Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34   #31

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Anchor Shackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
but... 2 foot??! I have way more chain out than that and think a length of say 30' will outperform the two shackles with twist many times...
thats what i figured....if i had 100 foot of chain, that would surely allow enough twist to avoid the need for 2 shackles
Old 07-03-2013, 11:11   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
but... 2 foot??! I have way more chain out than that and think a length of say 30' will outperform the two shackles with twist many times...
Yes, you are correct for what is out as scope, rotation is not problem.
The two opposing shackles help when all the chain is already in and your anchor is close to the bow roller. Some cruisers at this point like to be able to rotate or orient the anchor to the proper position before bringing it home. Two opposing shackles make rotation easy. Not needed all the time just sometime.

Some cruisers say that their anchor never comes up backwards, so this option would be foreign to them.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Yes, you are correct for what is out as scope, rotation is not problem.
The two opposing shackles help when all the chain is already in and your anchor is close to the bow roller. Some cruisers at this point like to be able to rotate or orient the anchor to the proper position before bringing it home. Two opposing shackles make rotation easy. Not needed all the time just sometime.

Some cruisers say that their anchor never comes up backwards, so this option would be foreign to them.
Ah! We have a sqivel actually and our anchor always comes up backwards... But it will turn itself, all 176 lbs, when the shank comes horizontal on the roller.

I can understand you want a half turn room which chain might not give with the windlass is close by.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52   #34

Boat: Allures 44

If you use two shackles as depicted in the photo, with the shackle pin through the eye in the anchor, does this prevent the shackle from pivoting smoothly (in the eye of the anchor) in a veering situation?
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 13:43   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

On paper, a well matched shackle (i.e. pin one size up chain size) will outdo the chain BUT I have seen tests where shackles snapped much closer to their WLL than chains (In effect, well matched shackles snapped before the chain did).

So, the WLL counts little once we allow for the fact that WLL/BL for the chain and the shackle may be (and most of the time will be) different.

Solution?

Wichard HR.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 13:53   #36

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
If you use two shackles as depicted in the photo, with the shackle pin through the eye in the anchor, does this prevent the shackle from pivoting smoothly (in the eye of the anchor) in a veering situation?
The two shackles will work fine in a 90 degree veering pull just as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 14:02   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor Shackle

LOL... guess no ones familiar with tightening the pin till its sticking well outa the other side... then give it a good bashing with a ball pin hammer... its gonna go nowhere..
Years of maintaining moorings and setting up my own anchors never had it fail.. 10/c of wire don't last long if your anchored for a while in a tidal area around the UK... abrasion will do it in in short order.
Mind... we do have serious tide's.. somewhere like Poole where I was based we have two highs for every low... go figure..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:08   #38

Boat: Triangle 40

Respect Murphy's Law. If it can come apart, eventually it will. Always mouse.
fishtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:09   #39

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Solution?

Wichard HR.

b.
Be careful with dissimilar metals underwater. The swivel on my mooring came undone because it was too close to a stainless thimble. And it seems that the stainless wire mousing eats the zinc layer on my anchor shackle.

I fear that an HR shackle could have the same effect on the anchor and the first chain link.

For this reason, I would stick to galvanized carbon steel for the shackles and mousings.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:12   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor Shackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Be careful with dissimilar metals underwater. The swivel on my mooring came undone because it was too close to a stainless thimble. And it seems that the stainless wire mousing eats the zinc layer on my anchor shackle.

I fear that an HR shackle could have the same effect on the anchor and the first chain link.

For this reason, I would stick to galvanized carbon steel for the shackles and mousings.

Alain
But its not shiney... how dya know when its gone...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 16:50   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Seizing wire used to be made from Monel but China bought it all. Monel does play nice with galvanized steel. Glad I have a decent stock of it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:03   #42

But of course... most people are using stainless wire to mouse their galvanized shackles including the pros who set up and rent moorings. Apparently, they survive a season to be replaced.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:28   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post

Alain
I think this may be the case on a mooring but I only ever anchor for short periods of time: days, max. weeks.

If we look at the matter from a different angle, then one can imagine that a SS shackle being slicker will rub the zinc on the anchor less...

Galvanized shackles, I do not mouse them, I use the models with a collar and I screw the pin real well.

I like quality galvanized shackles above SS ones, but they are very difficult to buy today, unless one stocks up in a place that still has them.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 16:15   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Yes it is an ACCO 5/16" G4 chain using Crosby 7/16, G-209A Shackle

They are snug, but mate perfectly.

Most cruisers are not aware of this chain to shackle combination and that is why I did the close up photos.
I use a 7/16" G-209a with my Acco 5/16" G70 chain. it does fit.

You can get G-209a at your local rigging supply (as in crane rigging). IN portland Or try Rigging products: Rigging Products, Inc. Sales Online

From the Crosby catalog:

Maximum Proof Load is 2 times the Working Load Limit (metric tons) and 2.2 times the Working Load Limit (short tons). Minimum Ultimate Strength is 4.5 times the Working Load Limit for metric tonnes, and 5 times the Working Load Limit for short tons. For Working Load Limit reduction due to side loading applications,
see page 8
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 16:35   #45

Community Sponsor

You can now buy the Crosby G-209A Shackles from Defender
They stock them now after reading this thread.

Just gotta love the Cruisers Forum

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...38271&id=33936

Tags
anchor