Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 06:26   #16

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Anchor Shackle

Quote:
Yes it is an ACCO 5/16" G4 chain using Crosby 7/16, G-209A Shackle
Great stuff! I remember trying a standard Crosby 7/16" 209 (galvanized) shackle to my 5/16" chain, and it did not fit. I guess the galvanizing makes the pin a little thicker than the alloy pin on the 209A.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39   #17

My experience with trying to open shackles... on moorings and replacing on the anchor chain is that it was almost impossible to loosen the bolt... Admittedly my experience is limited to perhaps doing this on 20 shackles over 28 years and the sample space is low... and I DO mouse my shackles... but I am thinking that if they are really well tightened this is over kill... especially since they get frequent visual inspection on the anchor-chain connection.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49   #18

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
My experience with trying to open shackles... on moorings and replacing on the anchor chain is that it was almost impossible to loosen the bolt... Admittedly my experience is limited to perhaps doing this on 20 shackles over 28 years and the sample space is low... and I DO mouse my shackles... but I am thinking that if they are really well tightened this is over kill... especially since they get frequent visual inspection on the anchor-chain connection.
I suppose it is possible to ratchet the pin off in an hour or less in the right conditions. So look at this another way...it takes 15 minutes (find the wire, etc.) to seize the shackle to pretty much assure that it is permanently secure. The downside of the pin coming could be loss of boat and loss of life. When you are trying to get some rest you will be thinking about that shackle and pin. This is a no-brainer.

I question the practice of using a zip tie. Maybe this has been discussed in detail in other threads but zip ties get brittle and/or rot. Plus, they have minimal strength. Why not do the job right instead of having the well being of an expensive yacht depend on a 2 cent zip tie.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Isn't it amazing the lengths to which people go to convince others that mousing the shackle isn't needed!? Why, why would you want others to not mouse their shackle? To help them save $0.25 or 10 minutes of their time? It can't be definite overkill because there are too many documented cases of worked loose shackles. It doesn't matter that your pin is always stuck... it only matters that others sometimes get undone.

I saved a boat from the rocks, their shackle was still on the anchor, with the pin halfway in. I just hope others mouse their shackle so that they never need saving...

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I suppose it is possible to ratchet the pin off in an hour or less in the right conditions. So look at this another way...it takes 15 minutes (find the wire, etc.) to seize the shackle to pretty much assure that it is permanently secure. The downside of the pin coming could be loss of boat and loss of life. When you are trying to get some rest you will be thinking about that shackle and pin. This is a no-brainer.

I question the practice of using a zip tie. Maybe this has been discussed in detail in other threads but zip ties get brittle and/or rot. Plus, they have minimal strength. Why not do the job right instead of having the well being of an expensive yacht depend on a 2 cent zip tie.
Good to see it's not only Gord and me like usual
Old 07-03-2013, 06:55   #21

Boat: Boereal 44

Thanks all for the great posts on an important subject. It's a shame that more marine stores do not sell Crosby shackles. I always make it a habit to complain every time I walk into a west marine or Fisheries Supply but the sales people just look at you with dumb stare.

I'm looking for European shackles that equal the Crosby 209-A. I know they are out there, I believe they are Danish made. Anyone know the company.
Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:55   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I agree that anchor shackles are almost always stuck. Not mousing them, however, has such a small reward (a couple minutes and a couple nickles) versus such a HUGE risk (the loss of your boat) that I can't even believe that we're discussing it!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02   #23

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I agree that anchor shackles are almost always stuck. Not mousing them, however, has such a small reward (a couple minutes and a couple nickles) versus such a HUGE risk (the loss of your boat) that I can't even believe that we're discussing it!
If we could tell when it's stuck...and when it is stuck tight enough, we also wouldn't need to have the discussion. We would only seize the shackles that needed the treatment. The remainder we could save the 10 minutes of effort.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

10 minutes and 10 cents HUMMM is it worth it to spend so much time and money just to know my boats safe ?? Damn Im gonna have to think about that one a long time!! Im so broke and have so little time !! and anchors are really cheap!! Come on guy's it's the seaman like thing to do !! just one of those little things that seperate the sailors from the dock queens LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29   #25

Boat: Cal 2-27

great safety wire!

regarding the use of 2 shackles, wouldn't that just be the same as a few links of chain? would not spin all the way around, so kind of redundant.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52   #26

I watched a boat almost go on the rocks on the west coast of Mexico, because they didnt safety wire the anchor shackle. It was just before dark when they realized that they were slowly drifting towards the rocks. If it had been after dark they probably would not have noticed in time to save the situation. ALWAYS safety wire your shackles!!!!_____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Dab of lanacote and mousing wire. Just my 2p worth.

Lanacote means you can undo it when you want to and mousing wire means it doesn't when you don't want it to!
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:08   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I always recommend using the Crosby G-209A Shackle instead of the standard G-209.
From memory one thing to bear in mind with that is the factor of safety (fos) of maximum breaking load (mbl or mbs) against working load limit for the 209A is something like 4 or 4.5 to one while on the 209 it's more like 6 to one. So the 209a is definitely stronger and a better shackle but the increase in tensile strength might not be as much as you think, a 1.5t WWL 209 might be as strong as a 2t WWL 209A. WWL's & SWL's can be a bit of a minefield with many a different FAS, it's well worth digging out the MBL from the datasheets.

But the 209a is still a posh shackle
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11   #29

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
great safety wire!

regarding the use of 2 shackles, wouldn't that just be the same as a few links of chain? would not spin all the way around, so kind of redundant.
Choosing to use 2 opposing shackles is done to allow a bit more chain to anchor rotation (Swivel).

This is done, so you do not have to use a swivel, as some cruisers believe they have issues.

If you where to pull tight a 2 foot piece of chain between both hands and twist you will see that the chain has very little rotation (Swivel).

Using 2 opposing shackles gives you much more rotation without the Swivel issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 shackles.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	56387  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Choosing to use 2 opposing shackles is done to allow a bit more chain to anchor rotation (Swivel).

This is done, so you do not have to use a swivel, as some cruisers believe they have issues.

If you where to pull tight a 2 foot piece of chain between both hands and twist you will see that the chain has very little rotation (Swivel).

Using 2 opposing shackles gives you much more rotation without the Swivel issues.
but... 2 foot??! I have way more chain out than that and think a length of say 30' will outperform the two shackles with twist many times...

Tags
anchor