Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 23:06   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Anchor quandry

I want to replace a very old cqr currently thinking about rockna manson or sarca excel.

This is our boat http://sailboat data.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4555

We have 20m of 10mm chain and then 3 strand nylon.

We usually anchor in sand sand/mud sometimes seagrass usualaly in about 5m depth

Without flaming me can anyone with experience of these anchors recommend one over the others?

With the quality issues of the rockna I am not so keen on it but do wonder if it is still a worthwhile choice

Cheers
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 23:59   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Anchor quandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZGrant View Post
I want to replace a very old cqr currently thinking about rockna manson or sarca excel.
Why? How often has it failed? And while on the subject, is your rode inadequate, and is that to be replaced too? with what?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 00:06   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I used to have a genuine CQR complete with a slightly bent shank.... I think they were actually designed as a mud anchor and it wasn't the best of anchors in kelp.
So I bought a Rocna... an NZ made one.... sets first time every time in kelp and elsewhere. In fact probably sets too well as the problems with the bent shanks seem to have occured when there was a wind change and the anchor was quite happy where it was and just did not want to reset....hence a heavy load being applied at 90* to the shank.

Doing it again? Yes I would go for that style of anchor... whether a Rocna or Manson or the Sarca would probably be a $ based decision.

My CQR not only had a bent shank but all the galvanising was long gone and it was almost paper thin on parts of the plow bit....

I also have on board a Manson CQR look alike which has never been wet, a Swarbrick which I have used in anger on hard sand, a Fortress which I think is under my bunk, and for a kedge I have a smallish danforth sort of a thing... also with a bent shank..... Rocna haven't cornered the bent shank market.

My #1 anchor is the Rocna but that would possibly change if I was sailing somewhere else.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 00:25   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

added bit... if I was sailing somewhere else such as WA or South Straya I may favour the Swarbrick.... dunno
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 00:34   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Why? How often has it failed? And while on the subject, is your rode inadequate, and is that to be replaced too? with what?
We have had this boat for less than a year so no failure yet. The previous owner bent the shank on a pole he tells me.

I would rather use an anchor with a straight shank tho.

We used a cqr on our last boat with no problems but if I am to replace this one then I think I might as well get a modern anchor.

I believe that our rode is adequate we spent new year on 10m of 10mm chain and 40m nylon in 10m water 30knots gusting to 50 and didn't move but we did put 10m more chain on after we got back.
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 06:32   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Of those three, I would pick on price and availability.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 07:26   #7

I added a 45 pound Mansom Supreme to supplement my 33 pound CQR and I was shocked at how much better the Manson performed where I boat (sand and mud bottom).

Huge difference that I really didn't expect. The Manson sets almost instantly compared to the CQR in my personal experiences with both.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 07:39   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Your choice of Rocna, Manson or Sarca Excel will all work well. Now just pick the one that you can get locally at good price.

Rocna quality issues are old news as they are all guaranteed for life. I have pictures of all the other ones with bent shanks that are not guaranteed for life, so you may need to pick your demons on that issue.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 07:41   #9

Mantus anchors are available at a good price here in the USA
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote