Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 07:02   #1

Act of kindness and my anchor swivel...

Some background. I was anchored in a small bay, and aware that a storm was coming in overnight with an almost 180 degree wind shift by the morning. Then along comes another yacht and anchored a bit too close to me, and in an inappropriate position as the overnight wind shift, anticipated 1-2 meter on-shore swell and 4 metre tidal range would possibly mean that the resulting orientation/position of our boats would prevent them from raising their anchor next day until I was gone. I tried communicating with them, but the skipper spoke no English and I didn’t think my French good enough to explain the situation; "let’s see what the morning brings" I decided.

The following morning proved my concerns correct. I popped-up on deck to find the couple on the boat fully kitted-out in their weather gear">foul weather gear making very apologetic signs towards me and indicating they wanted to move on. It was hammering down with rain, and I had no intention to depart until the front had passed. However, I felt sorry for the forlorn couple who had probably had an unanticipated very uncomfortable night and just wanted to get out of there. So I fired-up the engine, weighed anchor, got out of their way, reset the anchor and let them depart.

However, when I decide to move an hour or so later, I found that my anchor was well and truly fouled… I tried every trick in the book (that I know of) to free it, but to no avail. With the help of some locals we arranged for a working boat (at a cost), complete with chunky winches and a diver, to come from another island to assist. The anchor was eventually freed. According to the diver it was wedged under what he described as an "ancient mooring block".

I decided not to head to my intended destination as as I was concerned about the strain that had been put on the anchoring system, so headed to a location where I could pick up a mooring (yes, more expense…) and check things out.

My badly bruised and scraped anchor looks OK (other than some edges that could now cut through paper), as does what I can see of the chain, but my concern is with the swivel. That ‘looks’ OK too, but is it?

The result of my empathy has already cost me more than £200 - I really don’t want to lose my lovely stainless anchor as well, nor suffer the potential consequences of such an event. But, I do like the idea of a swivel - it gives me some comfort that the anchor can more easily set?

I’ve removed the swivel, for now, but do I get it tested (not sure how) then refit it if OK, buy a new one or manage without one?

Comments on anchoring experiences with and without a swivel would be welcome. Oh, and also on any acts of kindness that have backfired on you - they may make me feel a bit better!

Incidentally, my internet access is very sporadic at the moment, so apologies in advance if I appear to ignore comments.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:14   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Act of kindness and my anchor swivel...

I wouldn't reuse any part of my anchoring system that I was concerned about. I doubt your swirl has been damaged, but it is up to you as you have doubts.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:18   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I believe that a swivel has no effect on anchor setting because a long length of chain has virtually zero ability to transmit a rotational force along it's length (unless it is somehow pre-twisted many wraps prior to setting).

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:15   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Chain. Lay it out on deck and inspect it. Measure the length against (there is a wear and elongation specification). Do you think you exceeded the WLL? Double the WLL should not have cause any damage, and that is actually quite a lot of force.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/techni...on-procedures/

Swivel. Ditch it. You don't need it for setting (I've never heard that question before), and if the chain is properly aligned to the windlass, it will come up straight anyway. I ditched mine years ago after spotting a crack.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Take the swivel & mount it on a plaque inscribed with the phrase: Always, Always, Listen to your Sailor's Intuition. Ignore it at Your Own Peril. And thatl of Others.
Then mount it in a place of prominence. At home, on the boat. Whatever works for you.

And the word "Sailor's" (above) is optional, as one should always listen to their intuition period.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We've had to move for people before too.... and I'm sure someone has for us. Luckily, the french typically bring a bottle of wine or champagne as a thank you for the inconvenience. So now we try to get over their anchors j/k

Matt
Old 03-06-2017, 19:36   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Not wanting to be a monday quarterback, but why could you not have simply motored up to and past your anchor, out to the end of the rode, whilst they were getting their hook up? We've done just that when we've swung over someone else's anchor.

Jim
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03   #8

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not wanting to be a monday quarterback, but why could you not have simply motored up to and past your anchor, out to the end of the rode, whilst they were getting their hook up? We've done just that when we've swung over someone else's anchor.

Jim
That's what I was expecting, as well...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03   #9

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Yes, next time just motor out of the way without lifting the anchor.

I would not ditch the swivel, yes, it is not needed to set the anchor, but it is very useful to get those few twists off the chain after a few weeks swinging around.
If your chain was under the old mooring, perhaps not much strain was transmitted to the swivel.
Has your swivel the same or more SWL than your shackles/chain? If yes, i would keep it.
Just have a good close look at it, if it is not deformed or worn,then it should be fine, I am of the opinion that you will drag the anchor before the swivel would part.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05   #10

Boat: Islander 36

No comment on the swivel, but having fouled my anchor to the point of doing something about it, I investigated anchor breakout systems. Everything looked pretty iffy. Finally dropped the money to get one that Was just stupid, I took the principal and refined it to something that I'm really happy.

Sorry for the crappy video. Hope you can see it.

I no longer use the breakaway bolt that I talk about in the video, but rather solid copper wire that can be notched to break where I want it to.
Attached Files
Old 04-06-2017, 11:00   #11

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
No comment on the swivel, but having fouled my anchor to the point of doing something about it, I investigated anchor breakout systems. Everything looked pretty iffy. Finally dropped the money to get one that Was just stupid, I took the principal and refined it to something that I'm really happy.

Sorry for the crappy video. Hope you can see it.

I no longer use the breakaway bolt that I talk about in the video, but rather solid copper wire that can be notched to break where I want it to.
I cannot get the video to load
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:08   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Chain. Lay it out on deck and inspect it. Measure the length against (there is a wear and elongation specification). Do you think you exceeded the WLL? Double the WLL should not have cause any damage, and that is actually quite a lot of force.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/techni...on-procedures/

Swivel. Ditch it. You don't need it for setting (I've never heard that question before), and if the chain is properly aligned to the windlass, it will come up straight anyway. I ditched mine years ago after spotting a crack.
^^^This. A swivel is convenient, not suitable. Some logical thoughts on them: https://www.morganscloud.com/2010/09/12/anchor-swivels/
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
I cannot get the video to load
After uploading it, it didn't work for me either. Send me a PM and I'll send it off to you via email. Then mane you can convert it to whatever makes CF happy and upload it to the forum.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:55   #14

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Curious - I saw the video just fine. Maybe overloaded?

Meanwhile, what does that added weight do to the efficacy? Weight in the shank is undesirable, I think (see 60+ page anchoring thread by Noelex)...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:21   #15

If there is any diminished efficiency in the holding power of the anchor, I have not seen it yet. But like so many things in this way we live, there are trade offs. If the anchor is fouled, then holding power is the wrong question.

Tags
anchor