Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What Type of Dinghy / Tender do you use?
Rigid Wood 18 5.14%
Rigid Plastic (Fibreglass, PVC, etc) 82 23.43%
Inflatable 106 30.29%
Rigid Inflatable (RIB) 139 39.71%
Other ... 19 5.43%
Rowed 58 16.57%
Sailed 26 7.43%
Outboard Powered 125 35.71%
Combination powered (specify in text) 15 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 04:59   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I believe all of the modern aluminum fishing boats have integral floatation - certainly the Lund’s (a favourite brand around here) do (upright & level floatation).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 14:35   #77

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
I had a 11' Caribe with a glass window in the hull. It was great being able to see the anchor set when I was in a rush or didn't want to get wet. Only issue was that it was a little too heavy stowing it on the bow every time we went to see. We could get it on a plane with 4 people and out Honda 15hp.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 21:17   #78

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
6' homemade plywood/mat glass peanut dink w/oars. she aint the pertiest, but very light, and stowable on deck without alot of effort. though tow-along is easy enough as she weighs in somewhere around 50lbs and doesn't really drag all that bad. (unless i'm in it!)
Old 28-08-2007, 15:27   #79

Boat: Moody 46- NALANI
The one I got is a "lite" version and sits very well hung from the arch with the motor mounted. ( about 250 lbs. all told).[/quote]

hi there. you have exactly like i want. can you tell me what the "lite" version is? What brand do you prefer? we are looking at the west marine/zodiac. what do you think is the difference between zodiac and avon?
nalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 15:39   #80

Boat: Moody 46- NALANI
outfitting

hi there. would really like to pick your brain. we have a 2000 46' moody (with a dog - in fla!) and are planning on starting our cruising next year. We are in the processing of outfitting the boat - just purchased it and we need to update/replace certain items.

would love to know what works and does not work on your moody. for instance we have had problems with our refrigeration staying cold. What do you have for gps/chartplotter?

thanks for your advice.
S/V Nalani
nalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:36   #81

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
So how's the porta-bote working out? I'm thinking of getting one for a 38' cat.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35   #82

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I too am curious about the porta-botes. The literature is very convincing, and the concept seems perfect, but I have yet to see a report about them anywhere. Perhaps because they don't advertise in the glossy cruising mags there are no published reviews?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 17:10   #83

You can get some information and comments on the Porta-Bote from a thread here on the Cruisers Forum at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/port-bote-6317.html.

It's certainly not a magic bullet for the dinghy solution, but it works for some of us.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:59   #84

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ludders 36
For the past 4 years we have used our plywood floor/plywood transom Achilles inflatable with a 3.5 hp Nissan outboard. Both have been rugged and reliable.
Recently we have started to feel two shortcomings in this combination more and more.
First, going against the chop can be a wet ride.
Second, with the 3.5 hp outboard she does not plane. No big deal most of the time, but sometimes you just need to get where you are going faster (read cold wet day).
Since we stop going any faster at about 2/3 throttle (the prop seems to slip in the water much beyond this - cavitation??) I wonder if a different prop might help.
Hate to add the extra lbs of a RIB. Wonder if there is any advantage to a different inflatable as far as a less wet ride???
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 14:16   #85

We have a 3.5 Tohatsu 4 stroke on a Zodiac Zoom 260 inflatable with plywood floor and transom. With just me on board it jumps up on plane instantly, but with two people, nada.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 11:11   #86

My past dinghy:

WM cheapo (cheap being $2K at WM new, I'm sure) and a 3.5 2 stroke johnson outboard.

My current dingh(ies):

- Pretty hypalon avon model, with a 5hp sears 4 stroke outboard.
- El Toro sail dinghy.

I do a lot of sailing on the El Toro, but it doesn't stow very well on the big boat, hence the inflattable. My neighbors have this little guy, and it sails / rows / powers nicely. If it could fit on my boat, I'll get one. Hits two birds with one stone when it comes to a life raft.

Portland Pudgy multifunction dinghy--the fun boat that could save your life!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06   #87

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
10' Avon HP Inflatable (Hypalon) w/ a Honda 2HP 4-stroke. It's slow but easy to deploy from the davit...which is nice to have since most of our cruising at the moment is limited to the bay.

I was lucky to pick the boat & motor up from a friend of a friend for only $1000, you gota love a great deal. Boat & motor were hardly used

Previously we had a 8' Zodiac with wood slat roll up floor, hated it! Not to mention it only lasted 5 years before the leaks were so bad I gave it to a inflatable repair shop.
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:37   #88

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Water tender 9.4 it rows well and motors at a reasonable speed with a 2 hp honda 4 stroke both are light. I carry the O/B in the cockpit and the W.T. on the swim platform of my Camano. The water tender has held up well even though used as a fender a couple of times and unlikely to be stolen! I am happy with both
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 14:42   #89

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I've been through quite a few dinghies in my 14 years of cruising. I would NEVER own another de-flatable. I just got sick of pumping, patching and bailing. Please don't bore me with, "But mine doesn't leak".....it will. I've spent way too much $ on those things.

Anyway, we love our 9' Livingston multi-hull dinghy. It sits on deck well, it handles a lot of weight (for provisioning), it moves through the water quickly with a little 2hp outboard and our 8hp will put it on plane (w/2 people and dive gear) and it will do 20kts easily. Livingston Boats - Model 9

I do a lot of diving. It will handle my wife and I, all our dive gear and take us to our favorite dive spot. We have a boarding ladder that I designed especially for the Livingston (for my wife). We can board right over the side of the boat easily and safely. It also beaches nicely and you can get out without getting swamped. When you have guests, they feel quite comfrotable and there is no concern of dumping the dink over when they board.

ONLY down-side.....at 140#, we have to winch it aboard with a hallyard. It's not hard after a few times.

I will never use any other dinghy.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 15:48   #90
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Have 9' fiberglass sail.row with foam cored glass liner. Bought hull from friend for $40. built liner out of foam sheets, then added pour in foam ,then glassed. Oars are made of chain link fence toprail with plywood paddle inserts. Oarlocks stainless plate bent in u shape with 1/2" bolts for pivot. Fiberglass dagger, and rudder, mast is 2" aluminum tube with gaff and boom made of old boat hook tubing. Made sails out of old main sail. got jib and gaff top main out of 1 sail. Is a hoot to sail, very fast with large area sails. Fast rowing as oars are 8' long and propel boat quickly. Total investment under $100 and quite a bit of time.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote