Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 14:10   #61

Re: What Actually Happens If You Oversize The Dinghy Outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
KISS, you may need to rethink your dinghy storage idea (in a cockpit locker on its side). Simply not practical, or even do-able in any ~30 foot boat I've ever seen... and not in many 50 foot boats... with an 8 foot hard dinghy.

Jim
It's only 24" wide at the widest point (on its side), and 8'2" long. It'll depend on the design I go with, but I don't imagine the width would be a problem, and isn't an aft cockpit typically about 1/3rd LOA (so about 10' on a 30'er), from companionway to stern? As long as the space is there, I can custom design the locker shape.

I know it's an unusual set-up, but I really don't like the idea of a dinghy lashed on deck in rough weather. If it proved impossible to store it in a locker, I might have to settle for a roll-up or a smaller, custom built plywood dink (or maybe the Porta Bote).

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 14:38   #62

For what it is worth,one of the best combinations I have had is a 2.4mtr rigid bottom (grp)inflatable with a 3hp Yamaha.It wasn't too big,easily handled,would carry 4 people ok and when by yourself it would get on the plane.Someone once told me if you buy a car,buy a Toyota.A laptop,buy a Toshiba.Buy a powertool,buy a Makita.Buy and outboard,buy a Yamaha.Reliability is the key to a peaceful life.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 15:44   #63

Boat: Spirited 380

We have a WB 8 with the side tubes. Its correct that the tubes increase the capacity to 4hp. However, a conventional 4hp four stroke is too heavy for this boat (we tried it - the motor was just too heavy, the other responses about digging in are spot on). We found that the ideal motor is an air cooled 2.3hp Honda. The Honda air cooled 4 stroke (2.3hp) is the lightest 4 stroke you can buy. It is lighter than most 2 strokes and weighs less than 13 kgs. An added bonus, because it is air cooled, doesn't need flushing.

Good luck with it KISS
AussieAmigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 17:03   #64

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Made a Danny Greene Chameleon nesting dinghy. 10ft 4. It rows, sails and can take a 4hp motor although we use a 6hp Tohatsu. These have been around for about 30 years and are good looking seaworthy boats not ugly Walker bay types. Stows at just over 4ft. can recommend one. Build time about 120 hours.Please check these out there needs to be more of these !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 17:32   #65

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
I use my WB pretty hard, I've had it in some fairly heavy going, 2 guys and gear in 4-5 foot fresh water seas and 20-25 knots winds no problem. The wind was a bigger problem than the waves due to my propulsion options (oars or cat rigged sail).

They are surprisingly stable little craft.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I so disagree, stable in 4-5 foot seas and 25 knots? Yours must of been very different from the one I've had. I have filled mine to the brim. They row ok, and are fairly tuff, but that where it stops.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 17:50   #66

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Really Dale, it was fine there was me and another dude and our camping gear for the weekend.

We came out of a deep cove on a beam reach out into it with the sail scandalised. We then turned down wind with it, ran about a mile in the open stuff before gybing in behind an island for shelter. We had the dagger board down the whole time, not tubes, just the buoyancy bladder.

Terrible weather helm but she sat well in the water.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 18:53   #67
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

4hp over powered? Uh, OK sure. For less than a 20lb difference between a 2.5hp and 4hp?
A WB unsafe? Maybe some of us have never been to a crowded dingy dock and seen some of the things that people use for dinghies.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 18:58   #68

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
Change Can to "Will damage the transom", I have seen it happen and it is an extremely difficult repair job
Yes, very hard to repair the rotomolded plastic. I put an expanded aluminum plate over it (I had a 10' with some original aluminum reinforcement). Ultimately sold it to someone who only wanted it for rowing and sailing (with full disclosure of course).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 19:32   #69

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

The more common solution to dinghy storage is a set of davits off the stern which makes sense because you are going to want the cockpit storage for other stuff.

I bought a WB 8 last fall and I look forward to trying her out as a rowing dink. I'm torn between buying a Honda 2.3 or sailing kit, both about the same money.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 00:59   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
The more common solution to dinghy storage is a set of davits off the stern which makes sense because you are going to want the cockpit storage for other stuff.
That kind of weight above the stern is going to be a problem in a 30'er, no?

...already planning to have a windvane and some solar up there.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 01:56   #71

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
That kind of weight above the stern is going to be a problem in a 30'er, no?

...already planning to have a windvane and some solar up there.
And with this revelation, KISS, you might begin to understand the popularity of inflatable dinghies in smaller (and larger for that matter) cruising vessels.

There is a very good reason that the vast majority of serious cruisers use inflatables in one form or another for their tenders...

Jim
Old 22-04-2016, 08:05   #72

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

An AB 8'6" inflatable weighs 125 lbs. Davits probably come in at 100 lbs or less. A WB 8 weighs 72 lbs. A small o/b runs 35 lbs. The impact of a dinghy, davits and motor mounted on the stern is more or less equivalent to a large male crew member. It's not likely to have any major effect on a boat's settling into the water. Secondly, this extra weight on the stern is usually offset by anchor chain and anchor on the bow.

My boat is 30 (unusual) feet and displaces 10,500 lbs. Actually probably more with the extra junk on board. I don't anticipate any trouble whatsoever with the dinghy slung in davits.

Finally, the davits provide a nice platform on which to mount solar panels, adding a few more pounds.

If I were going back to the Caribbean islands again, I'd be looking for a 10 ft inflatable with a 6 horse (minimum), 10 preferred. But I'm intending to stay in fresh water and closer to shore. Your equipment choices tend to be dictated by where you plan on going.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:16   #73

Boat: Scout 30

Every boat is a collection of compromises & dinghies are no exception. While a lot of cruisers use inflatables I'm not sure there are any statistics indicating it's a "vast" majority or a majority at all. We've got both & I prefer our Bauer 10 because it rows & sails very well while the Admiral prefers the Avon because it's unsinkable. Our 2hp Honda pushes both dinghies with no problem.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:21   #74

Boat: Coast 30

Martkimwat....The last line in your post.... so I'm sure a 4hp at half throttle will be fine even on the Walker Bay 8 without the tubes......is definitely contrary to manufacturers recommendations.

A walker bay rowed by one person under 200 Lbs will try to plane between oar strokes.

Once loaded with passengers it becomes a displacement vessel. We all know that pushing with power past the Reynolds number/hull speed causes a hull to bury. The higher 4 HP rating is predicated on having the additional buoyancy of the RIV tube to overcome this.

I carry an Anchor + chain, and Rhode in a bucket in the bow. plus the weight of my partner, to counter act my weight + the feather weight 2 HP British seagull out board weighs which 28 Lbs. To make it run as level as possible. Yes... like that it has low free-board and travels at about 3 knots. It handles the wake waves of drunken power boat owners on full bore who will not slow down.

Relying on not accidentally opening up a throttle past half way does not seem much of a safety measure?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:31   #75

Boat: Scout 30

Coastalexplorer makes a very important point. Always carry an anchor & rode on your dinghy, especially if it's an inflatable. Don't count on being able to row an inflatable into a strong headwind. More than one Cruiser has been blown out to sea when their motor quit.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard, size