that approximately equal the chain's strength and material. I imagine that you do too.

Sooo, do you replace the chain every year for insurance's sake?

Same arguments apply IMO.

But really, if you feel better with this scheduled replacement, go for it. But to suggest it as good practice for newbies (or even experienced yotties) seems a bit extreme.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-11-2012, 19:50   #185

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Hi Jim

To a certain point I buy klem's argument. He points that after a big blow he would change everything. If by everything he means the shackle (s) that is, and particularly if there are swivels involved.

Even when you match the chain to the shackle, this is the weakest link in the whole system. It is where it is most likely to fail. It is the reason why you inspect this and not necessarily the rest of the chain link by link.

Like on most subjects on this forum, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. It is just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. It is impossible for me to prove that this is the best way to proceed. I also agree with your points and I just make it a question of personal choice.

Cheers!
Old 20-11-2012, 09:25   #186

Boat: Lagoon 440

Our swivel is capable of suspending our total weight of boat x 2.

Ultras take side load and the anchor sets far quicker as theres no influence from chain twist.

Anchor rotates to sit in bow roller in a heartbeat.

Ultra Anchors
Old 07-06-2015, 06:16   #187

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter

Here it is ten years after the last post on this issue and it's still relevant. I'm fiddling with my swivel and shackles yesterday and ended up taking the whole mess off. I ended up going with two slightly oversized shackles and wired them shut. Done. Now I gotta find a good use for that shackle, I spent too much money on it to let it sit there. Kb
Renasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:17   #188

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37 cutter

Okay, it's not been ten, I looked at the wrong date.....
Renasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:01   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
I have a stainless jaw jaw on my Delta anchor. I have been wondering if a swivel is a good idea. I have read that the swivel is the most likely place for a brake. What are your thoughts?
For your boat size, I would reject all of the SS boat jewelry. I our case, (58 feet & 36 tons) I searched for the hardware used by commercial and military vessels. We eventually picked and anchor forerunner. This is the smallest one available for our 7/16 G4.

The swivel easily passes the bow roller without bending loads on the swivel shank. The swivel is well above the anchor on a couple of links. Attach to the anchor using the D-shackle. The pin is NOT round but oval so that it is strongest in the tension direction.

Total cost was 180 bucks. Try to get that deal at We$t Marine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FORERUNNER.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	103351   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6807.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	103352  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FORERUNNER 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	103353   Click image for larger version

Name:	US_Navy_051015-N-1189B-064_Deck_Department_personnel_attach_a_pelican_hook_to_the_port_anchor_ch.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	103354  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:07   #190

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
For your boat size, I would reject all of the SS boat jewelry. I our case, (58 feet & 36 tons) I searched for the hardware used by commercial and military vessels. We eventually picked and anchor forerunner. This is the smallest one available for our 7/16 G4.

The swivel easily passes the bow roller without bending loads on the swivel shank. The swivel is well above the anchor on a couple of links. Attach to the anchor using the D-shackle. The pin is NOT round but oval so that it is strongest in the tension direction.

Total cost was 180 bucks. Try to get that deal at We$t Marine.
Where did you order your setup from?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:24   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Where did you order your setup from?
two sources:

Anchor Chain Swivels

Swivel Assembly | Anchor Marine

Ask for a swivel with links. Buy the connecting hardware separately. The assembly will be furnished hot-dip galvanized. Call them and say what chain & anchor you have so the staff can apply the links & hardware to your exact chain to make sure it will fit.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor