Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 05:11   #1

Boat: Simpson 12
Which engine for my dinghy?

Hi, I am building myself a catamaran tender for our liveaboard 12m catamaran that my family (2 adults, 2 kids) will be living on from early next year (Link to the plans. I'm building the 3.2m).

The designer of the tender says the max power is 15HP. Since 2 stroke engines are pretty much banned in Australia, I am looking at 4 strokes.

Every 4 stroke engine that I have researched (suzuki, yamaha, honda, tohatsu) in the 15HP range is basically a cut down version of the 20HP. This means that the 15HP is the same weight and practically the same price as it's 20HP big sister.

Why wouldn't I get the 20HP engine? Isn't more power always going to be better? Fully loaded with provisions and the whole family we could probably plane back to the mother ship. With 20HP I could drag the kids on a donut and have a passenger watching on.

Why limit myself to 15HP?
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 05:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Which engine for my dinghy?

I didn’t.
Your building one, so it’s up to you to determine what is safe and what isn’t.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:17   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Which engine for my dinghy?

May want to be careful opening the throttle all the way, especially with kids aboard.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:24   #4

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

The advantage of a hard bottom dingy is that you dont need a ot of horsepower for a good speed . I would go with somthing smaller for that boat maybe 6-8 . Also that size of motor can be man handled
Old 24-09-2018, 06:46   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Personally I would see if you could borrow a couple of motors before making your purchase. I think you might be shocked at how easily the hard dink is pushed.

If I was a betting man, I would guess you will find a 9.8Hp more than adequate.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 08:21   #6

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Personally I would see if you could borrow a couple of motors before making your purchase. I think you might be shocked at how easily the hard dink is pushed.

If I was a betting man, I would guess you will find a 9.8Hp more than adequate.
I agree
Old 24-09-2018, 08:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I've seen issues with dingy engines that only one crew member can operate. If only "dad" can mount it on the dingy (if taken off for passage), or start the pull-start, then dad has to do this task. In an emergency, or just convenience for who does things when arriving, sometimes dad is not available. Think about future use.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 08:50   #8

I had the same dilemma for my 11ft dingy. We had a 15 hp Yamaha. The 20hp Suzuki is fuel injected. In fact it’s the only remote steering 20 hp w/o a carburetor. The motor is great very fuel efficient and even has pull start should the battery fail. The only down side it’s only available with a long leg so I needed to add a riser block. Couldn’t be happier
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:14   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Torqeedo? If you’re building in foam and don’t need the “zoom,” it may suffice, as well as being green (no fuel, battery...).
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:41   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I use an electric with a couple lawnmower batteries... It's nice because it is light and easy to handle. It always starts as long as the battery is charged, that's why I have two batteries. I have a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off. I don't have any gasoline onboard... just diesel.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:19   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I agree

There is also the element of a short leg reducing weight and the beauty of a properly pitched prop. If said dink is always going to be cargo and passengers, you don't want speed. You want thrust. You figure out what HP from there. We have a 50 pound Portabote that goes 4 knots with a Honda 2.3 HP air cooled engine that my compact wife can one-arm onto the transom. That suits us as we are never in that much of a hurry with jerry cans, groceries and other shoreside stuff. Your mileage, pun aside, may vary, but 15 HP is a lot of power for a hard dink.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 11:40   #12

Boat: Catalac 12 M

I had a 10 foot hard dingy and a 2 cycle 15 hp. I pulled the kids many hours behind the boat until they got into there early teens.
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 11:55   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Thats a small dingy for 4 people. A rib with large tubes will have 3x the capacity per ft and not take waves over the bow. I did see an inflatable cat tender 12', 18" tubes, trampoline. and sailing rig. Looked good to me.
A daily problem is trying to open a spot at the dingy dock with 2 hulls. Stepping onboard by the bow with so little buoyancy.
I used to row my 12' hobie cat to shore daily, thinking it was faster than a mono hard dingy but couldn't keep up with the girl on the mooring next to me in her 8' ply tender.
More relevant to your question, an electric trolling motor will push you along nicely. As you won't plane, small and light is best.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 12:36   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

His point is I believe that using the Suzuki as an example, the 9.9, 15 and 20 HP are all the same motor and all weigh 99 lbs.
So yes you may can get by with a 9.9, but why not have twice the HP for exactly the same weight?
I don’t understand why people keep saying, oh no, it might be unsafe at full throttle.
I can absolutely tell you that if I were to run my Wife’s car at full throttle it would be unsafe as it would be approaching 200 MPH.
However we don’t, we enjoy the acceleration at times, but have enough sense to not run wide open.
Why can’t people accept the same for a dinghy?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 15:57   #15

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

For a Dinghy I 'd put more focus on weight than horsepower. Are you you going to tow the dinghy when underway with the mother ship, and mount the motor on the rail of your mother ship. In a mooring field you don't want to be throwing up a wake so speed is not necessarily a desirable thing. We have a 10 ft hard bottom inflatable with the Honda 2.3 weights 29 lbs. I had a Mercury 5 hp that I gave to my son that weighed easily twice as much. Much happier with the 2.3 hp
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, engine