Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 00:26   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Anchor chain inspection

Even with slippery nylon, anything beyond 5 tucks is a waste of time. And there are other types of rope to chain splices or bends, some pretty simple to do and without the buildup of diameter that a three strand eye splice (or whatever you want to call what you used) entails.

Glad that your chain is recoverable, too!

Jim

Old 15-02-2016, 00:45   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdrechsler View Post

On another note, does anyone coat the chain with anything like WD40 or similar. I was also thinking of placing a grating for the chain to lay on and maybe get some air circulation.
The small amount of rust you have on the chain will not effect it functionally and rust often looks worse than it is.

It generally helps prevent rusting of anchor chain if it can be prevented from lying in water in the locker. A piece of plywood drilled with holes raised off the bottom with poly sheeting on top does a good job.

I don't re-galvanize chain anymore, I used to end for end it and get it galvanized about every two years (Pretty constant coastal cruiser so it gets lots of usage) but now tend to cut off the anchor end and replace the length removed onto the bitter end.

I spray the rusty chain in the locker with boiled linseed oil to discourage it from rusting more and it assist to prevent it catching in the wildcat on the winch. I keep a spray bottle in the locker and spray the chain after it dries off.

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 07:39   #18

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdrechsler View Post
Thanks Jim,

I will give that a try on my next practice session. The strands came apart and made the afternoon quite interesting. As you reduce how do you keep them all together?
Try taping the ends with some masking tape. I put a couple of turns of tape around the whole rope at the dividing point, to keep the three strands from separating further. Then a tape a tapered point on each strand, makes splicing painless.

Jim is right 4 or 5 full tucks is lots, if you want to get fancy taper the strands from there and do a couple more.

And remember to roll the rope between your hands to smooth it out as you go.
Old 15-02-2016, 21:47   #19
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 47

Thanks for all the info. I'm building an anchor snubber and decided to practice on this first before I tackle the actual anchor chain to rode splice that has to travel through the windless. Somewhere I read to separate the line 21 times the rope thickness. I can see now this was a bit of overkill. The next one I will make much shorter.

Keep your fork.......

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-02-2016, 22:25   #20
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

I'm just in the middle of a similar process. I ended up towing the chain down a sandy road, at walking pace, for about two kms to get rid of the surface rust. It cleaned it very nicely. Got all the loose crud off the outside, and about 75% of the crud from inside the loops. The galveniser inspected it and was very pleased with it, reckoned it would come up well. I'll know later in the week, due to collect it on Friday.

Had to drive 30 km to find a sandy dirt road though. Despite living 100 meters from the beach! It is quite staggering to realise how much we have coated our planet with asphalt.

Matt

I had resolved on a voyage around the world, and as the wind on the morning of April 24, 1895 was fair, at noon I weighed anchor....
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, inspection