Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-04-2011, 09:47   #31
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Anchor Stowage For Sailing Offshore?

The last thing I'd want to do after a long passage, when fatigue becomes a factor, is manhandle an anchor onto the bow. Nor would I feel it safe to assume that conditions will be ideal for such an operation at the point I'm approaching landfall.

With 100 meters of chain in the chain locker, my 25 kilo anchor on the bow isn't going to make significant difference in terms of pitchpoling.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:57   #32

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
Yes, we leave the chain tensioned on the gypsy, and have never experienced or worried about windlass damage being done from wave strikes.
I had always thought that it was undesirable to leave the chain tensioned on the gypsy, blue water or not, because the ever-so-slight movement of the chain working back and forth under tension will cause wear on the gears, spline, etc. Interesting to hear this hasn't been a factor for Insatiable.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i have my primary set up on deck with my 60 pound bruce under my walker bay on my deck, closer to my mast-- where it fits well f or the trip-- to be used when i get to destination of choice for anchoring.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29   #34

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have my primary set up on deck with my 60 pound bruce under my walker bay on my deck, closer to my mast-- where it fits well f or the trip-- to be used when i get to destination of choice for anchoring.
That sounds like a good plan to me.

Most of us have more than 1 anchor, and few of us have ALL of our spare anchors mounted on a bow roller for imediate deployment. 1 anchor on the bow for an emergency, and if the primary anchor isn't enough it will hold long enough for me to go below and get the big guy. For convenience I generally keep only the "lunch hook" on the bow anyway, (90% of my anchoring).
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The last thing I'd want to do after a long passage, when fatigue becomes a factor, is manhandle an anchor onto the bow. Nor would I feel it safe to assume that conditions will be ideal for such an operation at the point I'm approaching landfall.

With 100 meters of chain in the chain locker, my 25 kilo anchor on the bow isn't going to make significant difference in terms of pitchpoling.
You don't wait until the last minute to put the anchor back on the bow. You do it long before you might need it, just as you do many things on a boat.

On my two or three-week passages between California and Hawaii, once we are well offshore I sometimes take my 60# anchor off the bow and secure it down low in a cockpit locker, lashing it to padeyes that are installed with large backing plates for just this purpose. I also make sure the anchor chain is as far aft in the chain locker as I can put it. I also consume the water from the forward tank first. This removes a huge amount of weight from the bow and does somewhat reduce the hobby-horsing.

I get the anchor back on the bow at least 24 hours before we make landfall.

We also carry a lightweight Fortress anchor on the stern pushpit, which is rigged and ready to go at all times.

And sometimes I just don't bother moving the anchor, but do make sure it's well-secured. It depends on the conditions, and my attitude. If I were harbor-hopping, the anchor would stay on the bow.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39   #36

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good plan, Paul... that pretty much mirrors my thinking but says it better than I could. Capt Phil
Old 16-04-2011, 11:16   #37

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

Having crossed the Atlantic three times in three years with the primary anchor secured on the bow roller, I can second the notions that a) we didn't notice any performance issues, b) we were very glad not to have to deal with transporting and securing an anchor below decks and c) we were very glad to have the anchors ready to deploy at landfall without hassle. In the latter, we were outrunning a storm and had to be prepared to avoid a rocky and poory charted lee shore. We were very glad to have our anchor ready without getting it on deck in 20 foot confused seas as we neared land. And on numerous other offshore passages, having it ready to deploy was essential. We would have had to heave to and remain far offshore until the seas calmed otherwise. Not ideal.

We used to have a giant Luke in the bilge disassembled and stored. It had never been used by any of the prior owners. The guy we bought the boat from told us he used to hire locals to move the anchors and chain back so the bow wouldn't bury on crossings. We never had any issue like that. I guess it's a matter of what you've been taught.
Old 16-04-2011, 11:38   #38

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I've read and heard that many long-distance cruisers recommend removing anchor(s) from bow pulpits and stowing them somewhere low in the boat & midships when sailing offshore. I understand the reasoning, but am having trouble figuring out the practicalities of finding a safe place to stow and properly secure my 70 & 55lb. anchors in this fashion so that they won't cause any damage in heavy seas. I have substantial rollers on my bow pulpits, along with wire lanyards secured to bow cleats to prevent them from going anywhere. In rougher conditions, I lash them down further with good quality line.

Any thoughts from long-distance cruisers out there??
Wow, nothing like first-hand experience to gather advice & info from. I'm sure the size, weight, etc. of one's boat also informs on the decision. Mine is heavy displacement for it's size and has a lot of ballast weight in the keel. Even assuming the chain weighs 1lb/ft., this is still a low percentage of weight on the bow for my boat. Now I just need to figure out the most secure way of lashing the anchors down on their pulpits.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 19-04-2011, 18:20   #39

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

I have had more problems with leaving an anchor on the bow then from storing it somewhere else. One event was the anchor freeing itself and pounding the bow about three feet below water line - and of course in nasty weather at night. Another event was having the anchor punch its way up through the bow pulpit of my cutter - going to weather, nasty weather, dark and stormy night etc etc. So - I don't move the anchors now for weight concerns (although that is a benefit), I move them so they don't beat the living cr@p out of my boat when I get caught in a frontal system or a big squall or have to beat to weather...
As Paul Eliot notes, you take it off a couple of days out, and re-ship it a day or two before landfall. There really isn't any place (repeat: any place) you can anchor out in the middle of the Pacific on a three or four week passage...

Michael
Old 19-04-2011, 23:34   #40

Boat: Pearson 281

Haven't gotten the stowage thing refined yet... our lunch hook(35# Delta) is compact enough and light enough to live right in the chocks up forward but our main bower, a 45# Northill is another kettle of fish. Will probably stow it under the floorboards centerline on longer passages but not sure how I will deal with it for short hops.
Old 21-04-2011, 05:17   #41

Racing we can and have stripped all off the deck, windlass included, covered the holes with a custom plate and moved the chain back. Short jumps we leave it all in place. Distance jumps, more then 1,000 miles I would probably strip it all off, store it below, and move the chain back to the mast base.

We use halyards to move everything.
Old 23-04-2011, 06:03   #42

I think you should always have one anchor up on the bow, nearly ready to go. I would take off a second heavy anchor for offshore, if that was my set up. Yes, offshore it requires extra lashings, etc. to make sure there is no way it is going to come loose, no matter what. But, approaching the coast in a rough sea is no time to be trying to move a huge hunk of pointy steel about on deck. I think of times when we've had a rough passage and it would have been very difficult to get the anchor forward while approaching harbor, yet I might have needed it at a moment's notice if something had gone wrong. Always have one anchor on the bow ready to go, offshore or inshore.
Old 23-04-2011, 06:32   #43

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I made up about a 20", small diameter piece of wire rope with a stout caribiner secured to each end. This goes underneath both bow cleats so it's secure but doesn't interfere with using the cleats themselves for docking or using the anchor snubbers. Each caribiner is then clipped to a link of my 3/8" chain close to the swivels for each anchor. The snubbers tied off to the cleats can be used for extra security as a previous poster suggested. The chain for my primary 70-lb'er will also stay locked onto the windlass gypsy. If nothing moves, then this shouldn't put any appreciable strain on the windlass from wave action.

Svcambria's experience of anchors dislodging in rough seas is well-taken. I'm just as concerned, however, with a heavy anchor coming loose when it's stowed belowdecks and wreaking havoc.

Tags
anchor, offshore, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: