Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2011, 08:28   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Li'l Dink was retired a few weeks ago after her 1 1/2 circumnavigations. She had a soft floor (and very soft tubes!!!!!).

Sea Life's new Li'l Dink is a hard floor, lightweight Fiberglass model AB 9 VL and she is 9' 6" and the 9.9HP makes her go 16 knots !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She's Miss Zipperty!

(Mind you my fat-assed mate was here for 10 days and Li'L Dink nealy died in the butt...)

Its RIB's for me

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:36   #32

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Well, not that I am aware of. But the new RIB lites are a nice option. some less than 100 lb. Some with folding transoms that make pretty small packages.
Rib lites have only one fiberglass bottom of light construction. Heavier RIB's have two layers of heavier constructed fiberglass with a reinforced space between the two.

Cheap and light has its own penalties.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:44   #33

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Ribs and Dinks

If I remember correctly from Anatomy class, the Ribs were above the Dink Logic would say that will always be so.
Clyde
9ft rib ( Carib ) and 15hp is the way to go. More stable re passengers,groceries,gas bottles etc, Better thru light chop, can get on a plane easily with 2 up
Old 22-01-2011, 08:47   #34

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Are you talking about a RIB with a folding transom? If that's the case I can't see that it would make the overall size that much smaller. Maybe give a lower profile for inverted storage on the foredeck but would be just as long and wide.
You're right.

For me, unlike a conventional RIB, I would not hesitate to take advantage of it's deflated size and minimal weight when I went to stow it.

I've had one on my list for over a year now. But since I've been in Indonesia all this time, of course I have held off buying it. So can't claim real experience yet. But I can tell you that I was very impressed with the small package it made when deflated when I saw one another cruiser had.

How many RIBs or non RIBs get deflated. Usually just not worth the hassel, even with an air floor. But this thing has no assembly to do.

I carry 2 dinks on my 36 ft boat. One hard sailing dink and a go fast. So that means I'd better save some footprint. My last go fast had a plastic roll up floor. I thought "Great. No heavy wood sections to battle so I won't mind.... so much.. putting the thing together and taking it down". I was wrong. Still heavy, still a battle, so it stayed inflated. The RIB lite will even be stowable in my cabin when I have to leave the boat long term like it is now. My sailing dink is currently lashed down on the forpeak, hopefully offering protection to my forward hatch while I'm gone. It normally lives on my stern. But I can see both living on the forpeak for long passages.

Even if I'm wrong, I hope I never go back to a non RIB boat.
Old 22-01-2011, 09:00   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
cheap and light may have its penalties, but also does the double hull of the heavier than lead caribe-- i loved mine- but the damn thing wouldnt plane with only me and a 9.8 hp new nissan--lol-- was filled with 800 pounds of water between the hulls.i had 2 do that, so i know isnt a fluke ... i ditched that stuff- traded it in for a soft avon roll up--used--with a flatafloor--i dont like thatpart, but is light and fits under my main boom.
i loved the caribe until i could no longer plane it-- was fun. but the weight was impractical.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:22   #36

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Comparing a RIB to a soft bottom inflatable, the advantages of the RIB are, in general, better handling, higher engine hp capability, dry floor, easier boarding and more secure footing within the boat. The disadvantages are cost, weight and storage. The choice really depends upon your use. I've owned and used both, and find the RIB to be much more capable and secure for use in rough water, long distance runs, heavy loads, speed and comfort. Our current RIB (Apex A-11) is fitted with 15 HP electric-start engine, seating and steering console. The options were per the First Mate, and we love it. It stores and cruises securely on davits and has been used to the max in our cruising along Central America where marinas and docks are rare. I've probably seen 1/20 longer-term cruisers using soft bottom inflatables.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:29   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Try dragging a soft bottomed dinghy onto a beach like this one and the next job will be repairing a puncture or worse.
You mean as opposed to this stuff which is all along Great Slave Lake, where we have used the non-RIB inflatables

Click image for larger version

Name:	slave lake shore.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	23012
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:42   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Great posts everyone. Love the real input that makes sense.

It looks like I can sum it up this way:

If you want fast, more maneuverable but heavier, get a RIB. Just easier to handle, with the exception of weight.

If you are more frugal, don't mind the odd splash of water, have storage issues, get the non-RIB.

I am not convinced of the suitability of one or the other to abrasion issues, having experience with the non-RIB, I have seen them go through hell. Many have a sacrificial rub strip along the keel, and we have added one for extra protection up north.

Someone made the comment that they are easier to carry, and I would second that as two can easily pick one up and move it over obstacles, as long as it is not loaded.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:13   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
don't mind the odd splash of water, .
"Dinghy Wet-Bum" is not just a quick drying bit of tropical fun. Its a damn hassle that means you walk around town with salty undies chafing; you stand at the bar looking like you've just piddled yourself and you wife starts chatting to other men.... even cruisers! When you do decide to go out on the town and put on your last un-moldy long trousers and she puts on her skirt you regret it well before you hit shore.
Your boat papers, your Laptop and your shopping live a soggy life swilling too and fro in the dinks bilges catching spray.

Its not just the odd spalsh. But I've never had one splash since the new dinghy.

I would never, ever, ever go back to a roll-up dink.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:57   #40

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Have had and used both. Also rigid fiberglass dinghies. Dinghies are a PITA, in general. Always getting lost, stolen, breaking down, springing leaks. You seem to spend more time wrestling with them than riding in them.

Current one is a small roll-up I bought on Craigslist (to replace a recently lost one). Engine is a 4hp 2-stroke. Advantages- light, easy to stow, and cheap to replace.

Zipping around in a RIB with a big engine is lots of fun-- if you have power davits and a wealthy boat owner-- as we did back when I crewed on megayachts.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 12:00   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

Having cruised extensively using both soft bottom and RIB dinks, I must agree with MarkJ: RIBs do be better!

Weight issues: While I can sympathize with Zeehag's 800 lbs of water in her Caribe, this does not have to apply to all RIBs. Our 3.5 metre Gemini, alloy hull hypalon RIB has an empty weight of 47 KG... about the same as the 3.8 meter DSB plywood floor inflatable keel model that it replaced. Has about the same internal space as the longer DSB and is a far dryer and faster boat. Both used 15 hp 2-strokes. Ann and I can't even come close to lifting it with the engine on, but use a fender as a roller under the keel when moving it up/down a beach. Bit of a struggle, but we can do it when required. For passages, even short coastal ones, we remove the engine using the main halyard and stow it on a bracket astern. Then hoist the dinghy on board using the spinny halyard, invert it and deflate using an electric pump (best investment ever!). Then lash it down to the deck between the mast and the baby stay. Total time if we are in a hurry is 20 minutes. Davits would be faster and easier, but IMO are a distinct hazard at sea.

We spend over 90% of our time at anchor, don't like anchoring up close and personal with the beach , village or other yachts, so a dinghy that is fast, relatively dry and capacious is of prime importance to us. The aluminum hulled RIB fills that role better than anything else we've seen.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 22-01-2011, 13:24   #42

i have 4 dinghies-- 2 kayaks, one of which is inflatable, 1 roll up and one walker bay 8 ft. i got tied of caribes in mooring.... I have flown across this bay in all kinds of weather from 3 ft chop in winter storms to flat and calm. we have a nice rip of a flow when tides change-- granted noT as bad as some of the cuts and passes in carib--- but i think my rollup will do just fine. is light enough for ME to lift and not have to drag, id portable and stowble so that i can do it myself..... dont need to bother the cruiser next door-- of course that limits my ability to get to know others..LOL..but the wives will appreciate tha ttheir husnand is not being bothered by the solo female over in that boat over there .>LOL......
Old 22-01-2011, 14:41   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
A contrarian view. Comparing a sport boat to an RIB.

* Plane with less HP. False. My neighbor has an RIB and I have a sport boat (solid floor, inflatable keel), and we both have 3.5 Mercs. Not even close; I can plane and he cannot, because he is heavier. Now, there may be times when he has a more pleasant ride, because he semi-planes and a v cuts through chop. But a v-shape does not plane faster. Now, if we both wanted to mount 15 hp motors, I'd be over-powered and he'd be zipping. But that is not what the post compared.

* Storage. You can put it on deck in 20 minutes. So can I, easier. My motor weighs less and so does the boat. I can also have mine below decks in 20 minutes, which I have done for an off-shore gale.

* Weight. My child can hoist it on the davits by herself, and since she considers it her bicycle, I like that. She can go off on her own. The 2 of us can easily carry it over those sharp rocks, when needed.

* Carrying capacity. We seldom carry over 2 people, so no big deal.

Would I use an RIB if cost were no object? I don't think so on this boat. On a larger boat with power davits, sure. But I'm not hauling 250-300 pounds of boat up each time. That's just silly. I would rather, for any money, have a slower boat. Perhaps my bad back colors my judgment, but for those of us that cannot lift great weights, it is the most important factor--far more important than money or speed or wet buts. I'm not made of sugar and won't melt. We have towels. I don't have a new back.

I can see the benefits of an RIB with a big motor,but not for me.
Old 22-01-2011, 14:53   #44

the only thing RIBs have over roll ups is the FUN FACTOR. come on, guys, is all it is-- testosterone and fun factor. lol get real-- there are many ways to describe it-- so many excuses for the behavior--(lol testosterone) FUN FACTOR is the sole reason for ribs over rollups. admit it and be done with this..LOL
Old 22-01-2011, 15:12   #45
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the only thing RIBs have over roll ups is the FUN FACTOR. come on, guys, is all it is-- testosterone and fun factor. lol get real-- there are many ways to describe it-- so many excuses for the behavior--(lol testosterone) FUN FACTOR is the sole reason for ribs over rollups. admit it and be done with this..LOL
I admit it.

My first boat was a beach cat.

My second boat was a faster catamaran (Stiletto 27).

My third boat is also a cat, tamer, but still quite capable of double digits and faster than my tender.

I think I'll go ice climbing tomorrow. It's a testosterone thing.
Sail Delmarva: When the Ice Gets Too Firm for Sailing...