Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 08:18   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Anchor chain type, why not G4?

I think a half drum of 5/16" is 275' a full drum 550'?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31   #32

Boat: Able 50

The most common cause of rusty chain is an anchor locker that is allowed to stay wet for extended periods. The first thing to do is decrapify the locker so that there is nothing in there but chain and rode.

The next thing is to ensure that wet chain can properly drain. This usually involves holes in the platform on which the chain rests. Another handy remedy is to fit the floor of the locker with some form of plastic drainage mat material. There are many brands that are usually made for industrial flooring. The basic idea is to put a layer of air between the chain and the locker floor.

The final remedy is to separate the chain from the rode. Way too many lockers have a pile of chain sitting on top of a pile of permanently wet rode. Over time this will both rot the rode and rust the chain. Some for of locker divider solves this problem.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Premature rusting of chain is a break down in the function of the galvanizing...not the steel of the chain.
Two advantages of BBB chain are 1) the links are shorter allowing more links on the gypsy during haul up, so there is a lesser chance of the chain skipping and 2) BBB is heavier by the foot because it has more links per foot allowing more weight on the floor helping the holding power. The fact that there are more links is why it is more expensive.
I've used both and prefer BBB.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Premature rusting of chain is a break down in the function of the galvanizing...not the steel of the chain.
Two advantages of BBB chain are 1) the links are shorter allowing more links on the gypsy during haul up, so there is a lesser chance of the chain skipping and 2) BBB is heavier by the foot because it has more links per foot allowing more weight on the floor helping the holding power. The fact that there are more links is why it is more expensive.
Agree on the issue with galvanizing. It's not the chain, it's how well the galvanizing was applied to it.

Regarding the BBB vs G4, my windlass will take 3/8 BBB or 5/16 G4. Both have almost identical number of links/foot but the G4 is less expensive. Supposedly higher grade of steel but less money. All I can figure is it's cheaper per foot because there's less metal in the chain per foot.

For the OP, 3/8 BBB and 3/8 G4 do NOT have the same size links and number of links per foot so I seriously doubt your gypsy will reliably use either.

Before buying, get a 2' sample of each and try it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
BBB is heavier by the foot because it has more links per foot allowing more weight on the floor helping the holding power. The fact that there are more links is why it is more expensive.
Chain that is heavier for the same or lower strength is a drawback rather than advantage.

Any weight savings can usefully be put into a longer rode and/or a heavier anchor and/or reduced bow weight depending on the requirments.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:39   #36

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=skipmac;2390766]Agree on the issue with galvanizing. It's not the chain, it's how well the galvanizing was applied to it.

When I commented on G4 rust I was talking about long after the G has worn off and the way G4 corrodes. It looks like exfolating or intergranular. It makes a real mess on the deck. I don't think bbb steel does this.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would be shocked to see if there is any difference in the steel in BBB and G40 chain, I'm pretty sure they are just mild carbon steel. The difference is the heat treat.
Both are weak, not high strength steels, there is for example G70, 80, 100 and even 120 that I know of and likely even stronger chain
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:29   #38

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2390813]I would be shocked to see if there is any difference in the steel in BBB and G40 chain, I'm pretty sure they are just mild carbon steel. The difference is the heat treat.

Be shocked. Different alloy all together. Check out a Cruising World article on chain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Chain that is heavier for the same or lower strength is a drawback rather than advantage.

Any weight savings can usefully be put into a longer rode and/or a heavier anchor and/or reduced bow weight depending on the requirments.
Looking at it from a different point of view. My HR has full ends and I use 200ft. of 3/8 BBB which totals 320lbs. 3/8 G4 would weigh 306lbs. While the G4 would be stronger, 3/8 BBB is over rated for my HR 35 and wraps better around my windlass having shorter links. 5/16 G4 is stronger but does not lay as well on the bottom as 3/8 BBB does.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-05-2017, 12:54   #40

[QUOTE=Guy;2390798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Agree on the issue with galvanizing. It's not the chain, it's how well the galvanizing was applied to it.

When I commented on G4 rust I was talking about long after the G has worn off and the way G4 corrodes. It looks like exfolating or intergranular. It makes a real mess on the deck. I don't think bbb steel does this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I would be shocked to see if there is any difference in the steel in BBB and G40 chain, I'm pretty sure they are just mild carbon steel. The difference is the heat treat.
Both are weak, not high strength steels, there is for example G70, 80, 100 and even 120 that I know of and likely even stronger chain
Being a former Toolmaker and heat treating for years, I can attest that heat treated metal is very susceptible to rust.
Old 11-05-2017, 13:42   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Something I wrote a while ago. Should be true now.

BBB (also G30) chain is made of ASTM A1008 type steel while G43 is made from ASTM A1022 type steel and G70 from 1022 (the same as in G43) steel that has been heat treated for increased strength.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 13:45   #42

Boat: Cal-40

On my 40ft boat I use 3/8 G 40. Make sure that you don't buy the cheap China chain. The galvanized surface will not last. People also tend to spend money on chain and anchors yet buy a cheap hardware store shackel to put it together. Remember the shackel is a weak point so buy one rated for what loades your ground tackle might encounter.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 19:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Something I wrote a while ago. Should be true now.

BBB (also G30) chain is made of ASTM A1008 type steel while G43 is made from ASTM A1022 type steel and G70 from 1022 (the same as in G43) steel that has been heat treated for increased strength.
Heat treating does not make steel stronger...it makes it harder and abrasion resistant. Strength is achieved by adding alloy to the steel when it is initially formulated.
Old 11-05-2017, 19:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
On my 40ft boat I use 3/8 G 40. Make sure that you don't buy the cheap China chain. The galvanized surface will not last. People also tend to spend money on chain and anchors yet buy a cheap hardware store shackel to put it together. Remember the shackel is a weak point so buy one rated for what loades your ground tackle might encounter.
...and I have seen broken welds on their links after a short time of casual use.
Old 11-05-2017, 21:46   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Heat treating does not make steel stronger...it makes it harder and abrasion resistant. Strength is achieved by adding alloy to the steel when it is initially formulated.
I'm not especially pedantic with my use of the word "strength" in the statement of mine that you quoted. Strength as used there refers to the tensile strength of the wire used to make up the chain.

Strength, hardness and toughness are covered in wikipedia for those who are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardness

I think that we can agree that tensile strength and ultimate strength are properties of steels. Simple inspection of the spec sheets for plain and heat treated 1022 steels shows that the tensile strength is increased by heat treading.... As well as other physical properties of the steel.

Morgans cloud had this to say:

https://www.morganscloud.com/2011/05...-anchor-chain/
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor