Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 00:08   #1

Boat: Jarrett 50, Bill Dixon designed 50' Steel Cutter Rigged Ketch
Anchor Chain in Australia

We're currently upgrading our ground tackle in advance of a circumnavigation starting in July this year. Our vessel is a 50ft steel ketch, weighing 32 tons at the last hoist. (Aside: given our dry weight is supposedly 26.8 tonnes, and we have 2200 litres of tankage, that means we've somehow accumulated 3 tons of personal crap on board. Time for a clean out!!).

Anyway, currently, our primary anchor is a 40kg Delta on 65m of 13mm G3 (or Grade L as they call it here in Australia), and based on our research, we're planing to move to a 55kg Rocna, with 100m of 13mm G4 chain.

My dilemma is with regard to finding chain. I cannot find a supplier in Australia for 100m lengths of G4 - allegedly it only comes in drums of 55m length for 13mm. In fact, I can't even buy 100m of G3 for the same reason. I'm reluctant to join multiple lengths, as no-one in Aus can give me any confidence about the strengths of the joining links.

Oh, and my windlass manufacturer (Muir Winches) doesn't make a gypsy for high test chain and would have to custom make one.

Does anyone have any contacts in Australia who can supply the necessary? Or even people who know what they're talking about and/or can point me in the right direction? I'm assuming the cost (and timeline - we're casting off in July) of shipping chain here from the US would be prohibitive, right?

Any help gratefully received.
PeterBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 00:37   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Anchor Chain in Australia

Pete

Have you talked to PWB Anchor?

They make a 13 mm (12.7 mm wire) galvanised Grade L short link in maximum length of 130 metres. Aussie company, Aussie made chain.

Head office and factory are in Vic (there's a branch office in St Marys, tel 02 8886 5200, which ought be closer to you) that will look after you at telephone 1 300 792 262.

Get your chain first, then get a wildcat to suit your chain.

If PWB Anchor cannot supply, then I'd suggest you look at a Maggi Aqua4 chain. Made in Italy to DIN766/A standard. More expensive than PWB Anchor. And you should be able to buy Maggi in two versions, uncertified and certified (for even more $$)
Old 30-01-2018, 00:41   #3

PWB Anchor website is:

Chains - PWB Anchor
Old 30-01-2018, 00:41   #4

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

+1 for PWB
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 00:44   #5

Thanks Alan - will give them a buzz.

My first preference would be G4/G40/G43 (all the same thing as I understand it), for weight saving and additional strength. but if I can't get that, then 100m plus of Grade L would definitely be a step up...

Either way, I'll definitely give them a call!
Old 30-01-2018, 01:06   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

These guys in Auckland have Maggi chain in the lengths you want.
Chains Ropes and Anchors | Chains Ropes and Anchors
Old 30-01-2018, 01:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBernard View Post
My first preference would be G4/G40/G43 (all the same thing as I understand it), for weight saving and additional strength. but if I can't get that, then 100m plus of Grade L would definitely be a step up...
Understood. The only Grade M in 13 mm I know about would be the Maggi Aqua4 I mentioned.

There's sure to be an Aus distributor of Maggi DIN 766/A Aqua4 13 mm somewhere near you.
Old 30-01-2018, 01:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
There's sure to be an Aus distributor of Maggi DIN 766/A Aqua4 13 mm somewhere near you.
Just that I cannot find one closer that Grant McDuff, who used to be a regular on CF, in Auckland NZ. Have a sticky at Grant's shop:

13mm DIN766/A AQUA4 Maggi Short Link Anchor Chain | Chains Ropes and Anchors
Old 30-01-2018, 02:14   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

As others have said, PWB!
They should have the standard L grade (shortlink), and sometimes they even stock G5. The latter can be made to order, if out of stock.
Usually they do not sell direct retail, but they are happy to respond to queries. Bullivants is an Australian wide business that sell their products. Prices are very reasonable when buying 100 mt or more.

And indeed the NZ company as mentioned before, has very good customer service and stock Maggi chain..... hmmm, maybe your first port of call could be Auckland, saving you freight and GST......
Old 30-01-2018, 02:18   #10

Will definitely reach out to PWB and the NZ crowd in the morning - thanks for the recommendations.

Much as I'd love to make our first stop Auckland, we can't leave before 1st July, and will do a west-about circumnavigation, meaning we have to be in Indonesia and out of the cyclone zone by November.

Plan is to finish the trip in NZ, 2024 by our current reckoning - figure I'll need my new anchor and chain before then!!
Old 30-01-2018, 02:31   #11

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Your winch manufacturer Muirs are retailers for PWB as are Whitworths; both would have to order 13mm in, but I am sure they will do it. IMHO grade L is more than sufficent, be sure you use tested shackels, they are ofter the weakest link. I have never heard of anyone actually breaking quality grade L in an anchoring situation.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 02:46   #12

Quote:
Much as I'd love to make our first stop Auckland, we can't leave before 1st July, and will do a west-about circumnavigation, meaning we have to be in Indonesia and out of the cyclone zone by November.

Plan is to finish the trip in NZ, 2024 by our current reckoning - figure I'll need my new anchor and chain before then!!
Plans need to be flexible.

Apart from buying a Rocna and some Maggi Aqua4 from Chains, Ropes and Anchors, a visit to Auckland would give you a chance to meet Grant McDuff, buy from him, and take his advice.

Grant played a small role, a bit part, in the history of the Rocna anchor. Grant knows more about anchors, shackles, and chains than most.

So if you want to meet one of the real characters, here's your chance.
Old 30-01-2018, 03:33   #13

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Quote:
My dilemma is with regard to finding chain. I cannot find a supplier in Australia for 100m lengths of G4 - allegedly it only comes in drums of 55m length for 13mm. In fact, I can't even buy 100m of G3 for the same reason. I'm reluctant to join multiple lengths, as no-one in Aus can give me any confidence about the strengths of the joining links.
A quick Google search finds this place sells 100 metre lengths of 13 mm L grade chain on the Gold Coast and delivers.
https://marinetradesupplies.com.au/?...m-gal-permetre
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:44   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 41s5

Have you tried Bullivants
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:39   #15

Boat: Salar 40, 11.9m

Have you tried Sydney Lifting? https://www.sydneylifting.com.au/sho...chain-fittings
salar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Australia