Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: 5/16 HT or 3/8 HT Chain?

Not cheap. West Marine can order it. Washington Chain Supply in Seattle can get it. Not sure on the east coast. Try calling ACCO/Pearless for a supplier near you.

I should have added the Dashews use Grade 70.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:55   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have been having a similar debate for my chain. Current setup is 3/8" BBB but I also have a gipsy for 5/16 G40 HT. The G40 is cheaper, lighter, stronger than the 3/" BBB so that decision for me is a no brainer.\

So HT is decided. The next question is 5/16 HT vs 3/8 HT. My boat is 42' about 25,000 lbs and I'm thinking the 5/16" HT will be more than adequate, even in storm conditions.

Suggestions and differing opinions welcome.

You and I are essentially the same I believe, now Rocna recommends 3/8 HT for their 33 Kg anchor, even for the next size smaller as well.

How about 200' of 3/8 HT and another 100 to 200 ' of nylon rode? Surely your beyond chafe as a concern with 200' of chain out
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:59   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Not cheap. West Marine can order it. Washington Chain Supply in Seattle can get it. Not sure on the east coast. Try calling ACCO/Pearless for a supplier near you.

I should have added the Dashews use Grade 70.
I'm a little familiar with it as it's used as aircraft tie down chains and as trucker chains as well, but I've only seen the yellow color zinc dichromate stuff that would rust in minutes in salt water, never seen hot dip galvanized, it's out there I'm sure, but sometimes you reach a point of diminishing returns, by that I mean to get a little better comes at a great cost.
Grade 70 may be beyond the point of being cost effective?

West Marine is my go to for small items that I don't mind paying too much for, but anchor chain isn't in that category
Old 11-11-2014, 11:47   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Hot dipped G70 can be purchased from West Marine or their commercial side, Port Supply. You might find someone with a port supply account and get a discount. Or even Kim Winkler at Columbia Marine exchange (503) 289-0944 who >>>may<<< be able to have it delivered to you.

I use 5/16" G70 on my 32000# boat.

Of importance is to match the loads on the entire length of the anchoring "chain". Cleats, stoppers, bridles, rode/chain, shackles, anchor should all be sized to exceed the peak load you expect. Typically the weakest link is the attachment to the boat - cleats or stopper. At least with the typical small washers often found. Be sure that they are up to the task.

You know all this of course.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:21   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

West Marine has it for $6.40 a ft.
Wonder how much cheaper port supply would be?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:28   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
West Marine has it for $6.40 a ft.
Wonder how much cheaper port supply would be?
I got it for $4.50 a foot.... in 2011 but the WM per foot was $6+ then also. There was some shipping I paid also but for me it was nominal.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:31   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Check out Maggi Aqua 7 - by far the best chain you will find (see link). Apparently, they had a booth at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show, so maybe they are beginning to distribute in the US now? Might want to check that out.

We have had 5/16" Maggi Aqua 4 on our 40' catamaran for over 4 years now.

Caribbean's Leading Chandlery - Budget Marine

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:36   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In reality, the ultimate strength of new chain is not the only factor to be considered. Damn few anchor chains actually break in the cruising world, and nearly never where the load is supplied by an anchor rather than by being fouled on immovable rocks or wreckage.

Using the heavier, non-HT chain does have some advantages:

There is a greater margin for wear and rust degradation over the years.

The catenary, even though it may not help in extreme conditions, does help in damping surge loads encountered in moderate to strong conditions.

The increased weight of chain lying upon the seabed MAY help in slowing the reversal of direction of pull on the anchor in a big wind shift. The photos that Nolex has posted demonstrate that phenomenom.

There are no issues with re-galvanizing as there are with the higher grades.

These factors must be balanced against the reduced weight forward realized with the smaller HT chain. Different boats react differently to such loads, but IMO for the OP's boat the weight increment will have little noticeable effect. Perhaps an experiment with a few jugs of water would be of use to him.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-11-2014, 13:15   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

G40 and G70 chain I believe has the same steel, difference is heat treat, you will lose about 10% of strength in regalvanizing, but only once, it's not 10% each time.

I've just about talked myself into 3'8" HT chain, for very similar reasons my anchor is oversized, a bigger layer of fudge.

It takes three big guys on the bow looking at the Dolphins for me to notice a difference, but what I don't know is how much mass is needed for her to begin Hobby horsing? She doesn't at all now, but then there is no weight in either end of the boat now.

As far as breakage, it's not a wind load that wold worry be, but a shock load from waves, as long as I have a good long snubber, hopefully they will be in check.

Has anyone here stretched a chain before? I've several time with the backhoe, tractor etc., rare for a chain to break but I've stretched a few
Old 11-11-2014, 14:15   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

1st Chain supply has 5/16 G-40 for $4.10 per ft, free shipping on half barrel (275'.)
I have a 7/16" HT shackle in my 5/16 chain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 16:13   #26

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I've just about talked myself into 3'8" HT chain, for very similar reasons my anchor is oversized, a bigger layer of fudge.
I had just about talked myself into replacing my G30 with G43 next time around as well, until I read the Practical Sailor article referenced by Mark above. Now I'm not so sure.

From the article:

"All of the G30 chain well exceeded minimum specification, and some approached the supposedly stronger G40 specifications."
"PS has always recommended G30 chain over G43, and our testing of G30 for UTS underscores this. G30 supplied by a reputable company is much stronger than its minimum specified rating, and history suggests that chain manufacturing is consistently good."

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 17:11   #27

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

I ordered the 8mm ( 5/16 ) G70 "Aqua 7" direct from Maggi italy .i paid 728 Euro for 100m
And that included something extra for the proof test and something extra for the calibrated grade
That's less than 3$/ ft.
Probably cost that again to ship it to Panama, but I had a lot of other stuff in the box with it.
If you are in Europe that's the best price I found. I ordered it online there was a link on the Maggi site.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 19:35   #28

This might prove to be helpful if you haven't already checked it out.
Chain (Rocna Knowledge Base)

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 19:47   #29

Boat: Tartan 40

So with 5/16 HT chain, the galvanized shackles that actually fit seem to be the weak link by reading breaking loads and by just looking at them. I am using a suncor swivel shackle which is rated above chain strength. Is there a stronger option? SS makes me nervous even though I rinse in fresh water often.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 20:35   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Something on your deck will fail long before the G70 5/16--18000lb break strength is exceeded.

I had ACCO put oversized end links on the G70. My limiting factor is the slot on the anchor for shackle size. If you buy the alloy shackles from 1st Chain Supply, they will be stronger than the chain. If you want a swivel, first add 8-10 links with a regular alloy shackle attached between the chain/anchor, then the swivel, then the rest of the chain. This will reduce potential side loads on the swivel where it is weakest.

Many ways to get the job done. Just decide if you need the weight of a full grown man standing on the bow forevermore.

And now for the hijack . . . . . can someone tell me where to buy alloy shackles that are flush on both sides (no asymmetrical pin)?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote