Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 15:43   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
For chain, a rolling hitch works great to secure the snubber to the chain. The problem with a bowsprit is the bobstay will chafe the snubber. We had an extra puka in the bobstay fitting. Secured the snubber to the bobstay fitting with a shackle which worked great. Strain on chain was taken lower down so better angle for the pull on the chain and boat sailed around the rode way less than when we tried a bridle through the mooring chocks.

The Prussic knot and probably the Klemheist are supposed to be tied with a smaller diameter line than the primary line. That means a weak link. They also tied with a loop of rope so you have two rope joins. Some people say to use a rolling hitch on the rope road so you only have one join. Haven't tried it but have some doubts about a rolling hitch not sliding under tension on line on line.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:39   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I like skinny snubbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
I have a 5/8 nylon rode and I'm concerned about using a 3/8 snubber line for strength - my displacement is 22,000 lbs.
The point of a snubber is that you want it to stretch. And you want it to be somewhat disposable, because it's better to chaff a snubber than the main rode. Instead of making one big one, make two or three skinny ones.

So, yeah, I use a 3/8 snubber on an all-chain rode and my dispacement is 30,000lbs. I've had the current one for years--and we anchor out around 75 nights per year--and it still doesn't seem any worse for the wear.
Old 08-09-2009, 16:46   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
have I told this one?

My favorite snubber story:

Eight or nine years ago I was eye-splicing some three-strand nylon onto a chain hook to make a snubber, and I finally manufactured a perfect splice. It was absolutely textbook. I held it up for the Admiral to inspect and said, "Here you go, babe. The perfect splice."

She looked up from her reading, gave the splice a bored look, and said, "You forgot the thimble."

Sure enough, I'd left the thimble off. But I decided to use the new snubber anyway until it chafed through--after all, it was the perfect splice.

We've been using that snubber for the better part of a decade, and there's still no sign of chafing where the thimble should have gone.

Tags
anchor, bridle, rode