Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 16:54   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
A bitter sweet day

Hi Cruisers,

Today has been a pretty mixed day. I was due to collect my anchor chain from the galvernisers today, and I am happy to report they did a good job for a reasonable (by Australian standards) price.

But last night I read on the ABC news app that the local engineering firm that makes the hugely popular (in South Australia) Marsh Stockless anchor is closing shop due to being unable to compete with cheap Chinese imports. (Their main business was in trailer springs and the like, and having built a trailer from their parts I know they made an excellent set of products)

I rushed down there this morning only to find they have sold their entire remaining stock of anchors. Thankfully they have sold them to my favourite chandlery (north haven marine)(am I allowed to mention names? I hope so.). So I went and bought their second last 35kg stockless. They still had one more in my 35 kg size plus a few of the 42 kg plus some other sizes that I was less curious about. They mentioned that they were getting some interest and had shipped one out to Victoria yesterday, but I figured our Tasmanian members might be interested as I hear the anchors work very well in kelp and sea grasses generally.

So a pretty sad day overall. Tragic to see such a great business going under, and I don't like to think of the implications of more low quality el-cheepo trailers on the road with me.

If you were thinking of buying one I suggest you get on the phone to North Haven Marine ASAP. Picture of the 35kg included for reference. That's 10mm chain and the back of an old Volvo for a scale reference. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1455843286.295754.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	119246

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 19-02-2016, 02:23   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: A bitter sweet day

Thanks for the heads up!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote