Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2010, 16:51   #1

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey
All Chain Rode . . . Overkill ?

I'm replacing my CT34's ground tackle this year (she's approx 16000lbs, full keel, 34LOA). I've resolved to get a 20kg Rocna as her primary (assuming I can make it fit on the bow), but now I'm turning my mind to the rode itself. I've noticed that Lin and Larry Pardey and many other reputable cruisers recommend an all-chain rode.

I'm certainly open to this, but by my calculations 250 ft of 3/8th inch high test rode will add about 375lbs in the locker. Is this much weight up front going to be a problem? Any experiences from those who have tried such a conversion?

The ground tackle is what will help ensure the safety of the boat and, ultimately, my family, so this isn't an area I'm going to scrimp on, but is all-chain overkill?

Thanks in advance!
RSMacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 17:03   #2
Eternal Member

I think she's probably 16,000 lbs, not 1,600 :-)

No, all chain rode isn't overkill, but 3/8" high-tensile chain, arguably, is overkill. I believe 5/16" hi-tensile would be fine for your boat. It would save about 100lbs up forward, too.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 17:09   #3

LOL - thanks - updated my post ... 16,000 lbs.

Appreciate the quick feedback! Makes sense.
Old 24-06-2010, 17:10   #4

You can probably get by with 200' of chain. All chain is the way to go. You need a snubber.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 20:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
I'm replacing my CT34's ground tackle this year (she's approx 16000lbs, full keel, 34LOA). I've resolved to get a 20kg Rocna as her primary (assuming I can make it fit on the bow), but now I'm turning my mind to the rode itself. I've noticed that Lin and Larry Pardey and many other reputable cruisers recommend an all-chain rode.

I'm certainly open to this, but by my calculations 250 ft of 3/8th inch high test rode will add about 375lbs in the locker. Is this much weight up front going to be a problem? Any experiences from those who have tried such a conversion?

The ground tackle is what will help ensure the safety of the boat and, ultimately, my family, so this isn't an area I'm going to scrimp on, but is all-chain overkill?
All chain can be more practical and convenient, and all but necessary in deep water tropical (coral) or rocky environments. In more standard locales it's certainly not necessary and disadvantages outweigh the positives. So, it is correct to say it depends on your intended usage and attitude to things like rope/chain gypsies.

www.rocna.com/kb/Rode_optimizations

5/16" G40 (hi-test) is recommended for the Rocna 20, and its in an awkward position in the range where it can't be replaced by stronger G70 (high tensile) of the next size down. Go with 5/16" G70 if you want the higher WLL, probably not necessary.

www.rocna.com/kb/Chain
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 23:10   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
I've noticed that Lin and Larry Pardey and many other reputable cruisers recommend an all-chain rode.

!
250 feet is not enough!

We have 330 feet (100 meters) and its about perfect for long range cruising.

It doesnt push our bow down at all.

We are currently anchored in 30 feet of water and have 5 x out = 150 feet.
The other day we had a wind switch 180 degrees putting us and the other boats on a lee shore... then it came up to 38 knots! people started dragging everywhere!!!!! and thats just 38 knots. What would have happened if it was a real blow? We could have doubled our chain out
Sitting on 10 to 1 ratio all chain theres not too much chance of dragging *touch wood*

Before we increased from 50 meters chain/rope I always hated the join between the chain and the rope. The windlass doesnt work to pull on rope, you need to move it to another gypsy... thats a hassel and dangerous in an emergency. Now the all chain we never have toworry about getting it up: just motor forward and wind it in

We find our average depth anchoring around the world has been between 10 and 15 meters, somtimes up to 22 meters (I don't like deeper because the windlass has to lift too much weight).
At 22 meters depth (70 feet) x 5 = 110 m/350 feet

So for me 100 meters / 330 ft is good.

[The reason why sometimes have to anchor at 20 meters deep is there is no other place to anchor. It might be miles before you can find another better bay etc]

"Hey Nicolle, ya reckon we might be draggin'? Lay out another 200 feet of chain, babe!"
What a great feeling

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 06:26   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Chain is a necessity in coral and rocky areas, but you can use with 200 ft of 5/16 HT chain, followed by 100 ft of rode. We have 300 ft of chain, but rarely use more than 200 ft.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 06:44   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

We are currently anchored in 30 feet of water and have 5 x out = 150 feet.
The other day we had a wind switch 180 degrees putting us and the other boats on a lee shore... then it came up to 38 knots! people started dragging everywhere!!!!! and thats just 38 knots. What would have happened if it was a real blow? We could have doubled our chain out

D
Mark, it's not chain you need, it's a real anchor like this one.

Old 25-06-2010, 07:03   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Those photos didnt come up, Rick

Old 25-06-2010, 07:05   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I guess you need a new computer too!!
Old 25-06-2010, 08:24   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I guess you need a new computer too!!
remember what country I am in.

They have banned YouTube and Google Earth!

Old 25-06-2010, 09:09   #12

A bit off topic, I know, but I was in the shop yesterday to measure out the Rocna to try to determine whether the 20kg option will fit, when I noticed the "Made in China" sticker. Normally, this probably wouldn't have registered (what isn't?), but I remember forum members posting in the past whether a particular anchor was made in (I think) Canada or in China. Should I be concerned? Source another made in North America?

Cheers,
Rob
Old 25-06-2010, 09:27   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
made in (I think) Canada or in China. Should I be concerned? Source another made in North America?

Cheers,
Rob
Hi Rob,

When I was a kid anything made in Japan was meant to be crap. Then 10 or 20 years later they were the best in the world....

20 years ago anything made in China was crap....

Now?

well I guess it depends on the factory, quality control etc, just like factories in our home countries.

If its a Rocna I would be thinking they would have the quality control to ensure the factor that makes them isn't going to put out crap that will make Rocna go broke.

Now, where's my Toyota..... (the one full of BP gas...)

Old 25-06-2010, 09:33   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
I don't think 250 ft is overkill, but add me to the group who thinks that 3/8" chain is overkill for a boat your size. Weight is going to be a huge consideration when cruising a 34' boat, even on a boat with a full keel.
Old 25-06-2010, 09:39   #15
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
We've always went with all chain but Van Dorn in "Oceanography and Seamanship" makes a good argument for a nylon rode with a chain tail for extreme conditions. Remember, chain doesn't stretch and once the centenary is taken up ALL the shock loading will be put right to the anchor. I've been looking into rubber snubbers (instead of nylon which I have now).

Our boat weighs twice yours and 3/8 is fine for us. You could go lighter.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode