Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2009, 11:52   #16

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Glad to hear the cost put into perspective.
What's a boat dollar or two compared with the value of the whole boat?

Aside from the looks, will a stainless anchor last forever? The galvanized ones will rust eventually.

I have never re-galvanized an anchor but the spade may not be a candidate due to the two part construction.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 13:30   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I have a 45lb CQR (plow) on 200' of 5/16"HT chain & a 45lb Bruce on 20' of chain wiht 250' of nylon rode. In addidtion, I have a rarely used 30lb folding grapnel for rock that I thought I would use more often in Maine, but not so. I find this combination suitable for my fulltime cruising needs from Maine to the Florida Gulf Coast & the Bahamas. 90% of my anchoring is in sand or mud between 10' and 20'. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 15:13   #18

Anchoring in Maine

It didn't take too long to figure out. There are places in Maine where you just don't anchor!
The good places are easy.
Old 22-12-2009, 15:16   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Be forewarned no anchors will work on Beneteau, Jeaneau, or Bavaria Boats!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 03:35   #20

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We used a 60lb manson Supreme, with all 3/8 chain with our 30K sailboat, and never, ever had a problem from CT to FL.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 06:19   #21

Boat: Shipman 50
I have used a Rocna this summer and am very pleased with it. It set each time and dug in very well. When the bottom is mud, it picks up mud at the roll barr joint. IMHO a minor point compaired to its safe holding.
yelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 07:16   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 38T "Penelope"
buying anchors

I'm in the Anchor buying mode. I just bought a FX-37 for a storm anchor for Penelope. I hope its big enough. I also have a 45#CQR , I'm going to buy a FX-21 this week. And I'm kind of looking at one more steel anchor. Penelope wieghs 17tons. And is 38ft long.
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 13:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I'm going to buy a FX-21 this week.
Why would you buy a smaller FX, if you're not certain the "37" is big enough?

I’d discount* the Fortress (and all manufacturers’) recommendations by (at least) one size:
http://www.fortressanchors.com/fortr...hor_guide.html

* Boat size recommendations are for boats of average windage and proportions in 30 knots of wind, average bottom conditions, and moderate protection from open seas. Remember that the loads in 42 knots of wind are twice as much as in 30 knots.

I think the Fortress anchors are a great value, and wouldn’t sail without one (or more) in my arsenal.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 09:34   #24

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
A few tests on the Ultra were done here. Check out post 39 and 46 by Gmac.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/rocna-doesnt-fit-do-i-go-with-ultra-or-delta-32052-2.html#post375721

I had a CQR 35 LB and I bought the ultra 35KG, but my boat is in storage for the winter, so, I will try it out in the spring.

the above thread discusses the issues at length. Mine were primarily to not change the bow chute which a Rocna would not fit.

But all indications are that the Ultra will perform as well as the Rocna.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 10:07   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
Now, the poster never read the earlier threads ? ;-))))

LOL

FACT: Depending on the bottom type at your location.

BIASED OPINION: Reportedly, the best all-rounders disputably are things like (I know, I am doomed) Spade, Manson Supreme and Rocna (brand names used only and exclusively for demonstration purposes). Some older designs (Delta, Bruce) are said to work fine (we had Bruce during our circumnavigation as the main anchor). Now, some older designs (e.g. CQR) have very strong following even though a group of pure maniacs (count me in) will claim they are not as good as the newer designs. BTW Fortress has good reputation too, esp in mud/sand areas.

FACT: Nothing beats a G4 10mm (3/8) chain and a lot of it. Except more and heavier chain can be carried and handled.

BIASED OPINION: Light polypropylene line will float and you can get it flashy green or rescue orange. I would go for the rescue orange one.

LOL

FACT: get yourself a GOOD (e.g. Bruce, Delta, Manson Supreme, Rocna, Spade, to name a few) OVERSIZED ANCHOR and attach it to your boat with high quality OVERSIZED CHAIN. Properly sized chain is still OK as long as it is properly sized.

BIASED OPINION: It is better to spend the money on an insurance policy and never leave the dock.

;-)))
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 11:07   #26

BTW

SS vs galvanized:

SS is nice and expensive while we do sometimes lose or abandon anchors. So, at least from the replacement cost perspective, a galvanized beats the SS.

b.
Old 30-12-2009, 12:09   #27

Boat: Hans Christian 38T "Penelope"
Heres Penelopes Anchoring Gear Primary 45# CQR 300 ft 3/8ths BBB 100ft 5/8ths nylon. FX-21 as secondary anchor 15ft 3/8ths BBB 300ft of 3/4nylon. FX-37 Storm Anchor . what do you think?
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:22   #28

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW

SS vs galvanized:

SS is nice and expensive while we do sometimes lose or abandon anchors. So, at least from the replacement cost perspective, a galvanized beats the SS.

b.
The cost of losing a stainless anchor is definitely a concern, this is why I added:
QuicklineUSA - Quickline Flat Rope & Reel

a quickline attached to the head of the anchor as a permanent part of my ground tackle. Should I get caught on rocks etc... I can pull it out with the trip line.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 16:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post

a quickline attached to the head of the anchor as a permanent part of my ground tackle
It is an option indeed. At times there may be various limitations to use it.

I stopped using the quickline after I had people in dinghies run over the float and get entangled, esp. at night. I do not one one of them to think it is a crab pot marker and lift my hook of the bottom on an iffy night.
Old 31-12-2009, 05:06   #30

Quickline

In areas with known rocks and boulders, the line makes sense but why would you ever put the hook down there?

The dangers of using an anchor marker in known good bottoms far out weigh the dubious benefits.

I understand the situation where the place you really want to visit has lousy bottom. On the Maine coast that happens a bit.
On a offshore island with exposure to the NE we saw locals anchor almost in the surf because that's where the sand was. Out in deeper water the bottom was loose round rock with no holding at all.

Tags
anchor