Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 08:05   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: What Actually Happens If You Oversize The Dinghy Outboard?

If you like plastic boats I recommend the Portland Pudgy. It will do everything better & can double as a life boat although it is pricey & hard to find used. Personally I'd look for a used fiberglass dinghy like a Trinka, Bauer, Dyer or a Fatty Knees.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:26   #32

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I think your concern is groundless. There is just not that much difference. You might find the 4 performs slightly better at less than full throttle but having power in reserve is always a good thing. If you were thinking about a 9.9 that would be a very different thing.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:34   #33

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

3.5 to 4 hp wouldn't bee real bad. You'd have to put some ballast in the bow, as when you got out the stern would dip pretty low. they make a life preserver for the walker bay. don't know what good it wold do under way but it would keep it from sinking all the way. with too heavy a motor on the back if a blow of 30 or more knots came up at anchor it might get capsized, with floats you wouldn't it might not, but still take on water, necessitating the need to service the engine for salt water emerssion. Plus all the other aforementioned disadvantages.

maybe sail the dink and get a motor for the bigger boat....mother ship....
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:37   #34

Nothing will happen. Unless that 4 horse get's away from you.... but if you wear an automatic PFD, body armor and a helmet, you'll probably be OK.

as long as it isn't much heavier than the 2hp....
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 08:52   #35

Within a period of nine years in Key West, I have rescued two captains that sunk their plastic tub within the mooring area at Garrison Bight Mooring Field. Assisted by towing at least another dozen under the Fleming Bridge where their 4 hrs. was not powerful enough to go under the bridge at tide change. If your going to be at a pier 99% of the time or stuck on your anchored boat until the waves go down, you need to buy a real boat. No offense I started out small 50 years ago. My 12' Boston Whaler hit a 2' wave bow on and swamped it the whole boat with one wave. I was in Kalamazoo River at Saugatuck Michigan. I've had the folding inflatable, inflatable with a rib floor 8 hrs. Mercury motor from West Marine (lasted a year), Zodiac rib with inflatable tubes built in 50hrs. jet boat (this was best dinghy until motor seals would not hold out the water), and now an AB rib inflatable with a 40 hrs. Yamaha. I know you have to tow it which I did from Lake Michigan to Florida, no problem. In Naples we built an arch with davits that would lift it.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 09:18   #36

I actually had a 8' Walker Bay with the flotation collar and initially had a 4 HP 4 stroke on it. I made the mistake and went full throttle often and the transom was not only pushed down into the water too much but eventually the transom developed two large tears. I then got a 2 HP twostroke and it was not a problem anymore. Speed was more or less the same in flat water.
The 4 stroke was much heavier but the torque was what caused the damage.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 09:23   #37

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
...may be a stupid question, but bear with me.

I'm thinking about a Walker Bay 8' rigid dinghy. It calls for a 2HP. I'd prefer a 4HP, because that could double nicely as an auxiliary engine for the mothership... (snip)
What's the mother ship?

As others have already said, a 4hp on the WB shouldn't be a big deal, as long as it's not too heavy. I'd recommend sticking with a 2 stroke in that regard, and they're pretty common on Craig's List.

But using a 4 horse on the mother ship? That might be a bit small - what's the weight of the sailboat?
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:02   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
...may be a stupid question, but bear with me.

I'm thinking about a Walker Bay 8' rigid dinghy. It calls for a 2HP. I'd prefer a 4HP, because that could double nicely as an auxiliary engine for the mothership, to get in and out of tight harbors. The weight difference between the two is negligible (some of the 4HP are actually lighter than some of the 2HP). So that can't be the problem. What happens if the dinghy is overpowered? Do I just waste gas (no biggee), or something more serious?

Thanks
2HP to 4HP, have at it that is sane.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:11   #39

This is the most amazing nonsense I've come across in a long while.
An 8ft dinghy isn't safe anywhere other than on a model boat pond in the local park.
Been there done it.
And if the OP understands so little that he has to ask this question perhaps he should stay on the beach.

Is this a serious forum or not?
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:16   #40

No Problem. Use it with care.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:29   #41

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
An 8ft dinghy isn't safe anywhere other than on a model boat pond in the local park.
Been there done it.
And if the OP understands so little that he has to ask this question perhaps he should stay on the beach.

I get where you're coming from. We went with a Bauer 10 & an 11' Avon. However, the Portland Pudgy is 7'7" & appears to be quite safe & I believe the Pardeys Fatty Knees was 8' long.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:33   #42

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Quote:
Been there done it.

I use my WB pretty hard, I've had it in some fairly heavy going, 2 guys and gear in 4-5 foot fresh water seas and 20-25 knots winds no problem. The wind was a bigger problem than the waves due to my propulsion options (oars or cat rigged sail).

They are surprisingly stable little craft.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:17   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I think your concern is groundless. There is just not that much difference. You might find the 4 performs slightly better at less than full throttle but having power in reserve is always a good thing. If you were thinking about a 9.9 that would be a very different thing.
Ha, ran a 9.8 on one for a while because thats what I had available. It was fine, but eventually damaged the transom.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:22   #44

So, the consensus is that 4hp should be fine, with a little common sense in using it.

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If you like plastic boats I recommend the Portland Pudgy. It will do everything better & can double as a life boat although it is pricey & hard to find used. Personally I'd look for a used fiberglass dinghy like a Trinka, Bauer, Dyer or a Fatty Knees.
I looked into the Pudgy: awesome piece of kit! ...But insanely $$$. I do plan to double the dink as a lifeboat (...subject for another thread). Not married to the WB 8, another make might be better. But it can't be much larger than 8, to fit where I need it (i.e. in a cockpit locker, on its side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
But using a 4 horse on the mother ship? That might be a bit small - what's the weight of the sailboat?
It will be an ~30' steel boat, ~10k lbs displacement (don't have it yet, in planning stage currently). Haven't been able to find any good information on this; all the sizing data is for people who want to do serious motoring (not just the occasional in/out of harbor). But I've found anecdotal evidence of boats of this size successfully using small outboards. E.G. The SV Atom used a 3.5hp for the purpose.

Quote:
I don't follow. A lot of sailors, including circumnavigators (see SV Atom above for an example), use rigid dinghies 8' or smaller. On a 30' boat, there's no way to safely carry a RIB, and I don't want a roll-up.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 11:26   #45

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

Serious forum, yes, lots of serious dogma here.

WARNING: All you cruisers out there with 8' dinghies are DOING IT WRONG!

Really, biggest bunch of nonesense run across long time.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard, size