Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 11:57   #1

Question Windpilot Pacific Plus II on a Norlin 37

Hi!

Being offered a Windpilot Pacific Plus II, around 15 years old, currently mounted on a Bruce Roberts 53. It is actually made for larger boats than ours, which is a 37 feet, 7-8 ton boat. Bruce Roberts are much heavier of course, being built out of steel.

However, I figured that over-dimensioned gear could prove more reliable in demanding conditions.

Emailed with Mr. Peter Föhrtmann at Windpilot, who advices against, and quotes me a new Pacific standard instead.

Before going down that route, just wanted to double-check with the forum. Is the Plus II out of question for our boat? I like that is is an auxiliary rudder, like Hydrovane, which in effect gives you a SOS rudder also. Whereas the standard Pacific is using ropes to the wheel.

Boat specs:
NORLIN 37 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cheers

Bob
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 15:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Windpilot Pacific Plus II on a Norlin 37

Bought a used WPP Plus from an over 40'/25,000# boat and installed it on my Pearson 35. Sailed the boat downhill to Hawaii without a hitch. Winds were light for that passage usually around 8-10mph relative and course DDW which is typically the hardest point of sail and conditions for a self steering vane to handle. The WPPP rudder is quite large but didn't seem to hurt speed as I made the trip in 15 1/2 days averaging over 140mpd. Sailed wing and wing with the 135% genoa poled out for 13 days of the sail. Only modifications to the vane was a 8"x4' lightweight plastic wind vane to increase light air sensitivity.

The length of the vane was a minor issue. Mounted it as high as possible on the transom but steering rudder shaft coupling was right at the water line. Peter recommends 8" or so of the rudder out of the water at rest. Didn't effect steering ability so not a big thing but I didn't thoroughly coat the stainless fasteners on the connecting coupler between the rudder and the vane stock with lanolin and had a hell of a time getting them out. Shortened the vane casting and rudder stock by 8" so rudder coupling is now high enough it doesn't constantly get dipped in sea water at anchor or in the marina and bolts corroding are such an issue.

So, yes the vane is probably more than you need for your boat. The smaller version will be lighter and should fit without a hitch. The used one should be way less money and will probably work just fine if your boat does not have particularly low free board at the stern.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:34   #3

Boat: Swift 33

This post is already a couple of years old so it might be a long shot but I'm in a similar situation where I can by a used Pacific plus II for a reasonably price.
However our boat is only 33ft but quite heavy @ 6600kg.

Did you install the vane on your Norlin 37 or did you go with the (more expensive) new smaller vane in stead ?

The weight difference between the I and II is only 5 kg so that shouldn't really be a showstopper .....
iGrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:42   #4

Hi!

We didn’t buy that, instead went for a new Pacific.

Worked fine over the Atlantic twice!

Norlin 37 is 37 feet and roughly 10 tons.

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 10:02   #5

GOOD EVENING, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE RUDDER IS STILL FOR SALE.
THANKS
aLFREDO
Alfredo Gyziana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 06:20   #6

Hello Bob,
I see you ad still on the internet.
It this Windpilot 2 still available?
Please let me know.
Frans
FransvanBuuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 06:22   #7