Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-05-2017, 17:28   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
2 Anchors, but only 1 Roller - A Question

Iím curious to hear how others setup/configure things when itís time to put down a 2nd anchor off the bow. Doing so when you only have 1 bow roller. Specifically, assuming a mixed rode on the 2nd anchor, where & through what do you lead the rode. Also, what specific precautions do you take in order to avoid chafing, since this 2nd rode wonít be led over the roller.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 17:36   #2

Re: 2 Anchors, but only 1 Roller - A Question

Not trying to be a jerk. But if you get a bit oversized New Generation anchor you will only need the one

Old 19-05-2017, 17:45   #3

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

I am with motion30 in that an oversized New Gen anchor is all that's needed.

If you really wanted a 2nd anchor. Most launch a 2nd anchor from a dinghy to form a Y and then tie the 2nd one off on a bow cleat
Old 19-05-2017, 17:49   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk. But if you get a bit oversized New Generation anchor you will only need the one
Not what I asked. Especially since if you're in the path of a named storm, or hurricane, you'll definitely want to have more than one anchor down. With a couple of them being led to the bow.

Ditto if you happen to be in an area with large tidal variations which cause extreme currents every time the tide changes. Since then, it would be nice to have a pair of anchors down, each positioned optimially to handle the direction of the shift of the moment.

Ergo my question.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 18:01   #5
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Those guy's are being silly, of course there are times when 2 are needed. We have 2 rollers but if you are using a snubber on the chain, one roller is enough. There is no movement of the chain in the roller and no chaffe, so all is good.
Old 19-05-2017, 18:02   #6

Boat: 15m Cat

On our corbin 39 we ran them both through the same roller, but each had a snubber so not much worry about chafe in the roller. we did the same with our previous boat too, snubbers through the fairleads, and rode through the roller.
if you had to pull one up, or let more out, they slid by each other ok.
We used this system through hurricane juan, direct hit, no chafe at the roller. one anchor all chain, other anchor chain and 3 strand.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 19-05-2017, 18:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I am with motion30 in that an oversized New Gen anchor is all that's needed.

If you really wanted a 2nd anchor. Most launch a 2nd anchor from a dinghy to form a Y and then tie the 2nd one off on a bow cleat
While it is true that one large anchor answers most situations, there are times when a second anchor is helpful, and not just for added holding power, either!

For us, it has sometimes been to limit our swinging circle in a shifting wind situation. In those situations, we've either motored up to drop the second anchor or used the dinghy to take it out. Then we've done as Cotemar suggested above, routing the nylon through a (nice, smooth) chock and thence to our central sampson post type bollard. A second roller would be better, but isn't readily available to us.

Jim
Old 19-05-2017, 18:08   #8

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

In a named storm I would use the big bow anchor an dinghy launch 2 anchors off the stern to form a large triangle with 10+:1 legs.

If I could find some mangroves, I would put the bow into them an spider line to the mangroves an then dinghy out 2 anchors in a large Y off the stern. 10+:1 legs
Old 19-05-2017, 18:30   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What we've done is have the 2nd anchor with mainly rope rode (3 strand nylon). It comes through an unlocking chock, then to a bollard on the foredeck forward of the windlass. The curve of the hull has a s/s smooth chafe guard. Haven't had chafe in prolonged 50+ kn.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 18:30   #10
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
In a named storm I would use the big bow anchor an dinghy launch 2 anchors off the stern to form a large triangle with 10+:1 legs.

If I could find some mangroves, I would put the bow into them an spider line to the mangroves an then dinghy out 2 anchors in a large Y off the stern. 10+:1 legs
It does not need to be a "named storm". Anchoring around coral when the wind might shift during the nigh is a good example of needing 2 anchors. It has nothing to do with the anchor dragging.
Old 19-05-2017, 18:44   #11
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I’m curious to hear how others setup/configure things when it’s time to put down a 2nd anchor off the bow.
It sort of depends on why exactly you are putting down two anchors. There are several quite different purposes for two anchors.

1. If it is purely for extra holding, I personally prefer to put them in series (tandem anchors), and then you only have one rode coming in over the roller. This is a very common configuration in Chile and there are various tricks to making it flawless. I can get into details if you want - or you can pick up the chile guide where it is all laid out.

2. If you want a V configuration with your anchors to limit movement, the easiest way is simply to bring the other rode in over the same single roller. You can bring it in thru a hawser hole if you have a really smooth chafe free one, but few boats do these days. You can set and pick up this second anchor either by driving the 'big boat' or from the dinghy - I would usually use the dinghy. It helps to put a buoy on the main anchor (which I usually do NOT do) so you know where to set the second anchor relative to the main.

3. There are various reasons to put anchors off the stern (Bahama moor, etc), but I guess you are not asking about them because you refer to the single roller.

There is a technique for setting what was called a 'sea plane mooring' - several anchors set out in a star pattern coming to a swivel, with a single rode coming to the boat. This was used by the old time CCA types cruising the far north. But it is rarely used today.

None of this is rocket science. You are a smart guy - you can mostly just make it up as you go along

Cotemar, the mangrove plan is good for several reasons. But short of that the triangle option is really probably not the best approach. First you really want the bow to swing to the wind. You dont want your anchors to hold you beam onto the wind. Second, you can usually have a decent idea of what arcs you will get strong wind and which you will not (and equally where you do not want to drag toward), and you can favor those areas with your anchor sets.
Old 19-05-2017, 20:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: North End Marine - Stellar 30

Snubbers and your favorite hitch knots are your friend in this situation.

I'd put a snubber from the main rode to a bow cleat, and another snubber from the secondary rode to the other bow cleat. And then run/attach both (slack) rodes over the roller.

And think through adequate chafe protection for everything.
Old 20-05-2017, 11:39   #13

What a conundrum!
I do not believe they make roller splitters anywhere now. I know just dropping them over the side is very yesterday and requires reattachment if chaffing is to be avoided. I suspect you probably know the choices, but are trolling for ones that may have been missed and will perhaps work without chewing up the boat or the rode. You could pretend the rode is a dock line that you are enhancing it for a big blow.
Old 20-05-2017, 17:05   #14

Boat: Catalina 350

[QUOTE=estarzinger;2396495]It sort of depends on why exactly you are putting down two anchors. There are several quite different purposes for two anchors.

1. If it is purely for extra holding, I personally prefer to put them in series (tandem anchors), and then you only have one rode coming in over the roller. This is a very common configuration in Chile and there are various tricks to making it flawless. I can get into details if you want - or you can pick up the chile guide where it is all laid out.

I for one would like to know more about this method. I searched the site but could not find anything. Could you please refer me to an appropriate page or provide more detail?
Old 20-05-2017, 18:22   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch

[QUOTE=Seas the Day;2396948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
It sort of depends on why exactly you are putting down two anchors. There are several quite different purposes for two anchors.

I for one would like to know more about this method. I searched the site but could not find anything. Could you please refer me to an appropriate page or provide more detail?
Quite common, I've done it on a number of occasions when the situation warranted it.....

Two to Tandem: Maximizing Holding Power by Tandem Anchoring

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: