Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 17:55   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Working on exploration type Super yachts we had a collection of tenders for different purposes.

Most of the inflatables were RIB’s for all the reasons stated above but we did carry a large (17ft) soft bottom Avon for hazardous beach operations in surf conditions.

(Like landing on elephant seal islands, or taking on supplies from an open beach)

Avon Military and Profesional - W525 HEAVY DUTY WORKBOAT

The least used inflatable, its primary asset was that it could be easily stored in a locker until needed, but even one of that size and quality had an uncomfortable ride compared to a RIB brother
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 21:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Most of the inflatables were RIB’s for all the reasons stated above but we did carry a large (17ft) soft bottom Avon for hazardous beach operations in surf conditions.
How many people needed to carry the above off the beach - with motor and gas it must have weighed close to 600 lbs ?
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 22:49   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
No , we rarely beached it… because of it’s shallower draft we could find places to deliver guests safely on shore past the breaking surf.

It was because it could pack up easily and be stored away that it earned a spot on board.

Running it in a seaway with the flexible floor you could feel every bump, which is why we normally used the RIB with a more forgiving hull
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 01:49   #19

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Reading many post here that seem to suggest RIBS are preferred over other inflatables?

I have used 10-12 foot inflatables both in the Gulf Islands, on large inland lakes (Great Slave) and on rivers. They seem to do well in all circumstances. Why are they viewed as not being that suitable for cruisers?

Any thoughts?
You are out cruising and are anchored in a nice quiet bay a mile from town. You need to get provisions. The strait between you and town has a chop running.
In a RIB, you quickly get up on a plane, get there in no time and stay dry.
In an ordinary inflatable, you are likely to have a much smaller engine. You are not able to get up on a plane, so waves are constantly coming in to the boat, it takes forever and you get wet.
That's what it boils down to IMHO

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 02:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdykes View Post
You are out cruising and are anchored in a nice quiet bay a mile from town. You need to get provisions. The strait between you and town has a chop running.
In a RIB, you quickly get up on a plane, get there in no time and stay dry.
In an ordinary inflatable, you are likely to have a much smaller engine. You are not able to get up on a plane, so waves are constantly coming in to the boat, it takes forever and you get wet.
That's what it boils down to IMHO

Cheers
Cliff
In Pelagic's post the inflatable is 17ft,the max size outboard for that is 70HP, that will get this one on the plane no problem and carry lots of provisions.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 02:30   #21

Ridged Bottom Inflatable = RIB ........... ?
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 02:58   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter View Post
Ridged Bottom Inflatable = RIB ........... ?
Rigid Inflatable Boat = RIB
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 05:06   #23

Boat: Able 50
There is also crosswind.

A soft bottom or slat bottom inflatable will go sideways very fast.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 05:30   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Small RIB vs larger soft dink

I have no doubt that all other things being equal the RIB is a better option for all the reasons listed. In my boat the davits would restrict the size of the RIB based on weight.

So ignoring for now the problem with sharp coral and rocky beaches, based just on performance, speed, load and dry ride which would be better, an 8' RIB or 11' hard floor, inflatable keel model?

One other question, seems like the newer soft bottoms offer several options in Al, wood, high pressure inflatable or roll up floors as well as high pressure inflatable keels, all supposed to give performance "similar" to a RIB. Any opinions on these various options?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 05:39   #25

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
If you still want to row neither are appropriate. Feel free to offer me a compact open ocean kayak or a dainty similar tender of classic design.
Old 22-01-2011, 06:28   #26

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback
Try dragging a soft bottomed dinghy onto a beach like this one and the next job will be repairing a puncture or worse.
Unless my eyes deceive me, that's exactly what the guy with the white inflatable did! :-) I have no problem picking my small plywood floored Avon up by myself. The two main problems with RIBs are WEIGHT and STORAGE. The reason that some people have chafe-thru on their fiberglass RIB hulls is that they are so damn heavy. It's nearly impossible for one person to lift them! (two people may struggle) These go fast boats only go fast because of their heavier outboards... Usually 15 HP and up... More weight. If you have the deck space, and can winch them aboard, they are great. I wouldn't cross an Ocean with one hanging in davits though... But some will argue it's OK. Some RIBs are actually too heavy for most davit systems. I hear that the Aluminum hulled RIBs are great and slightly lighter...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 06:42   #27

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
In Pelagic's post the inflatable is 17ft,the max size outboard for that is 70HP, that will get this one on the plane no problem and carry lots of provisions.
But we're not talking about super yachts which have the ability to carry 17 foot inflatables.
We're talking about the average cruiser who probably has space for a 10 foot tender at most.

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 06:47   #28

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
One other question, seems like the newer soft bottoms offer several options in Al, wood, high pressure inflatable or roll up floors as well as high pressure inflatable keels, all supposed to give performance "similar" to a RIB. Any opinions on these various options?
Well, not that I am aware of. But the new RIB lites are a nice option. some less than 100 lb. Some with folding transoms that make pretty small packages.
Old 22-01-2011, 07:48   #29

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdykes View Post
But we're not talking about super yachts which have the ability to carry 17 foot inflatables.
We're talking about the average cruiser who probably has space for a 10 foot tender at most.
Cheers
Cliff
Again, it depends. I've seen large dinks with fresh water showers and music systems with multiple speakers.

My 8.5 RIB would store under the boom of my club-footed staysail.
Super yachs have a garage in the rear of their boats, some transported their large dinks via containers.
Roy Disney transported his 25 ft dink via his 737.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 07:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Well, not that I am aware of. But the new RIB lites are a nice option. some less than 100 lb. Some with folding transoms that make pretty small packages.
Are you talking about a RIB with a folding transom? If that's the case I can't see that it would make the overall size that much smaller. Maybe give a lower profile for inverted storage on the foredeck but would be just as long and wide.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote