Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 08:15   #106

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Active Anchoring

Welcome to CruisersForum, Atalantia
Your idea looks surprising but has some merit, provided the bottom is rock. and you would have to dive to drill the hole. However, people prefer anchoring in sand or mud.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:22   #107

Boat: OEM, proportional

Now that's one I haven't heard of before, or thought of. Providing you found a suitable rock that will stay put, and the mounting was strong enough, I guess it's about as drag-proof as you could get. Hopefully the crew keep the boat safe while you're drilling. Not sure how kindly the local authorities would look at you installing a very secure private mooring. Mind you, there were some good tips in the mooring bouy thread recently, namely hiding the buoy under the surface with break free lashing so it doesn't snag other folk's boats, or attract attention. Interesting idea.....
Old 17-07-2014, 08:34   #108

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I'm pretty sure in the keys that's how the mooring balls are installed around the reefs. drilled and screwed into the concrete like bottom.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 15:46   #109

Boat: Lagoon 450

One idea I have been considering for years is fitting a hydraulic ram on each corner of my catamaran. So just arrive at the bay, motor down the rams and lift the cat clean out of the water given a lovely stable nights sleep no matter what the conditions. Also excellent for hull work and antifouling!
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 17:02   #110

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hey Curtis, a good description of "Active" in my thread at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s-80188-2.html

But beware the engine in a blow. Can cause you to head off, not at 30 knots, but over 60 when you cant even see the sea, or the mast, or anything, and the boat is swinging faster than the compass card, its best to let her lie. Another thing about the engine is in a storm, not a squall, there is a lot of debris in the water, we have had lawn furniture fly past us, dodgers, awnings, loose gear, and my personal favourite, horseshoe liferings with 300+ ft of polyprop attached, I would not want any of that around my prop, or sucked into my sea chest. Run your engines if it makes you feel better, and to have them ready to rock, but be careful...
Old 18-07-2014, 11:26   #111

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Funny, we were talking about this yesterday, and this AM at 08h50 a Chocasana came through, even took some pics. We started the engine, to boot her around as her keel is so deep (8'6") and she is heavy (66,000Lbs) it takes a long time to line up head to weather. Picture taken before the 45 knot breeze kicked in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-00001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	85183  
Old 21-07-2014, 08:36   #112

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Looks like fun! ;-) Active Anchoring is very different on my boat...at only about 13K lbs (fully loaded!), 3.5' draft, and twin engines, much easier to hold her into the wind.

How's the wind/lightening been this wet season compared to last?

We are currently in the States, but should be back thru the San Blas sometime in the coming months and then on to Cartagena.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring