Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: What Type of Dinghy / Tender do you use?
Rigid Wood 18 5.16%
Rigid Plastic (Fibreglass, PVC, etc) 82 23.50%
Inflatable 105 30.09%
Rigid Inflatable (RIB) 139 39.83%
Other ... 19 5.44%
Rowed 58 16.62%
Sailed 26 7.45%
Outboard Powered 124 35.53%
Combination powered (specify in text) 15 4.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-07-2009, 18:22   #106

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
I have an old Avon 9 ft soft bottom dinghy...Leaks. I put tire valve stems and valves in over the factory valves. then Siliconed them in. on the way to the boat we stop for a little air to firm things up, and it usually stays firm for a week or two. It has a transum frame that slides in to hold an outboard, but rowing is my destiny... I purchased two small outboards on Ebay but they didn't run. I'm sick of getting ripped off. So I'm rowing this year. I'm moored close to shore anyway.

avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 23:01   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Walker Bay with external flotation and RIB.

The Walker Bay is my sailing toy, but I have an engine for it as well.

The RIB will be replacing the inflatable that I have already sold.

I like have 2 dinks, and each one has it's own puropose and each can of course do cross over jobs. One important thing to me is the ability of a dink to act as tug.

I carry both on a 36 ft sloop. Sailing dink is usually carried on the stern, My boarding ladder double as davit and stern arch does the lifting.

Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 22:03   #108

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
Aqua Pro 1101 11' RIB with aluminum hull. Yamaha 25 stroke. Very light weight boat that can plane out lots of passengers. Top speed around 24 knots with two persons. Cruise is 14 knots with throttle barely above "start" position.

Design rides with bow down and thus limits top speed. Regardless of engine trim bow rides down at higher speeds... prefer designs that keep bow up higher to minimize spray. Pretty wet ride due to bow down trim.
David Kane
Atlantic42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:08   #109

Boat: nebe cape 28
10 ft porta boat here used to have an 8 foot porta boat. needed more room both are great tenders
lived on my pearson 35 for 7 yrs,I now have a nebe cape 28,great pocket cruiser. Can be seen on youtube.
windshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:26   #110

We currently have a 3.41 Avon with a 25 Yamaha. We'll probably bump up to a 4.3 Aqua pro or something similar. I figure it's our truck, tow vehicle, mini van......
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 21:27   #111

Location: Fox Valley, Saskatchewan, Delta, BC and Mazatlan, Mexico
Boat: '79 Cherubini Hunter 37 - Hearts Content
Send a message via Skype™ to SEAdams
My wife and I found the NiccollsLite NN10 nesting dinghy on the internet in early 2008. While looking for a cruising sailboat later in April '08 we visited Barry Niccolls at his shop in Delta, BC and decided to buy one as it was the ideal size to mount forward of the mast on the 37ft cutter we were searching for. We purchased the 37ft this Feb in Mexico and ordered the dinghy the same week.

The NN10 is 10'2" overall when the two pieces are joined. The fore and aft section float independently so they can be put overboard one piece at a time before getting into the aft section and then connecting the bow. Max capacity is 600lbs and the nested dimensions are 5'8" long, 53" wide, 20" high and total weight assembled is advertised as 95lbs (aft 58lbs, bow 37lbs; haven't weighed ours yet

The aluminum mast is in 3 sections totalling 16.5ft. The boom is the longest for stowing at 84". With main and jib it balances and sails quite smartly. It rows and tows easily and can be powered by a 2-3hp OB.

The designer/builder, Barry Niccolls, is retiring but there is good news for anyone looking for a great dinghy. We are so impressed that we just bought the business and have started production of the NN10-III. As a previous poster asked, please forgive me for sounding like an advert.
SEAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 16:22   #112

Boat: Trismus 37
Can you give us some more info re the NN10-III , perhaps you could PM me.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 17:33   #113

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the Caribbean.
Boat: Contest 48
We bought an 11' AquaPro with a 15 hp Honda about 8 years ago. I've never been very happy with it. The Avon that it replaced would hold air for weeks at a time but the AquaPro needs pumping up every few days. Also, it gets 'squirrelly' when planing at high speeds - makes it difficult to control. When we're underway, it lives on our davits and weighing in at 220 for both the dink and outboard makes it easy to raise and lower. The Honda outboard has been outstanding, starting easily and requiring zero repairs. When we're cruising, we use our dinghy pretty hard.

I recently looked into the Portland Pudgy Portland Pudgy multifunction dinghy -- the fun boat that could save your life! as it has many unique features, the most impressive of which IMO is that fact that it's US Coast Guard-certified as a life raft. The reason I lost interest in it is the maximum horsepower it's capable of carrying is four. It's not that I'm a speed demon but if I ever need to use my dinghy as a yaw boat, four horsepower isn't going to cut it. Other than that, though, I thought it was worth some serious consideration.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Here's one most of may have (rightfully) overlooked.
Sealegs Amphibian Inflatable:
Sealegs Patented Amphibious Technology
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaLegs.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	13688  
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:31   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
We have inflatable, but I would prefer a hard, sailing / rowing one. The inflatable as a back up fine, but too easy to puncture.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:40   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Arghh, and I do dig ribs - but why are they so freaking heavy?

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 20:21   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41 Ohana
I made some design input to wavedancer designs. I wanted a 4 meter long nesting dinghy that would row, sail and plane. It also has a two piece mast that will convert into volleyball net posts. He liked my ideas and is designing one to put in his stock designs. In the next few weeks he will send me plans so that I can build a 36" mock up out of cardboard and then I'll build the full stitch and glue boat. Here is a link to the desingers home page Wave Dancer Yacht Design - wholesale plan sales and here is a link to his ideas so far. Picasa Web Albums - mckenzie.charlie - Drop Box
Fair Winds,

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09   #118

Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Sorry I cant remember where I put it but we expalined why we use an inflatable dinghy with airfloor towed behind at all times. We tow the dinghy as we regard it as our first port of call in an emergency.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56   #119

Boat: 1969 ELK,30 ft.Cutter,Keshali
I made a small bug nose[bolger design,stich and glue,3 pieces of marine ply]rowing dingy-and have towed it . I keep it on a bridle and its painter is [polypropoline] as it floats,away from props. It follows well even in some heavy weather- I do bring it aboard off shore but most of the time it~ simply follows me wherever I go.
Capt. Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28   #120

Boat: Westsail 28
8 foot porta-bote and it rows very well. I blow past people rowing those rubber dinghies as if they were standing still. Almost knocked em down with my wake! ;-). Also I drag mine up concrete ramps, and slide into barnacles with no worries.

I addressed the ugliness factor by painting the inside with bright blue paint and will paint the hull with images of peace signs, fishes and birds etc.

virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: