Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 13:52   #1

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'
Anchor line

Can anyone tell me the type of anchor line that dose not get knotted up easily ? Also can anyone tell what double braid MFP rope is used for ? What dose MFP stand for ? Thanks sincerely Steve.
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Anchor line

MFP stands for Multi-Filiment Polypropaline. It is basically a double braid poly line used for float lines, and small boat dock lines. It is wholy unsutable for use as an anchor line, or really much of anything on a sailboat. It does make really good ski lines.

The least tangling anchor line I know of is three strand, but only because it is so stiff it doesn't knot easily. My prefered line is a plaited line like octo-plait.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 00:37   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
What dose MFP stand for ?
As Stumble wrote above, MFP = multifilament polypropylene.

Polypropylene rope can be of two or three quite different staple dimensions:

* monofilament polypropylene, with each filament about 0.1 - 0.15 mm in diameter. Usually fairly low price. Monofilament polypropylene floats well in water, so it's commonly used by fishers as a tag line for fishtraps and pots. Cheap monofilament polypropylene usually lacks any coating protecting it from ultraviolet radiation, so sun exposure leads to the filaments breaking.

* multifilament polypropylene has filaments around 0.05 mm diameter. MFP used both in laid 3- or 4-strand and in double braid and other kernmantle rope. MFP double braid is usually coated to protect it from UV. MFP laid line is sometimes, especially in the larger diameters, coated with a UV-protector. Much of the smaller diameter laid MFP is not uv-protected (and not often seen outside of Japan and a very few other economies). 4-strand laid MFP is a pleasant cordage for roping steers. Don't rely on laid MFP or double braid MFP to float, but a few rope manufacturers have made floating MFP kernmantle specially for dinghy painters.

You can sometimes find polypropylene cordage in other staples, such as tape. Tape has a flat or oval filament, ranging from 0.06 - 0.1 mm across (and sometimes bigger).

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 05:20   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
----a few rope manufacturers have made floating MFP kernmantle specially for dinghy painters.
----
That's what I'd like to find. Anybody got a USA source or brand name?
Thanks
Old 20-11-2014, 06:33   #5

Boat: PT-11

No no no if you don't want your anchir line to kink and hockle, get dbl braid or 8 plait. Make sure it is nylon.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 07:40   #6

FSMike, I'd been looking on xbey when i found the MFP. And on there Dale's rope co seems to have the most of it & I think he lists tensile strength for his lines. Hamilton Alabama is were he ships from W / good price i guess . Rope Specialties ships out of Houston Texas seems to sell a lot of long rope, 3/8" x 600' Nylon anchor line $56+$23 shiping, 1/2"x 600' $99+$24ship,3/4"x600' $219+$52 ship Nylon,w/tensile strength listings. Blue ox rope has Arborist rigging rope/Halyard line of different types. I didn't see any strength listed. Maybe someone can tell me what Dacron is used for ? And PolyDacron Blend is used for ? And please what type line is the best 3/8 Halyard line is ? Thanks Stumble & Alan Mighty sincerely steve.
Old 20-11-2014, 07:58   #7

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
Can anyone tell me the type of anchor line that dose not get knotted up easily ?
Chain.

All chain.

But that is only if you value your boat.

Dhillen
Old 20-11-2014, 08:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Thanks
I wouldn't trust any poly line for anything. They turn to powder as soon as the UV coatings wear off. If you want a floating dinghy painter go with Dyneema. It's the strongest line on the market, and floats quite nicely.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 08:11   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

chain does not do this nor does chain chafe itself gone in a blow....
100 percent chain.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 08:27   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

::Â*Teufelberger:Â*New England Ropes

Good source of rope info.New England Ropes
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 11:26   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
NEW ENGLAND ROPES Floating Dinghy Tow Rope | West Marine

That's what I use on Led Myne: it's a double braid from New England Ropes. The sheath is braided nylon. The core is a loosely braided polypropylene.

The PP core is what makes it float.

The nylon sheath protects the PP from the UV. I found it more difficult that some double braid to splice. After 10 years, the nylon has faded in the sun.

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 20:03   #12

I have 2 shots of chain port, 3 shots of Sampson nylon starboard and 2 shots of 3 strand for my kedge. The kedge stuff is not great, but, it's nice to have some kedge rhode. Unless I suspect bad weather I use my starboard nylon. Chain is heavy, noisy and chafes.
My last boat had about 1/2 shot of chain and 1.5 shots of heavy nylon Sampson. Nice combination of shock absorption and holding power imho.
For heavy weather the chain ground tackle is imperative, at least 1/2 shot, but hard on your boat if your in a well protected bay and don't need that much holding power.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 20:19   #13

Oh, and I have 4 anchors, which some might criticise for a small boat.
I have a plow on my port, Danforth stbd, Danforth kedge and a big AP for emergency use. They are all aluminum. The AP breaks down into 3 parts and is stowed easily along my rail. I've never used the big AP. The previous owner used it in a hurricane in the Bahamas, with the chain. Saved the boat from beaching but caused damage to the two big cleats forward, which I have yet to repair.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 00:00   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

SAMSON super strong double braid nylon has a great feel, doesn't hockle. A pain to splice ( class 1). We have 5/8 and our gypsy takes it up wonderfully.
All chain is great. But there is also something said for the electicity of a partial rope rode.
Old 23-11-2014, 03:01   #15

I'll have to look into the SAMSON for my little 24'er . 3/8 is the biggest i can put in the small rocker i made into the bow & the only size i can get down the hole. Not to worry about my 2950 LBs sailor . I will have plenty of rode , chain and anchors before i'm done, now that i'm learning what to buy. Got to keep her in place. I'd rather buy a nice peace of equipment then pay for one night at a marina. Its all about the safety THANKS again everyone for your words of wisdom. Heading south someday soon i hope. Sincerely sailersteve.

Tags
anchor