Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 18:42   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Anchor Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusstickus View Post
Thanks Nolex, again some great info there.

Hi Skipmac,
I would have no hesitation going the 45lb but I really do not think it will fit in the setup I have. Unfortunately no Mantus dealer where I live to test one first . There is not much room between the tip of the anchor and the Gelcoat as it is and the shank on the larger anchor is probably longer and may not fit in between roller and windlass. I will measure it all but I am doubtful at this stage and feel I have to go a manufacturer recommended 35lb.

Unfortunately no cleat in direct line with the rollers but I could possible install one so I shall check underneath to make sure I clear all the windlass motors etc and that the fibreglass is thick enough to mount a cleat (I think it should be)
Big,

As you are based in Tasmania talk with Rex of Anchorright based just over Bass Straight. I am sure he you exchange sizes of the Excel for you if you had an issue.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 18:53   #17

Boat: Mustang 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If a 45 just won't fit then you're either stuck with a 35 or a major (read expensive) mod to the bow.

If you're not cruising across the Pacific, nice weather weekends and such then the 35 will probably do you. But one of those middle of the night thunderstorms would make me a bit nervous and would probably sit up to watch. Do you have a good anchor alarm?

Regarding the snubber. Another benefit I found to running one directly through the bow roller, my boat stops sailing around the anchor, completely. Points dead into the wind like a vane and steady as a rock. YMMV.
Your right, I don't cruise around the pacific and always try to find a nice sheltered anchorage with minimal windage and whilst the weather our way can be unpredictable the wind usually is fairly consistant in its seasonal directions. I have a great anchor alarm (use Isailor) and of course keep forgetting to turn if off when leaving anchorage and off it goes every time lol.

I guess without a keel/steading sail my boat is prone to moving more and while it does not really swing around the anchor it does just swing from side to side at the bow hence trying to figure out an easier bridle set up. I will try the longer snubber and the added cleat to see what happens but I have had one on before but off to a side cleat and it made little difference to bow movement.
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 19:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I hear you, but, but, but...all new gen anchor manufacturers have the dimensions of their anchors on their websites. Get some cardboard and spend an afternoon mocking one up, it's really not that hard.
Yep, plan to get measurements and will do just that next time I am at the boat. I actually found one site where you download the anchor drawing to scale and fit them together but damned if I can find it again now!
Old 01-07-2015, 19:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Big,

As you are based in Tasmania talk with Rex of Anchorright based just over Bass Straight. I am sure he you exchange sizes of the Excel for you if you had an issue.

cheers
Freight back and forth would be the killer. Im pretty sure I can source an excel locally if I go that way but after Noelex 77 thread and info I would really love the Mantus. Away at the moment and can't get to the boat to measure
Old 01-07-2015, 20:35   #20

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Freight back and forth would be the killer. Im pretty sure I can source an excel locally if I go that way but after Noelex 77 thread and info I would really love the Mantus. Away at the moment and can't get to the boat to measure
Certainly my takeway from the photos of anchor thread started by Nolex is that the Mantus is a great anchor and will do the job. Certainly seems to be ahead of the ROCNA from his posts. Now doubt the Spade and the Ultra are also up there but pricey in Australia.

Unfortunately we have not seen the Excel in any numbers to be photographed at present certainly in Europe.

I only have evidence of owners who swear by the Excel. Talk to a few owners locally who have them on their vessels for an opinion.

Cheers and let us know how it performs after purchase whichever anchor you commit to.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 20:42   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think you should forget roll bar anchors. They're just not going to hang right on your bow. A Delta would be a significant improvement over your CQR. Any of the more modern scoop anchors, with out roll bars, would be even better.

I'm going to replace my Delta, which hasn't let me down, with a Vulcan. They just look so damn cool! A Vulcan sure would look good on your bow.

Here is where you can get full size patterns of Rocna and Vulcan anchors: Rocna and Vulcan Anchor Bow Compatibility | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

Vulcan Anchor by Canada Metal
Old 01-07-2015, 22:08   #22

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Well I have just looked right through the "Photos of Anchor Setting" thread and what a fantastic amount of information is there!!!!! In fact so much so that I have decided to upgrade my anchor before the inevitable happens. Now I am quite careful setting anchor and usually choose sheltered bays and ensure the anchor is set well and so far it has never dragged but looking at this thread i may of just been lucky so far!!

Now Im not after anchor debate here just simple advise argument free

I currently have a 35lb CQR/Plow anchor as in the photo below but I have a couple of upgrade issues and hopefully I can pick some brains here for advise. I first looked at the Mantus however their recommended anchor is 45lb which will not fit inside my anchor setup as you can see. The Sarca Excel and Rocna both suggest approx 35lb which I hope will fit (I shall do some measurements). Would I be better off just going with a 35lb Mantus as Im sure it has to be better than what I currently have or with the other recommended size from the other companies??? I am very tempted with the Sarca also if it will fit.

The other issue I have is connecting a bridle from the anchor back to the cleats. I have to lay on my belly to do this and if I should need to get away in a hurry I am not keen to muck around disconnecting this especially if the weather is up. Maybe I should just get a bow sprit anchor set up and try to fit it??? I guess I could just rig up a snubber but the boat does move around a bit in the breeze and I think a bridle might hold it better.

Anyone else have an anchor set up like this and have a solution?

Hi, an excel user here and very happy with the choice. Sets quickly and holds very well.!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 22:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think you should forget roll bar anchors. They're just not going to hang right on your bow. A Delta would be a significant improvement over your CQR. Any of the more modern scoop anchors, with out roll bars, would be even better.

I'm going to replace my Delta, which hasn't let me down, with a Vulcan. They just look so damn cool! A Vulcan sure would look good on your bow.

Here is where you can get full size patterns of Rocna and Vulcan anchors: Rocna and Vulcan Anchor Bow Compatibility | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

Vulcan Anchor by Canada Metal
I have to agree the Vulcans do look cool and that was the site I couldn't find with all the Rocna anchor patterns on it
Old 14-10-2015, 05:42   #24

Ok latest update is I tried the "normal" Rocna and no hope of fitting so that ruled them out as well as the Mantus. I then downloaded the Vulcan anchor drawings and made up a timber mould and its looking good.

I decided to go ahead and order one and give it a try so will update with photos once it arrives.
Old 14-10-2015, 07:22   #25

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Oh, you HAVE to go out and try that timber model! Post pictures on Noelex's anchor thread.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 07:39   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Oh, you HAVE to go out and try that timber model! Post pictures on Noelex's anchor thread.

Mark

It would make photography much easier if all anchors floated .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 07:52   #27

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

It would make photography much easier if all anchors floated .
Floating anchors do not set properly unless paired with at least a boat length of floating chain.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:39   #28
Marine Service Provider

Little known fact the CQR anchor shank and our Spade Anchor shank are very similar. If your happy with how the CQR fit on your bow then you would be satisfied with the fit of the Spade anchor. The CQR is the only other anchor on the market that our anchor is direct replacement for.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:40   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Little known fact the CQR anchor shank and our Spade Anchor shank are very similar. If your happy with how the CQR fit on your bow then you would be satisfied with the fit of the Spade anchor. The CQR is the only other anchor on the market that our anchor is direct replacement for.
But do you make them in wood?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
But do you make them in wood?

Mark
Aluminum , Galvanized, and Stainless steel. We will leave the wood anchors to the elves.

We do have templates available for mock ups.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor