Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 08:50   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Which Outboard

I have a Heavenly Twins with Twin Yanmer engines on board. I want to buy a 10hp Outboard that I can use if there was an Emergencey and both engines failed, unlikely but I would like to have peace of mind and it will also be a back up engine for my Tender.

There is a Sail Drive 9.9 Selva Piranha I like the look off, however it doesn't seem to be a popular engine and parts may be hard to find on an extended trip.

What do you thing would be the best engine with the most available parts worldwide. I'm wondering if there is a bullet proof engine out there.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:56   #2

Re: Which Outboardre

Yamaha is very popular in much of the world.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:23   #3

I was in a similarity situation to you a year or two back,

As far as I know the Selva is the only single cylinder 9.9 high thrust outboard on the market which makes it significantly lighter than the competing 2 cylinder motors (32 kg vs 45-50kg).

Dockhead posted his experiences with a Selva Blackbass (the 8hp version of the Piranha): http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-164642-2.html

He seems at least moderately satisfied with it.....

I was in the same situation as you 18 months ago and the Piranha was on my shortlist, but in the end I went with a 2nd hand high thrust yamaha 9.9 ultra longshaft. Except for the weight I'm pleased with it.

But if I was buying a new outboard I'd probably go for the Selva Piranha
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:33   #4

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munoz View Post
I was in a similarity situation to you a year or two back,

As far as I know the Selva is the only single cylinder 9.9 high thrust outboard on the market which makes it significantly lighter than the competing 2 cylinder motors (32 kg vs 45-50kg).

Dockhead posted his experiences with a Selva Blackbass (the 8hp version of the Piranha): http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-164642-2.html

He seems at least moderately satisfied with it.....

I was in the same situation as you 18 months ago and the Piranha was on my shortlist, but in the end I went with a 2nd hand high thrust yamaha 9.9 ultra longshaft. Except for the weight I'm pleased with it.

But if I was buying a new outboard I'd probably go for the Selva Piranha

I think I'm going to do the same. The Piranha looks like a nice engine, but a quick look online for parts and there is nothing.
Where as the Yamaha has thousand of parts.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 12:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmclaren1 View Post
I think I'm going to do the same. The Piranha looks like a nice engine, but a quick look online for parts and there is nothing.
Where as the Yamaha has thousand of parts.
A 9.9hp is probably a good solution for powering your cat, but I'd be concerned about the weight if you ever plan to use it on your dinghy (which I'm guessing is reasonably small) as 50 kg is a handful ashore and you'd need a outboard crane or similar to lift it on/off the dinghy afloat.

If being able to use it on the dinghy is a requirement then maybe you could consider the Tohatsu Sailpro: http://www.tohatsu.co.uk/tohatsu-mfs6-sailpro.html Easy to get parts for and at 6hp and 26 kg it should be fine on the dinghy, especially if you bring along a (standard) high pitch prop for use on the dinghy.

It's possibly underpowered as an auxiliary for the cat (depending on where you sail, and what your expectations are for an auxiliary.....)
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard