Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 09:13   #46

Re: Anchor Sizing . . . Newbie Grateful for Help !

Hi Cat Man...you gotta DO it the only way...like I did, build it here....
for photos and some funny stories of the build see
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ase-49854.html

Your input from my P.M. is greatly appreciated and with the photos from that thread, you may better understand what I am up against.
Thanks
Larry
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 08:49   #47

Hello All:
This is what I finally came up with....and it did go WAY oversize on the anchor....Fully double the manufacturers recommend size.
This is the complete system....
I brought 2 anchors because they were so damn cheap..the S.S. plow was about was $350 for 70 pounds, the galvanized wing was $65 for about 65 pounds.
1400 watt winch was about $500
14 mm double braided nylon rope, got a sample and it passed the tests and was all of 30 cents a foot.
S.S.everything, these links are to photos of all the parts, the P.I. and a pic of the rope.
I did not go danforth as I was worried about twisting it up and they did not have a bow roller for the danforth.
The whole mess with freight was about $1,500.Import tax will be about $300..then I have to get it to my island, but that is outside the scope of the actual costs.
So this is the system for less then $2000. With a three year guarantee.
thoughts and opinions are welcome..Thanks everybody for your help.
It should be here in 4 to 5 weeks at which point I will post some pix of the welds on the anchors, the chain....
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61531697/Larry%20PI5.15.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61531697/dou...id%20rope_.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61531697/Lar...0solutions.pdf
Old 26-05-2012, 10:54   #48

wow, that drum winch is cool... how much will it hold do you know? Great job, looks like a good anchor package...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 15:45   #49

my anchorages are shallow and fair weather.
I have 225 feet of 14 mm double braid and 5 meters of chain.
It can hold 375 feet of 10 mm with 5 meters of chain.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:53   #50

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I think your nylon 14mm is a tad light--I use 20mm.

I have not read all of the posts but for short scope anchoring there is one thing you should use--and that is an "Angel" or "Kellick" which is simply a thirty pounds iron weight, which is shackled on to the chain part of the rode a couple of metres from the chain to nylon splice--which I prefer to be thimbled if practical--that is if it does not have to go down the hawse or spurling pipes.

An angel gives you a superior angle from the load to the anchor--so you can get away with a shorter scope. When it clears the water you have to grap a lanyard (fitted to it previously) withn your boat hook so that you gan lift it out of the bow rollers and undo it--since it has to stay on the forecastle.

Over the years I have made mine up out of scrap steel or iron shafting, as long as it is not sharp edged. Cast iron I like--even used weightlifter's weights on a large eye-bolt put through the holes and secured with nuts and washers as a shaft with nuts and washers. An angel also gives you a softer time on an anchor in a blow--not only do you have some give in the elastic nylon but the angel lifts from the sea bed and eases the shock if the waves are getting a bit large.

For an all-chain rode I recommend them--especially if the chain is only ten millimetres. An angel make it much easier on your cleats and deck bollards. A boat surging back against an anchor well bedded will either strain the system or drag the anchor. An angel just makes it a bit safer.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor