Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What are you using as a 2nd Anchor / Storm anchor?
Fortress 26 40.00%
CQR 11 16.92%
Delta 4 6.15%
Danforth 8 12.31%
Manson Supreme 3 4.62%
Rocna 4 6.15%
Bruce / Manson Ray 4 6.15%
Forfjord 1 1.54%
Spade 3 4.62%
Other 8 12.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 17:55   #46

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: 2nd Anchor / Storm anchor Poll

For those who don't know, Luke anchors.
Old 23-02-2013, 17:57   #47

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

I am a bit suprised by the use "downunder" of slotted anchors: here in Europe it seems they are since more than 10 years barred for security reasons.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:02   #48

Here in the USA we have some smaller slotted anchors used by fishing boats, but you wouldn't find any larger ones for cruising boats. Except, now we're getting the Manson anchors, and I think I even saw a Rocna with a slot in one of the catalogs. What worries me is that people will use the slot who don't know how to use it and will wake up in the middle of the night on the beach, when the wind has gone 180 degrees.
Old 23-02-2013, 18:43   #49
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visarend View Post
I am a bit suprised by the use "downunder" of slotted anchors: here in Europe it seems they are since more than 10 years barred for security reasons.
I've read Kettlewells post as well.

Visarend - can you expand on the 'barred' - on what basis?

Congo will give chapter and verse but the whole idea of them is that they are easily retrieved from rock, or when caught under ground chains etc. It seems better to be able to retrieve (or have the option to set so that you can retrieve) than lose (or bend, if its a bendy one) the anchor. They are also meant to be 'self' resetting when in a tide or 180 degree wind shift. They are rated in Oz to be used on some pretty monster oil rig support vessels (where requirements are pretty strict - but the same as Europe or N Am). It seems most unlikely they will be passed for Survey in Oz but would be banned in Europe.

But anything is possible - so I'm ready to be educated.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:22   #50
cruiser

Viserend wrote:

Congo here Viserend, this is a debate that could go on forever, before I say anything further.

I have stated many times our anchors are certified as Super High Holding Power anchors, this certification is carried world wide under the banner of AMSA, AMSA have now taken over the N.M.S.C. similar to AMASA but regulated all austraslian marine requirments certification and so on.

All requirments passed by the N.M.S.C. have been excepted carried and executed by AMSA. if our Sarca trip concept had any floors there is no way we would have obtained certification. That said.

You would remeber the controversial West Marine anchor test, well one of the major concentrations from our oposition compannies made sure the focus on our trip release was going to be very much part of these tests.

Result after vering, numerous times, 180 turns they could not upset or trip the Sarca, as a result of very respectable holding power figures and were labled in the following sentence, Sarca was a consistant performer,if any anchor came close to being the best all round anchor,the Sarca came close,no mention of self tripping.

Further in the real world,that same old Sarca model saved lives in the Phuket Tsunami , all three boats anchored there never moved with wild 180 degree ripping turns vortexes and the the like ,not one tripped acidently the fantastic old Sarca.Yet after this incredible experience if you look at origional Photo on our webb site you wont see another boat unless you look around the rocks.

Understand, that anchor was the origional Sarca anchor, (not the Super Sarca) two differnt beasts but still sporting the Automatic trip Release,

When Rocna was realeased there was an imediate campaign bought about by them that our trip release would not only weaken the anchor but was dangerouse, well years gone by what do we see, a Manson with a slotted shank ,and low and behold a Rocna with a slotted shank.

To combat the ferousiuos campaign to discreddit our trip release we then offerd to the customers a stainless bolt with a nylock nut so as you could lock of the trip release if you felt there was some truth in the scare mongering, I notice Manson have the same set up in the boss and claim it is patented , sorry fellars, plenty of documented eveidence in now many forums going back seven years.

you are probably better to exercise this through the Excel thread as comment by Bullwinkle of whom has had considerable experience with our trip release could enlighten you that this concept of the Sarca is full proof when it comes to tripping the anchor out and dragging rearward, doesn't happen, it will react no different than a fixed shackle hole on commpon anchors when or if the Sarca is summersulted.

Sorry about the spelling it is not my strongest point.

Regards Rex.

CEO of Anchor Right Australia
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:37   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
For those who don't know, Luke anchors.
Its been mentioned that you need some weight to penetrate 'weed' and I assume that anyone buying a Luke wants it for weed or do you, (N Ams) use them in rock? The big ones are obviously too big for most cruising yachts, but is there a minimum size before they actually start to merit carrying them? I've tried a little one (fishermans not Luke), complete waste of time, and somebody on the Excel or Supreme thread carries one (Fisherman I assume not Luke).
Old 23-02-2013, 19:39   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The trouble with this thread is its title, almost suggesting that your second anchor is your storm anchor. My best anchor is on my boat ready to deploy. My second anchor is there for adding to the main anchor, either as a stern anchor or to layout as a support/supplement.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:44   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
HOLY SMOKY!!! That is a lot of weight on the bow
Just the anchor on the roller. The chain and windlass is further aft.

Here you can see the setup and our ships cat inspecting the chain stopper:
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:56   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The trouble with this thread is its title, almost suggesting that your second anchor is your storm anchor. My best anchor is on my boat ready to deploy. My second anchor is there for adding to the main anchor, either as a stern anchor or to layout as a support/supplement.
+1

Except that my second anchor (and third) will always be sufficient to replace the first (should I need to lend it to someone whose first anchor is inadequate).
Old 23-02-2013, 20:07   #55

Boat: csy 37

csy 37, 20000lb cutter. in florida/bahamas i've never had out more than 90' of rode.

main - 45lb manson supreme with 130' 3/8" bbb chain.
second - 35lb ht danforth with 40' 3/8" bbb chain, 100' 5/8" nylon.
in the lazarette - 20' 3/8" bbb chain, 100' 5/8" nylon, looking for a suitable big spare that will fit in the lazarette.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:26   #56

Quote:
Its been mentioned that you need some weight to penetrate 'weed' and I assume that anyone buying a Luke wants it for weed or do you, (N Ams) use them in rock? The big ones are obviously too big for most cruising yachts, but is there a minimum size before they actually start to merit carrying them? I've tried a little one (fishermans not Luke), complete waste of time, and somebody on the Excel or Supreme thread carries one (Fisherman I assume not Luke).
Paul Luke makes them in 40 lbs and up, and I have used one once on someone else's boat that had gone aground in the rocks. I think it was around 70 or 80 lbs. and was his emergency anchor. We had to assemble on deck and then deploy from a tiny rowing inflatable, which was not easy. Then winched like crazy on an all nylon rode. The anchor hooked into the rocks and held like crazy. We were actually dragging the boat through the rocks when the owner told us to stop and wait for the tide, which was smart. The palms are pretty big on the Lukes and the Herreshoffs, so they hold better in mud and sand than you would think. Still, the recommended weights are pretty high. Luke recommends two pounds of anchor per foot of waterline length.

I see a guy regularly with two smaller Herreshoff anchors who sails all around the Buzzards Bay area in a little wooden double ender. He always drops two anchors, but he and I have rode out some bad blows next to each other and he doesn't drag. He anchors in a very weedy part of Cuttyhunk Pond where most boats don't dare try to get a hold, and he seems to be able to handle it.
Old 24-02-2013, 16:38   #57

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I anchor in Cuttyhunk all the time and agree that the north east corner is just a grassy quagmire. The rest of the box has very good anchoring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuttyhunk Pond.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	55676  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:42   #58

Yep, he and I often anchor up in the northeast corner, with him closer to the edge of the shoal. My 45 lb Bulwagga could handle weed well--in fact it was designed by a guy fed up with the performance of other anchors in weed. Worked well in harder Caribbean bottoms too.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:11   #59

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
The rest of the box has very good anchoring
I wish you could anchor in the rest of the box. Too many darn mooring sticks!

Primary anchor: Rocna 25Kg
Backup / Stern / Bahamian / Kedge: Spade A100
Storm, I guess: Fx-37

As with others, the second isn't the storm; and it would have to be a big storm to use anything but the primary.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 17:35   #60

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
I wish you could anchor in the rest of the box. Too many darn mooring sticks!

Primary anchor: Rocna 25Kg
Backup / Stern / Bahamian / Kedge: Spade A100
Storm, I guess: Fx-37

As with others, the second isn't the storm; and it would have to be a big storm to use anything but the primary.
To this day we have never anchored on the outside of Cuttyhunk. Always pull in and find a space to drop the hook. Had the whole anchorage to ourselves a few years back when hurricane Dennis blew through there. Just the two of use having lobster and wine
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, poll