Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 21:14   #1

Boat: Mustang 3800
Anchor Advice?

Well I have just looked right through the "Photos of Anchor Setting" thread and what a fantastic amount of information is there!!!!! In fact so much so that I have decided to upgrade my anchor before the inevitable happens. Now I am quite careful setting anchor and usually choose sheltered bays and ensure the anchor is set well and so far it has never dragged but looking at this thread i may of just been lucky so far!!

Now Im not after anchor debate here just simple advise argument free

I currently have a 35lb CQR/Plow anchor as in the photo below but I have a couple of upgrade issues and hopefully I can pick some brains here for advise. I first looked at the Mantus however their recommended anchor is 45lb which will not fit inside my anchor setup as you can see. The Sarca Excel and Rocna both suggest approx 35lb which I hope will fit (I shall do some measurements). Would I be better off just going with a 35lb Mantus as Im sure it has to be better than what I currently have or with the other recommended size from the other companies??? I am very tempted with the Sarca also if it will fit.

The other issue I have is connecting a bridle from the anchor back to the cleats. I have to lay on my belly to do this and if I should need to get away in a hurry I am not keen to muck around disconnecting this especially if the weather is up. Maybe I should just get a bow sprit anchor set up and try to fit it??? I guess I could just rig up a snubber but the boat does move around a bit in the breeze and I think a bridle might hold it better.

Anyone else have an anchor set up like this and have a solution?

Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 21:21   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
re: Anchor Advice?

Sarca Excel should be good.

If you are based in Australia give them a phone call re size.

http://www.anchorright.com.au/

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 21:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

One purpose of the anchor, maybe the main purpose, is safety. You need an anchor to hold when you need it to hold in the worst way. The sea can change quickly, engines quit,and so on... That needs to be part of your thought process.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 23:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Sarca Excel should be good.

If you are based in Australia give them a phone call re size.

Anchor Right Australia

cheers
Yes I like the look of the Sarca but I find it strange 3 similar anchors have such different manufactures recommendations. Sarca suggests 16kg, Mantus suggests 20kg (which will not fit my current set up) and rocna also suggests a 15kg. Is Mantus being extra cautious I wonder.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Firstly, as far as recommended anchor weights go, this is all a bit of a game. Manufacturers get more sales when they recommend smaller anchor sizes. Some play this game more than others. There seems to be almost a reverse correlation, with the manufacturers of better anchors recommending bigger models. The only thing to watch is some anchor manufacturers' warranties are void if you use a model smaller than recommended.

Bowsprits do create a problem for roll bar anchors. This is one of the reasons manufacturers are so keen to develop non rollbar models that will then fit almost any boat. It must be a pain for retailers to have anchors returned when they don't fit and it limits sales.

In my view, the steel Spade Is the best non roll bar anchor. Some people are of the opinion that it is better than the roll bar models, including those that have used both. My own view is that generally it not quite as good as the Mantus, Rocna and Manson Supreme, particularly at shorter scopes, but the difference is small. Unfortunately, the Spade can be hard to get in some countries and is not practical to re-galvanise.

The other option is the Ultra. I think this is a very good anchor. My limited observations so far suggest not quite as good as the Spade, but it I would like to see more examples.

I have not seen either the new Rocna Vulcan or the Manson Boss. The latter seems to get good owner reviews, but perhaps not quite the extremely positive response that is often expressed when people upgrade from an older generation anchor. The Rocna Vulcan looks very promising with many of the design characteristics of the Spade. It is a bit early to have widespread owner feedback.

On some models of boats with a bowsprit, a roll bar anchor will fit with the rollbar sitting in front, or even above the bowsprit. In these cases a larger anchor can then sometimes work (because the roll bar is further forward and/or wider). I don't think this will work with your bowsprit Bigusstickus, but it is not impossible.

Here is a photo I took of a Garcia showing a Rocna with the rollbar sitting in front of the bowsprit:

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:15   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Anchor Advice?

Is that an aluminum Rocna? It looks like someone has taken a sanding/polishing wheel to its shank, and it appears to be a bright color for galvanizing.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Regarding size recommendations, I think Noelex stated the situation quite well. If I was buying an anchor for a boat like yours I would go for the 45 lb anchor. A 35 would probably get you by, at least until it didn't.

Regarding a bridle. From the photos it looks like the roller and launching system in the box is quite sturdy. If there is a cleat available more or less in line with the roller I would consider using a single line snubber, tie it to the chain with your favorite knot or hitch (Prussic is what I use) and take the strain on that. Then to remove it just take up enough chain to pull the knot into the bow and untie.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:35   #8

Thanks Nolex, again some great info there.

Hi Skipmac,
I would have no hesitation going the 45lb but I really do not think it will fit in the setup I have. Unfortunately no Mantus dealer where I live to test one first . There is not much room between the tip of the anchor and the Gelcoat as it is and the shank on the larger anchor is probably longer and may not fit in between roller and windlass. I will measure it all but I am doubtful at this stage and feel I have to go a manufacturer recommended 35lb.

Unfortunately no cleat in direct line with the rollers but I could possible install one so I shall check underneath to make sure I clear all the windlass motors etc and that the fibreglass is thick enough to mount a cleat (I think it should be)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusstickus View Post

Hi Skipmac,
I would have no hesitation going the 45lb but I really do not think it will fit in the setup I have. Unfortunately no Mantus dealer where I live to test one first . There is not much room between the tip of the anchor and the Gelcoat as it is and the shank on the larger anchor is probably longer and may not fit in between roller and windlass. I will measure it all but I am doubtful at this stage and feel I have to go a manufacturer recommended 35lb.

Unfortunately no cleat in direct line with the rollers but I could possible install one so I shall check underneath to make sure I clear all the windlass motors etc and that the fibreglass is thick enough to mount a cleat (I think it should be)
If a 45 just won't fit then you're either stuck with a 35 or a major (read expensive) mod to the bow.

If you're not cruising across the Pacific, nice weather weekends and such then the 35 will probably do you. But one of those middle of the night thunderstorms would make me a bit nervous and would probably sit up to watch. Do you have a good anchor alarm?

Regarding the snubber. Another benefit I found to running one directly through the bow roller, my boat stops sailing around the anchor, completely. Points dead into the wind like a vane and steady as a rock. YMMV.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:42   #10

Quote:
Yes I like the look of the Sarca but I find it strange 3 similar anchors have such different manufactures recommendations. Sarca suggests 16kg, Mantus suggests 20kg (which will not fit my current set up) and rocna also suggests a 15kg. Is Mantus being extra cautious I wonder.
Rocna's recommendations seem conservative=safe enough.
Maybe Mantus oversizes because their shanks are a lesser grade and smaller cross-section than Rocna?
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:55   #11

Quote:

Hi Skipmac,
I would have no hesitation going the 45lb but I really do not think it will fit in the setup I have. Unfortunately no Mantus dealer where I live to test one first .
I hear you, but, but, but...all new gen anchor manufacturers have the dimensions of their anchors on their websites. Get some cardboard and spend an afternoon mocking one up, it's really not that hard.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:30   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I hear you, but, but, but...all new gen anchor manufacturers have the dimensions of their anchors on their websites. Get some cardboard and spend an afternoon mocking one up, it's really not that hard.
Exactly. I've done this many times. When deciding where to install a cabin heater I sailed with a cardboard mock-up taped to the wall for several months. Drilling the 4" hole in the deck was far less stressful because I KNEW I like the location.

In this case, a cardboard mock-up sounds easier than horsing a 45-pound anchor into position.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:23   #13

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have a Rocna, but with the rollbar I cannot let it hang under the deck like the Lewmar Delta did. So it has to go across the top of the front crossbeam, be dropped over to launch (vs the launch at chain release of the Lewmar). That all said, I would not trade it for anything. I have used Fortress (my current backup), the Delta (a real one, not a knockoff), and neither are in the same league as the Rocna. I have never dragged with the Rocna, been in some decent waves and 42 knot winds, and have even been ashore once when a store came in and watched the boat do several 360's and still the anchor held (or likely reset within a couple of feet).

The original Rocna I purchased developed some flaking galvanizing relatively soon after purchased. I sent some pictures to Rocna. They said they had a batch issue, but to use the anchor for a few months and make sure that I liked it, and then they would replace it. And they did - sent it to local West Marine where I traded it out. This one has no finish issues.

I see now they make the model without the roll bar on top. That would allow me to put the anchor in the original location and launch unassisted. However as this one has held so strong, I have not moved on a swap-out. I am so happy with this one that I really don't want to risk it. And I purchased mine when they were much more expensive than they are selling for now.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 13:12   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Is that an aluminum Rocna? It looks like someone has taken a sanding/polishing wheel to its shank, and it appears to be a bright color for galvanizing.

Mark

It was a normal, steel, galvanised, Rocna. I think the smooth appearance is just a trick of the light, taking into photo against the bright sky, although the new Rocna's do have a smoother finish than is usual for hot dip galvanising.

I took the photo at the launching of Jimmy Cornell's new yacht. The Rocna was brand new, never dipped into the water at this stage.

There are some scrape marks on the shank. I agree they do look like marks from a sanding/polishing wheel. I suspect these were probably caused by the yacht manufacturer fabricating the bowsprit with the anchor in place, perhaps to check the fit, but this is only a guess. I doubt there is any practical effect.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 15:52   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We are so happy with our Rocna that my wife has named it, The Rocna of Gibraltar.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor