Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
3-Strand Vs Double Braid

Which is better, 3-strand nylon or double braid nylon, for anchor rode?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: 3-Strand Vs Double Braid

Neither. 8 strand "Brait" is best.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I've used brait, both New England Rope and Yale, and also three strand but finally settled on Nova Gold by NovaBraid. NovaGold is a double braided line specifically designed for mooring and anchoring use.

We've been using it now for about 8 years and will not go back to three strand and likely not a brait as it tended to catch on everything and lacked grip on my windlass compared to the double braid. I could not be happier with our NovaGold rode and it has held up extremely well. I also have 300 feet of chain but get sick of washing it. So when coastal cruising we usually use the NovaGold/chain combo rode...
Old 03-07-2013, 05:47   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

Maine,

I've only seen Nova on EBay. Are their other products comparable to NE and Samson?
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

The 8-brait I have has good stretchablity and is easy to handle, stores beautifully. Its downside is that it chafes easily, not really a good quality in anchor rode. But since I only anchor for a night at a time and don't live "on the hook" it's not a big concern for me.

At 67 it's more important that I be able to handle it easily (no windlass). It's less likely to get caught around a foot while working with it, important if you're soloing.

I don't have a big anchor locker, and using 8 brait allows me to keep two anchors ready to deploy at the bow.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33   #6

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

this..

it coils, its soft , it doesnt kink, it lays flat, its easy to handle... one of the best upgrades i did was toss away all three strand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Which is better, 3-strand nylon or double braid nylon, for anchor rode?

To answer the specific question I prefer (and currently use) 3 strand for anchoring of the two options listed.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:04   #8
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

3 strand has slightly more elasticity than braid upto 15% overall stretch, (both nylon, both the same size). Of the same size they both have similar breaking strengths. On balance therefore 3 strand is better. But I suspect you will not tell the difference.

But braid is easier to handle (more tactile), 3 strand tends to be a bit wiry and is difficult to stow.

3 strand I find easier to splice (but I'm not very practised) and knots will seriously weaken the overall rode.

I'd focus on brand name, non branded and you have no idea what you are getting, particularly with braid.

Good luck

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:31   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

On the boat, I don't use 3-strand for anything anymore.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
3 strand has slightly more elasticity than braid upto 15% overall stretch, (both nylon, both the same size). Of the same size they both have similar breaking strengths. On balance therefore 3 strand is better. But I suspect you will not tell the difference.

Check the link to Nova Gold above. The stretch all depends on how it is braided. Nova Gold double braid actually has better stretch than many three strand products..
Old 04-07-2013, 05:01   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with a choice o f double braid or 3 strand, the 3 strand is better, as it will not snap in heavy conditions, as will the double braid--i watched 3 boats breakaway from moorings in coronado due to the double braid snapping. 3 strand will stretch.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16   #12
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Check the link to Nova Gold above. The stretch all depends on how it is braided. Nova Gold double braid actually has better stretch than many three strand products..
Quite correct, climbing rope is a braid - it stretches more than anything - and its only nylon.

I looked at a number of suppliers. Marlow, Liros, Donaghys - it does depend on construction.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
with a choice o f double braid or 3 strand, the 3 strand is better, as it will not snap in heavy conditions, as will the double braid--i watched 3 boats breakaway from moorings in coronado due to the double braid snapping. 3 strand will stretch.

If you base your evidence on a n=3 without knowing what they used for product, how old it was, what they had for chafe gear, how long the snubbers were etc. etc.. you may go though life choosing based on a flawed data set....

We have a mooring field here with over 1200 boats. This is excellent testing grounds for Yale Cordage to test & continually improve their mooring pendants. Yale double braid pendants survive storms far better than any three strand in this mooring field...

Again it is all about HOW a double braid or three strand is made. There are horribly crappy examples of both out there and when boaters often choose by price/ft well you sometimes get what you pay for...

Our boat was less than 30 yards from this one in the same storm and our Yale double braid pendants sustained no damage, NO DAMAGE, his boat broke free and wound up grounded 4 miles away. These 3 strand pendants were brand new about three weeks before the storm my Yale double braid were two years old and had already been through one other bad Nor' Easter......

Old 04-07-2013, 05:53   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I now prefer three strand for the simple fact that you can re-splice it. When using a chain/line anchor rode sooner or later the line will chafe at the thimble and should be re-spliced. Double braid cannot be re-spliced.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I now prefer three strand for the simple fact that you can re-splice it. When using a chain/line anchor rode sooner or later the line will chafe at the thimble and should be re-spliced. Double braid cannot be re-spliced.
????????
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote