Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 19:31   #1

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Anchor Rode - 1/2" vs 9/16" vs 5/8"

I'm switching from 3 ply to 8 plait. There are simply too many problems getting the 3 ply to fall into my chain locker, and soaking it in fabric softener seems like a kludge.

I have a Lewmar "Concept/Ocean" electric windlass with the 002 gypsy rated for 1/2 to 5/8 inch rode (3 ply) and 5/16 chain. What size 8 ply rode should I get? My boat is a 30 ft full-keeled cutter and weighs about 13,000 lbs.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 20:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
8 plait is the same strength as 3 strand. It just handles nicer and a good choice for anchor rode. I would add at least one boat length of chain to the front of it. The extra chain helps a lot and saves wear and tear on the rode. 1/2 inch 8 plait would be about 6,400 lbs tensile strength and 6 1/2 lbs per 100 ft. Rather than getting bigger I would buy longer.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 06:12   #3

Like many boats, mine has two anchor rollers and two separate chain lockers. On the port side, I have an 8 plait and it just falls beautifully into its locker. Just feed it into the pipe and down it goes. I use this rode with my second anchor (25 lb Manson supreme) that I handle by hand (with 20 ft of chain). I can also use this rode for a sea anchor if I unshackle the chain. At my mooring, I stow this anchor and the chain and use the roller for the mooring line.

On my starboard roller I have a 35 lb CCR that can be raised and lowered using the electric Lewmar Ocean winch. The current rode is 3 ply and I hate it. Problems galore. I will have 30ft of 5/16 chain spliced to the rode, and I have plenty of space in the locker, especially since 8 plait takes up less. So really, the diameter question is about what will work best with the winch. Currently I'm thinking 5/8, since it may slip less. But perhaps that is a false assumption.
Old 27-03-2010, 07:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
... I will have 30ft of 5/16 chain spliced to the rode, and I have plenty of space in the locker, especially since 8 plait takes up less. So really, the diameter question is about what will work best with the winch. Currently I'm thinking 5/8, since it may slip less. But perhaps that is a false assumption.
I think that the 5/8" rope most closely matches the strength of the 5/16" chain.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 15:00   #5

Well, the deed is done. The 8 plait 5/8" rode with 30' of 5/16 chain is painted, installed and ready to go. The 3-ply is history. I donated it to the harbormaster, who said he would find a use for it.
Old 05-04-2010, 13:52   #6

Boat: Tomcat 9.7 (32') Quinita
I'm also considering 8 Plait spliced to chain. My question is about splicing technique.
One method (seemingly chosen by companies such as defender.com) is a back splice (show here 8 Plait Chain To Rode Splice).
An alternative, splices the line along the chain (shown here
South Wales Marine 8 Strand to Chain Splice).

It would seem to me that the splice along the chain would be better, since any chafing is spread over a much longer part of the rope. However I'm far from an expert in this area. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 14:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJJames View Post
I'm also considering 8 Plait spliced to chain. My question is about splicing technique.
One method (seemingly chosen by companies such as defender.com) is a back splice (show here 8 Plait Chain To Rode Splice).
An alternative, splices the line along the chain (shown here
South Wales Marine 8 Strand to Chain Splice).

It would seem to me that the splice along the chain would be better, since any chafing is spread over a much longer part of the rope. However I'm far from an expert in this area. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
I think what defender uses is actually an end splice, even though they call it a back splice. But I'm no expert either.
Old 05-04-2010, 14:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJJames View Post
... It would seem to me that the splice along the chain would be better ...
I agree.

Although I’ve habitually used a shackle or swivel (not permanent splice & no windlass), I’ll, nonetheless, opine that a proper warp chain splice will be preferred over a back splice.

See Also ➥ http://www.johndanicic.com/sailing%2...7_Splicing.pdf

And ➥ BlueMoment - Articles

Whatever splice you choose, the splice will have the potential of becoming a weak link in the system. Studies have been done that show the splice is very strong when it is new. Over time this splice can weaken. Some authorities suggest having the line re-spliced every two years, other suggest every 50 usages. The point is that this rope-to-chain splice cannot be put on the boat and forgotten for years at a time. It needs periodic inspection and replacement.

Old 06-04-2010, 19:50   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
especially since 8 plait takes up less.

How much less space does 8 plait take? I have read that 8 plait provides significantly less shock absorption than 3 ply, which to me seems like a disadvantage. It also has got to be more work to splice.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:40   #10

Well I haven't measured exactly but the point is that the 8-plait is much more limp and falls right down to the bottom of the locker. There is no bird's nest down there.

As for shock absorption, I've read (and have been told) that it has better shock absorption than 3 ply, which is the opposite of what you have been led to believe. (As with any topic related to ground tackle, there are widely divergent opinions.) If it's not stretchy enough, I'll get a snubber.

With the 3 ply, the line would not fall into the locker and would jam the windlass. I would then have to pull the anchor up by hand, and then go down to the forepeak and pull the rode down into the locker by hand, a foot or so at a time.

I told myself, never again.

I thought about going all chain but it's too heavy. 5/16 chain weighs about a pound a foot.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42   #11

Boat: Tomcat 9.7 (32') Quinita
Hmmm...
Defender claim that 8 plait has superior shock absorbancy. (8-Strand Plaited Rope). Do you recall where you read differently?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:18   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

See the manufacturer's specifications for elasticity or working elongation.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:13   #13

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I read 8 plait has less stretch, but it was on another forum, so it might be wrong.. I figured it would have less because of the tigher weave.

In any case, I have no problems with my line coiling, but I am only using 1/2", I can see how a bigger size would be more difficult. They make 12 plait too...
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 17:05   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Splice the 8-plait into the chain but do it right: the are 4 pairs and each pair has both a right-hand twisted strand and a left-hand twisted strand. Keep those pairs together and seize them together and the end of the splice to prevent them from slipping back through the chain.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode