Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 09:56   #1

Anchor Advice,

We have a lagoon 380 based in the UK, and have just spent our first couple of weekends out on the boat. We learnt a huge amount about her, and most importantly the need to invest in our anchoring systems.

Our primary anchoring system is a Brittany (20kg) this actually did a pretty good job of holding us against some 7knt tides and 30knt winds but in reality it is too small and resulted in us dragging slowly.

We are now planning to upgrade the primary anchoring system, and after much deliberation we have decided to go with a Mantus Anchor.

Do any other Lagoon 380 owners use the mantus and what size have they gone for? Have you been happy with the performance?

The Mantus website includes some sizing guidelines but doesn't seem to have any specific guidance for Cats.

After spending an extremely uncomfortable night in an exposed anchorage pinned by the tides, broadside onto the wind and waves, we will be getting a decent kedge set up!!!

So my second question is:

I am thinking of relegating the old brittany anchor to the position of kedge. However i am not sure on best practice for how much scope to use on the kedge rode? We are generally anchoring in around 10m of water, and use a 7:1 on an all chain rode for the primary, which is fine with the windlass. However given we will have to manually retrieve the kedge i presume most people go with a rope rode?

I would appreciate any thoughts on ratios for how much anchor rode to use on a kedge?

Also for any other L380 owners, where do you secure your kedge anchor to the stern of the boat?

Thanks in advance for any help and comments you can offer.
Jamjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Anchor Advice,

Old 05-08-2016, 16:43   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

My advice about size is to go one size bigger than what is recommended. Also, see what type other boats in your area are using for local conditions, then go one size bigger. I don't know the Mantus, I would use a 33kg Rocna for your cat. Maybe bigger to get a better nights sleep, cruising is supposed to be relaxing.

I'm not sure if a kedge solve problems, or makes it worse. I always like to be able to move out of an anchorage easily if necessary, multiple anchors are a pain. But if you do use it, at least the lower half of the rode should be chain, it makes a lot of difference. So at least 65 ft, 20m of chain, not too hard to handle.
RichMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:23   #4

Thanks for that very helpful.

I had figured we would need some chain on the kedge just not sure on the ratio. So that offers up a number for us to start with.

cheers
Jamjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:41   #5

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I don't think you can go wrong with the Mantus. I am in the "bigger is better" camp.

Is it possible with a Cat to take a bridle from the rode to a position on one side of the boat to give a more comfortable ride?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:46   #6

Boat: Alberg #0

You can't go wrong with a Mantus but you can do better with a Rocna :-) Welded beats parts in a box and a bag of bolts imho!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 14:02   #7

Most anchor manufactures recommendation tables are based on length and displacement for a mono hull, but many also state that for catamarans and powerboats with very large cabins and fly bridges should go up one size because of the increased windage.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor