Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2012, 16:16   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Zodiac PVC RIB Repair

Just got our hands on a Zodiac RIB with PVC tubes.......with a few problems / issues. The tubes are holding air fine and there are no holes and patches on them BUT there have been many repairs to the tubes/GRP Hull junction. The Dinghy leaks water lots of water..........So after lifting the dinghy out of the water and rolling the dinghy over on deck we can see why. The PVC GRP junction faring material is not stuck onto the GRP hull in many places ...This has been repaired before (if i can call the work that was done a repair) with what looks like black 5200 . There is a 4" wide fairing strip on the bottom of the tubes overlapping the GRP hull this not fixed to the GRP in a few big areas and the previous attempt(s) at sorting this well it looks looks like black 5200 was used It looks messy and it is not doing the job. Also the inside of the dinghy where the PVC tubes meet the hull is covered in black 5200 as well - applied in a not very careful manner - had they used white 5200 rather than black at least it would have looked nicer.

So how do i fix this mess and get a watertight RIB and have the PVC tube fairings permanently attached to the GRP hull. Is this a DIY job or one for the 'professionals'?

thanks in anticipation
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Zodiac PVC RIB Repair

5200 will not stick to pvc,you need to use the correct 2 pack solvent based pvc glue.
also all surfaces to be glued need cleaning with MEK{methylethelketone} once all the 5200 is removed.
gluing must also be done in low humidity conditions.

if the damage is extensive it is definetly a proffesional job,or better start looking for a hypolon rib,pvc does not fair well in the tropics,espesially the zodiac dinghys,i have one sitting out back with exactly the same problem.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:34   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
The key to it is removal of all old crud. Glues sealants etc. I know toulol or? Sp. Works great for hypalon. Dunno about.pvc but it needs to be clean before the correct glues will hold. The big issue withpvc is it degrades with time and therefore repairs dont last as long. I.e. we reglued a floor in a 6 year old zodiac it lasted 2 more years. Repaired it again only got a year out of it then gave it away. Never leaked air but all the glued seams were failing.
If your experimenting and for ir for free or cheap id try gorilla glue. That stuff rocks!!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:39   #4

Boat: Haida 26

Fixed mine w/ shoe-goo. Has worked for a year now, but now leaks where I haven't fixed. Time for a new boat.. ..Michael..

PS the shoe-goo will stick to anything. Stays fexible...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 20:11   #5

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
5200 will not stick to pvc,you need to use the correct 2 pack solvent based pvc glue.
also all surfaces to be glued need cleaning with MEK{methylethelketone} once all the 5200 is removed.
gluing must also be done in low humidity conditions.

if the damage is extensive it is definetly a proffesional job,or better start looking for a hypolon rib,pvc does not fair well in the tropics,espesially the zodiac dinghys,i have one sitting out back with exactly the same problem.
Curious what is the correct 2 pack solvent based PVC glue. I have never repaired a ding before. I've looked high and low here. Noone knows anything including WM. I think they're playing dumb to get me to buy a new dinghy. Any help appreciated.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 20:13   #6

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Fixed mine w/ shoe-goo. Has worked for a year now, but now leaks where I haven't fixed. Time for a new boat.. ..Michael..

PS the shoe-goo will stick to anything. Stays fexible...
I have a PVC leak. Curious, just what is Shoe-goo?

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 21:19   #7

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
I have a PVC leak. Curious, just what is Shoe-goo?
It,s a shoe repair stuff in a tube, can buy most any dept store. This stuff is tough as nails & stay's flexable. I just had to try it on my leaker last summer, still working w/ no signs of any peeling.. My Zodiak is just about dead and time to buy a new one, had nothing to lose.. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 22:10   #8

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling
Just got our hands on a Zodiac RIB with PVC tubes.......with a few problems / issues. The tubes are holding air fine and there are no holes and patches on them BUT there have been many repairs to the tubes/GRP Hull junction. The Dinghy leaks water lots of water..........So after lifting the dinghy out of the water and rolling the dinghy over on deck we can see why. The PVC GRP junction faring material is not stuck onto the GRP hull in many places ...This has been repaired before (if i can call the work that was done a repair) with what looks like black 5200 . There is a 4" wide fairing strip on the bottom of the tubes overlapping the GRP hull this not fixed to the GRP in a few big areas and the previous attempt(s) at sorting this well it looks looks like black 5200 was used It looks messy and it is not doing the job. Also the inside of the dinghy where the PVC tubes meet the hull is covered in black 5200 as well - applied in a not very careful manner - had they used white 5200 rather than black at least it would have looked nicer.

So how do i fix this mess and get a watertight RIB and have the PVC tube fairings permanently attached to the GRP hull. Is this a DIY job or one for the 'professionals'?

thanks in anticipation
David,

I hope the dink was free. I know someone that has a China-made PVC with exactly the same problem including the 5200. He has been working on it for over a year...still leaks.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, zodiac