Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 15:15   #1

Boat: O'Day 302
Anchor setup for an O'Day 302

I have been working on getting an acceptable setup on the bow for my anchor system. I am not ok with the current situation, which as the picture shows my anchor secured to the toe rail with a lanyard and a second line securing the anchor itself. The anchor has not been all the way back in the bow roller since I've owned the boat.

If I pull the anchor all the way back on the bow roller, there isn't enough room for me to pass a starboard line through the slot and then tie off onto the center cleat. Also, if I pull the anchor all the way into the bow roller, the end of the shank rides on the deck and will rub the gelcoat off.

I am looking for advice on what I can build to to make this a more acceptable and permanent solution while I have the boat on the hard for the winter.

I posted in the O'day owners group back in May (302 Anchor question - SailboatOwners.com). There were some good suggestions there, but most didn't solve the problem that if the anchor is pulled back in the roller, I can't pass the starboard dock line through.

I will get rid of the swivels as they suggested. I just haven't done it yet.

Thanks!
Mackaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 21:29   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Anchor setup for an O'Day 302

Post a photo so we can help.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 06:07   #3

The first shot and second shots show what the previous owner ( and I did) for the first year. Not great.

The other shots show what it looks like if you pull it all the way back into the bow roller.

It also has a propensity to hit the bow (I have some gel coat repair to do now) if it is is all the way in the roller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7390.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	94312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7397.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	94313  

Name:	IMG_7391.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	94314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7394.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	94315  

Old 26-12-2014, 09:05   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Could you move the roller to the outer/upper hole? Or remove the roller and fit another (longer) roller assembly inside the track? Just thinking out loud here.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 09:33   #5

Cant you just tie it to the cleat with a lanyard?
How big is that Bruce anchor? Is it possible a newer gen anchor will have better holding and shorter shank?
There are SS fittings that are U shaped (or channel shaped) with a captive pin that goes thru the hole in the shank or thru a link of chain. The anchor rests in the U and you slide the pin in and rotate. That would work if you can rotate the shank slightly to the side of the Cleat. I used one recently to hold the anchor.
. I'll see if I can find a pic.
A small piece of Starboard could be sealed under the shank to keep from rubbing, but I doubt you need it.

The one I had looked a bit like this but no flapper... just a pin. I got it from that guy that sells SS hardware out of Canada.... I forget the name, "xxx Marine" but it was less than $20. The cradle shape kept the shank off the deck and held it securely.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:12   #6

Here it is: Marine part Depot: Stainless Steel Anchor Lock

Old 28-12-2014, 06:38   #7

I can tie the anchor to the cleat, and that is what the previous owner did. But when tied to the cleat, the shank of the anchor gets in the way of the toe rail pass throughs for the dock lines. (I think the last picture shows this).

Right now it is a 22 pound plow anchor. I do hope to upgrade it to a rocna or something similar in the near future, but its not in the cards at this moment.

I may try mounting the anchor to a forward bow roller, but I will still have to figure out how to secure it. How hard is the U-bracket to mount?
Old 28-12-2014, 06:41   #8

Goat....where would I find such an assembly? I feel that if I could mount another roller assembly that was long enough in the U of the roller assembly I have now, it would solve my problems. I just need it to extend a little further so the anchor doesn't get in the way of things.
Old 28-12-2014, 08:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackaroni View Post
I can tie the anchor to the cleat, and that is what the previous owner did. But when tied to the cleat, the shank of the anchor gets in the way of the toe rail pass throughs for the dock lines. (I think the last picture shows this).

Right now it is a 22 pound plow anchor. I do hope to upgrade it to a rocna or something similar in the near future, but its not in the cards at this moment.

I may try mounting the anchor to a forward bow roller, but I will still have to figure out how to secure it. How hard is the U-bracket to mount?
The U bracket has two holes for bolts going thru-deck.

Old 28-12-2016, 08:34   #10

I relied on the outer hole of the bow roller to secure the anchor.

I had a pin made from 1/4" stainless rod by bending 90 degrees at one end and drilling out a hole at other end for a zinc clip.

Then drilled through the anchor at the outer bow roller hole.

To prevent losing pin overboard both pin and clip are attached by lanyards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	138569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	138570  

pkrabbe is offline   Reply With Quote