Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2019, 05:47   #1

Zodiac wave 310 opinions

Hi all, we are buying a new dinghy this year and I would like to hear opinions/reviews on this model. It’s a zodiac 310 and I found it new for $1525. The price seems excellent, but I don’t really know my RIBs. The boat is for 2 people, 2 med dogs, cruising Maine and I will be using my old Merc 4hp.

This is the model:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...RoCXLYQAvD_BwE
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 10:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Zodiac wave 310 opinions

I bought a Zodiac, once.
I think you would be better off if money is why your looking at a Zodiac to buy a used better quality dinghy.
If money isn’t the reason, then in my opinion don’t waste it on a Zodiac.

Our Cadet 3.10 Hypalon RIB seemed to be a great boat, well designed, Hypalon etc.
Then it started to fall apart at about a yr old, the Hypalon material was fine, but anything glued to it was not, and the real problem was the glue was beginning to deteriorate and leaks at glue joints began to appear, it got so bad at about 2 yrs or maybe 3 that I was afraid it would literally unzip itself and leave us stranded.
I tried to have it repaired by a professional, who said “I can’t fix this”

However I think it was a very well designed boat, and think the Hypalon was as good as as anyone else’s, however the “bits” and the adhesive weren’t.

I think that there are only two sources of Hypalon, and if it’s Hypalon, whether it’s a high dollar boat or not, it’s good material.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 10:45   #3

Re: Zodiac wave 310 opinions

Thanks a64. Would something like an Achilles LEX-96 be a significant improvement? I'm seeing them for slightly more. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...288&id=4504768
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 09:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'

The Zodiac Wave series are PVC, but mostly thermowelded for the later generations.

Very little adhesive is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I tried to have it repaired by a professional, who said “I can’t fix this”
Everything is fixable. Most RIB shops prefer to sell new craft though. Higher margins for less work.

Didn't you turn around and buy an AB from that shop?
Old 20-03-2019, 14:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD8NPB View Post
The Zodiac Wave series are PVC, but mostly thermowelded for the later generations.

Very little adhesive is used.

Everything is fixable. Most RIB shops prefer to sell new craft though. Higher margins for less work.

Didn't you turn around and buy an AB from that shop?

Yes, I did, because I was stuck, without a dinghy, you have no way ashore, plus there was an issue with warranty not being any good, I don’t remember the specifics, but think anything that was glued to the boat only had a 1 yr warranty.
I will never use that shop again as I feel sure I was being manipulated.
I did contact Zodiac in Ft Lauderdale and they were no help either.
As I said I think it was a well designed boat, but apparently everything that was glued to the boat was of poor quality, and the glue was poor as well.
I bet for not a whole lot more money, it could have been a nice boat, other than being a little heavy, it didn’t as far as I could tell have any design deficiencies, it handled very well and was a very fast boat, nice and stable at high speed. Much faster than my AB that replaced it.
However it didn’t hold air well even from the first day, it had to be pumped up every weekend before use, and got to where it had to be pumped up every day, it was leaking from the seams.
The AB that we have had over a year now, I have added air twice in a year and a half.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 04:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Some of the features unique to the Zodiac Wave series include:
Fully welded seams (PVC) [versus partially welded]
Welded transom cuffs with a proprietary thermoweld-riveted transom attachment
Welded attachments (rubstrake, d-rings, oarlock , oarlock base, etc)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac