Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 18:06   #31

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: What's the best airdeck inflatable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you are going to live with an airfloor, go with a 10 footer. a 9 footer can seem pretty small sometimes...
This one, I have been pondering. For 90% + of the time, it will be for me + wifey + yorkies. Only one time in 6 years, I have to make two trips each way for four adults and one child on the Zodiac. Not a huge deal, but, nonetheless, a situation where I wished for a larger boat. (Again, I'm not cruisng ful time.)

Up for consideration is the LSI-290. 8" increase inside length and 2" inside beam, would be significant without much added weight or stowage capacity. I currently have a 4hp 2-stroke, that is. most importantly, Paid For. I just can't see replacing the motor for the sake of a larger inflatable . . . just because. The 4 Hp will have better performance on the 260 vs the 290.

This one isn't about the extra expense for the boat, but about a possible expense for a larger engine. My wallet tells me to stay put with the 4 hp 2-stroke. My emotions tell me to put the 2-stoke on the larger boat and see what happens.
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 18:17   #32

Boat: too many
Re: What's the Best Airdeck Inflatable?

If you want an air floor than can plane with a 3 hp, only one choice, a minimum wetted surface, air entrapment hull, catamaran dinghy. I know most are high performance, racing dinghys but know of one designed to be tenders.

HOME - Takacat.com

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35   #33

I was going to throw Avon into the mix, but they must be the best kept secret on the Internet. I cannot find a PDF like I have for other vendors.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
If you want an air floor than can plane with a 3 hp, only one choice, a minimum wetted surface, air entrapment hull, catamaran dinghy. I know most are high performance, racing dinghys but know of one designed to be tenders.

HOME - Takacat.com

This looks like a very interesting alternative. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that owns/uses these boats. I think the closed bow design of the more traditional inflatables is one of their shortcomings.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windseeker View Post
This one, I have been pondering. For 90% + of the time, it will be for me + wifey + yorkies. Only one time in 6 years, I have to make two trips each way for four adults and one child on the Zodiac. Not a huge deal, but, nonetheless, a situation where I wished for a larger boat. (Again, I'm not cruisng ful time.)

Up for consideration is the LSI-290. 8" increase inside length and 2" inside beam, would be significant without much added weight or stowage capacity. I currently have a 4hp 2-stroke, that is. most importantly, Paid For. I just can't see replacing the motor for the sake of a larger inflatable . . . just because. The 4 Hp will have better performance on the 260 vs the 290.

This one isn't about the extra expense for the boat, but about a possible expense for a larger engine. My wallet tells me to stay put with the 4 hp 2-stroke. My emotions tell me to put the 2-stoke on the larger boat and see what happens.
The 4 hp will push the 10 as well as the 9ft. You are not going to plane in either case. A 4 hp outboard will push a 22-23 ft sailboat to hull speed in flat water!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39   #36

We have a 10'-2" Zodiac air floor on our C34. One of the best purchases we have made. Replaced an old WM 8'-4" plywood floor. It had a 1.2 hp egg beater engine.

The day we bought our new dinghy, we motored over to a local restaurant and ran into a cruiser who just had purchased the same boat. He taught us a great trick: buy some outdoor carpeting and cut it carefully to fit the entire floor with holes for the valves. Keeps the dirt off the air floor and easier on your feet. We bought some light blue, doesn't show dirt but doesn't trap heat either. Cut it wide enough so that it fits under the tubes and stays stable.

You'll be unhappy with a 9 footer. It's very small compared to the 10'-2".

We run a 9.9 hp 2 stroke 1990 Evinrude we bought at a swap meet, planes with three adults.

It's over 10 years old, Hypalon, in great condition, no issues at all.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
This looks like a very interesting alternative. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that owns/uses these boats. I think the closed bow design of the more traditional inflatables is one of their shortcomings.

FWIW...
It will be my next tender. This is their smallest offering at around 60 lbs, 9 1/2' and 10 1/2' (two models). Largest outboard is 8 hp, I think in the video they have a 5 hp. Most bang per hp IMHO.

I like the ease of entry from the water and easy to row.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23   #38

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

FWIW...
While I can't speak to that boat I have been using Sea Eagle inflatables for some time. I first bought a 330 used for $US100 and was so impressed I bought one of the FoldCats new. Later I bought a Paddle Ski, and after that the SUP. Kinda like potato chips, you can never stop at just one.

The 330 is strictly a one person kayak with no option for a motor, but it is small enough to put in a big back pack to hike to water ways you can not drive to.

The FoldCat is a true catamaran, weighs aroub 80 pounds, has two seats that rotate 360 degrees (great for fishing or in my case photography) and can be rowed, sailed, or motor powered (I use an electric cuz for photography noise is a no no) with a weight limit, over 600 pounds.

The paddle ski is kinda like a combination kayak and catamaran with seats for two and again a 600 pound weight limit. I use it kayaking in NW Florida streams that get quite narrow, shallow, and have lots of trees and rocks that restrict navigation unless you pull the boat over them. It will also take an outboard. Think it weighs 40 pounds or so and is a little too big to pack, but portage is easy. Kinda like a FoldCat on a diet.

The SUP is just that, weighs less than 25 pounds, small and unlike lots of SUPs has an inflatable seat so you can Stand Up Paddle or sit down and paddle. It is not for everyone but I love to stand on it and paddle over the crystal clear spring fed waters and look down at the fish. My plans are to take it to the Bahamas next time around.

Both the FoldCat and the Paddle Ski have suffered great abuse hitting and being pulled over rocks, trees, berms, and anything else around. The Paddle Ski is rated for Class 3 rapids (Sea Eagle makes some inflatables rated for Class 4).

If you have not guessed it by now I am a fanboy.

Here is the link

Inflatable Boats, Inflatable Kayaks and Inflatable Boat Accessories from SeaEagle.com
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:27   #39

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
It will be my next tender. This is their smallest offering at around 60 lbs, 9 1/2' and 10 1/2' (two models). Largest outboard is 8 hp, I think in the video they have a 5 hp. Most bang per hp IMHO.

I like the ease of entry from the water and easy to row.
Bob--

Are these boats available in the USA?

Reboarding our 3.4 is a real pain in the neck. We use a rope ladder over the transome but it is problemsome. (On the other hand, however, you'd be amazed at how quickly a 12 YO can scamper up that ladder when she's approached by a Manatee (looking for a handout) while swimming with her mom in the anchorage in Roosevelt Channel!)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28   #40

This is what the Takacat is derived from. I have no need for 70 mph in an inflatable, but shows how an air entrapment hull is very efficient.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:02   #41

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windseeker View Post
I get the hard bottom concept, and if I was crusing, it would be my only choice .....
I've decided against the davits for now, so, that leaves me with some sort of stowable inflatable.

The airfloor seems to be a fair compromise for space, convenience and performance.

It seems that the Hypalon air floor is the ONLY option for an airdeck inflatable.
I like your thinking. It seems like many people just think davits are a must. And I see some dinks slung up amost head high on davits.

You might consider the Achilles RIB lite with the folding transom. I have one and it's a real space saver. Tiny when it's stowed and huge when it's inflated. Minggat is only 36' and I carry 2 dinks very comfortably, with options on how I want to carry them. Both on deck for long passages or the Walker Bay suspended by my stern arch with the boarding ladder doubling as davits. My hard/sailing dingy and my Achilles nest perfectly. I sent my wife a photo of the two of them nested and she thought the deflated tubes of the Achilles was some canvas draped over the WB.
Old 11-06-2012, 17:02   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
My Mercury inflatable has the hypolon floor and it is coming apart at the seems.
Might re-check this. My understanding is that they are all PVC. And, there's only a 1 year warranty on the airdeck. Our Mercury dinghy is Hypalon, and the airdeck is PVC.

CSYMAN, I'm with you. Have to say, once I called up Mercury and griped, things worked out quickly and well. But it took 2 months to get a new airdeck. Be aware that many of their dealers aren't doing well financially, and if they are on credit hold, Mercury will hold up even warranty (free) parts! May have been part of your problem.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57   #43

In the end, I did buy the Achilles, but I thought I would share a couple of amusing stories along the way.

I did call my local West Marine store and was very specific about requesting information on the Avon Hypalon 8-9 foot inflatable floor models. The Salesman listened to my needs and then tried to talk me out of a Hypalon and into a West Marine Zodiac PVC model. In regards to Hypalon, “I did not need it” he exclaimed since we are at 39 degrees latitude and not in the Tropics. “The PVC will be just fine for this climate,” he added. He further went on to explain how the new boats are electronically welded and not glued and the boats are on sale. It seems like the biggest complaint I heard from you guys was the seams coming apart, so it's possible that the WM PVC boat is better than past models. Instead I went for all the other benefits Hypalon has to offer. Since WM was not interested in promoting the Avalon, I bought the Achilles from Defender.

Over a year ago, I helped one of my wife's dear friends redo her kitchen floors. She gave me a very generous Visa Gift Card as a “Thank You”. I used this card towards my purchase. I later called her up and told her. “I finally used that Gift Card you gave me.” “Oh, yeah?” she replied. “I bought myself an inflatable.” “Oh?” She has no idea what I am talking about. “Yes, every time I blow it up and use it, I'll be thinking of you.” I respond. Too bad I was on the phone and not in person. I would have liked to seen the perplexed expression on the face of this proper Southern Baptist Woman as I try to get her goat. After a moment of silence, I add, “It's a boat. An inflatable dinghy for the sailboat to replace the old one.” “Oh . ., hey that's great. Enjoy it. You deserve it.”

So far, so good. I like the boat. It fits in the space inside the boat. I'm not real pleased with the inflation system that came with it. I'll blog that later when I get the chance.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:16   #44

Yeah, I think the Achilles fly under the radar alot and are pretty good trouble free boats. at least the older ones..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:20   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ross 930

Hi Guys,

Brendon here from New Zealand, we have a great airdeck inflatable cat that has been designed locally. They track well beacuse they are a cat, easy to row, and really stable for getting on and off for ship to shore duties. They are becoming the prefered choice for cruisers down this way. The brand is called Takacat they do a few different sizes, check it out.

Tags
inflatable