Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 06:13   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke: Enduro or Leisure

We're going to buy a new Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke outboard to go with our new
Chalomark RIB. Apparently, Yamaha makes two 15hp 2-stroke outboards - one designed for commercial applications - Enduro - and the others are designed for the leisure market. There's something of a language barrier here in Thailand and the dealer can't explain to me the difference between the two other than about a 10% difference in cost. The model for the leisure market is slightly lighter than the Enduro but I'd like to know more specifics.

Does anyone out there know?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 06:21   #2

Boat: Vd Stadt 34
Re: Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke: Enduro or Leisure

Get the Enduro. The 15hp model is the most wanted and most stolen outboard in the world. There must be a good reason for that.
The more remote a place is the more enduro engines you will see. One of the most reliable engines on the market.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yamaha's Enduro models were designed and engineered with the durability and quality to withstand commercial uses, where the water quality, weather and climate variance, and long hours of continuous use make for a very harsh use environment.
Their leisure-use outboards were developed with lightness and compactness in mind.
The 2-stroke outboards - Consumer Products | YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:41   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I will disagree and say go for the leisure-use model. I think it is the best small engine Yamaha ever made, and probably the best small 2-stroke ever made by anyone. It is lighter and better performing than the Enduro, not to mention much quieter, better fuel economy, uses lower oil mixture, and has less vibration.

While it sounds like good marketing to say that the Enduro was built specifically for durability, that durability comes from lowering tolerances and, thus, performance, while removing niceties such as front-mounted shifting and charging circuits - while adding 10lbs to the casting. They were also made cheaper so that they would be more affordable in poorer countries.

The big tell here is that the leisure model requires a 100:1 oil mix while the Enduro needs a 50:1.

So yes, the Enduro's are better in the hands of poor island fisherman who mix motor oil in poor-quality gasoline, are not concerned about inefficiently burned fuel and oil, run them hot for weeks with broken impellers, run them for years with chipped propellers, don't care about the increased noise and vibration, etc.

This type of "ruggedness" isn't necessarily needed or wanted in a cruising boat outboard. Anyone who has operated both engines will tell you there is a distinct difference - and I suspect most would favor the better-built "leisure" model.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:08   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I will disagree and say go for the leisure-use model. I think it is the best small engine Yamaha ever made, and probably the best small 2-stroke ever made by anyone. It is lighter and better performing than the Enduro, not to mention much quieter, better fuel economy, uses lower oil mixture, and has less vibration.

While it sounds like good marketing to say that the Enduro was built specifically for durability, that durability comes from lowering tolerances and, thus, performance, while removing niceties such as front-mounted shifting and charging circuits - while adding 10lbs to the casting. They were also made cheaper so that they would be more affordable in poorer countries.

The big tell here is that the leisure model requires a 100:1 oil mix while the Enduro needs a 50:1.

So yes, the Enduro's are better in the hands of poor island fisherman who mix motor oil in poor-quality gasoline, are not concerned about inefficiently burned fuel and oil, run them hot for weeks with broken impellers, run them for years with chipped propellers, don't care about the increased noise and vibration, etc.

This type of "ruggedness" isn't necessarily needed or wanted in a cruising boat outboard. Anyone who has operated both engines will tell you there is a distinct difference - and I suspect most would favor the better-built "leisure" model.

Mark
Completely agree with Mark on this. The Enduro model is a bit crude by comparison, and the leisure model is extremely reliable on its own mettle.

Jim
Old 26-08-2014, 15:44   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Yamaha specified 100:1 mix for the engines that used to be sold in the US to make the EPA happy. For the same engine sold in the Bahamas and much of the non-EPA world, they recommend 50:1. I have had three of these motors (Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke). Still have two and use 50:1 in them. Best dink engine in the world!
Old 26-08-2014, 15:51   #7

Agree with getting the more refined one. It's still bullet proof and the weight savings is significant.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 16:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've heard, but do not know that in the Bahamas at least only the Enduro is available? I was led to believe the lighter model is much sought after, but not easily found
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 16:29   #9

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: A different point of view

I can't advise on the merits of one model over the other, having owned neither and I never will, specifically for the reason noted in an earlier post:

"Enduro. The 15hp model is the most wanted and most stolen in the world. There must be a good reason for that. "

When we were down in the Caribbean, I reckoned that 10 -15, perhaps even 20% of the outboards used by the Cruising Yotties were Yamaha Enduros and perhaps 80-90% of those outboards we heard of being stolen were also the Enduros; these estimates support that earlier post.

Therefore the Yamaha Enduro is very good, perhaps 'the best' but there are many other outboards, from other manufacturers which are more than adequate to push your dink from ship to shore, so why put yourself in the firing line by buying the one model that's overwhelmingly the most likely to disappear?
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 16:37   #10

Boat: valiant 40

The only thing I can add to the conversation that in thailand and here in Malaysia you can get parts for the enduro everywhere and any fisherman can repair them,
Old 26-08-2014, 16:58   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: A different point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I can't advise on the merits of one model over the other, having owned neither and I never will, specifically for the reason noted in an earlier post:

"Enduro. The 15hp model is the most wanted and most stolen in the world. There must be a good reason for that. "

When we were down in the Caribbean, I reckoned that 10 -15, perhaps even 20% of the outboards used by the Cruising Yotties were Yamaha Enduros and perhaps 80-90% of those outboards we heard of being stolen were also the Enduros; these estimates support that earlier post.

Therefore the Yamaha Enduro is very good, perhaps 'the best' but there are many other outboards, from other manufacturers which are more than adequate to push your dink from ship to shore, so why put yourself in the firing line by buying the one model that's overwhelmingly the most likely to disappear?

Well, we got an Enduro and I like having an OB that is considered the best by people who live on the water. Might someone steal it?, maybe but I keep it locked. There are not many things that we can have that are the best and I like having something that is. Kind of like a cool car.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 17:04   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've heard, but do not know that in the Bahamas at least only the Enduro is available? I was led to believe the lighter model is much sought after, but not easily found
Lots of them available. Nassau, GT.
Old 26-08-2014, 18:08   #13

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Interesting question.

There is no doubt that the Enduro model is a ruggedized version of the leisure model.

I could go on and list the differences, from the water intake/anode/leg etc etc, but let me dwell on the important parts.

The motor shares a carburetor, the crankshaft, bearings, conrods, pistons that have been around since '94. The lower unit is different. The L has a mechanical timing advance, and the E has an electronic one, BUT the tuning is not as good on the E. The timing on an L is 30 deg BTDC at WOT, and 5 deg after at idle. The E model has an electronic box that averages the timing, so you wont go as fast flat out, and you wont start as easy at idle. They did this to stop the damage that occurs if you fiddle with the timing, and its cheaper. The cylinder head has an extra water passage on the E. The E runs cooler, and therefore smokier, and it uses 50:1 not 100:1.

There are other differences that will affect the user, like the position of the shift lever.

BOTH are excellent motors. BOTH will last for 15+ years correctly maintained. The Leisure one is a smoother motor, but the Enduro can handle abuse better, its a beast.

To try to use an analogy. The Leisure is a Thoroughbred and the Enduro is a Clydesdale. Its horses for courses.
Old 27-08-2014, 04:10   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Dont know the validity but was told the enduros were detuned 20 or 25s. I know the regular 9.9 is the same as a 15 but a different reed valve

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 04:45   #15

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Interesting question.

There is no doubt that the Enduro model is a ruggedized version of the leisure model.

I could go on and list the differences, from the water intake/anode/leg etc etc, but let me dwell on the important parts.

The motor shares a carburetor, the crankshaft, bearings, conrods, pistons that have been around since '94. The lower unit is different. The L has a mechanical timing advance, and the E has an electronic one, BUT the tuning is not as good on the E. The timing on an L is 30 deg BTDC at WOT, and 5 deg after at idle. The E model has an electronic box that averages the timing, so you wont go as fast flat out, and you wont start as easy at idle. They did this to stop the damage that occurs if you fiddle with the timing, and its cheaper. The cylinder head has an extra water passage on the E. The E runs cooler, and therefore smokier, and it uses 50:1 not 100:1.

There are other differences that will affect the user, like the position of the shift lever.

BOTH are excellent motors. BOTH will last for 15+ years correctly maintained. The Leisure one is a smoother motor, but the Enduro can handle abuse better, its a beast.

To try to use an analogy. The Leisure is a Thoroughbred and the Enduro is a Clydesdale. Its horses for courses.
Mike-
Thank you very much for the great reply. I now feel like I can make an informed decision even though I still haven't decided which outboard to ultimately buy. Since I'm kind of hard on things, I'm leaning towards the Enduro but I think my wife could handle the L model easier.

By the way, you've got a great blog and I really like your boat. My best wishes to your family and you.

Bakgat.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote