Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 14:29   #1

Weaver davits on a sugar-scoop stern

I'm contemplating the possibility of using a hard dink and Weaver davits on a boat with a sugar-scoop stern. The dink would therefore be held in place on its side with its keel facing astern. The dink would not be able to fill with water. With strong, rigid supports between the top of the mother ship's transom and the uppermost gunwale of the dink this arrangement would seem far more secure than most.

The Weaver davits would be installed with fiberglass backing plates on both the mother ship and the dinghy, to avoid tearout. The height of the dingy above the swim platform would be adjusted to be sure that the dinghy does not drag in the water on a heel.

To what extent would this setup be suitable for passage?

I'm looking at ~40ish foot cutter rigged boats with limited foredeck storage possibilities due to the staysail, and an 8-10' plastic dink.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 14:43   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Weaver davits on a sugar-scoop stern

You have considered one of the oft mentioned issues with carrying a dinghy that way on a sailboat, that being the risk of dragging the dinghy when the boat is heeled. Another consideration is to relocate your stern nav light so it isnít blocked by the dinghy. And if your boat is USCG documented the dink must not block the name and hailing port. Iíve seen sailboats on the west coast with that arrangement. Some duplicate the name and hailing port on the bottom of the dinghy.

The other concern is aesthetics. I just donít like the way that looks, but thatís just me.

Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 14:52   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Jammer, youíve probably already thought through that you would have difficulty mounted a wind steering vane.

Also, if you want to have an arch for solar panels and radar you might want to incorporate davits and lift the dinghy
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 15:09   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Vulnerable to wave strikes in both directions, plus a lot of windage. IMO, a system better adapted to m/v than yachts.

Jim
Old 10-01-2019, 15:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Jammer, we had something like this for a while with an inflatable but mounted higher to avoid the waves. Inside of the top tube was about level with the top of the pushpit. Easy enough to fig with 4 pieces of string and some small clips so could be deployed in 5 seconds, but still held across the stern with the lower bits of rope. It did catch the odd wave when sailing if we leaned over.

It gave good protection with the dodgers from the weather but funnelled exhaust fumes into the cockpit motoring downwind in light winds.

We now deflate and store on the foredeck but appreciate that may not be an option for you.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	183621  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 17:15   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another problem to be solved is swinging into the mother boat, and chafing both. I wasn't kidding about the nesting dinghy. Should you decide you're interested to investigate that, we have some friends who built one, and I could ask them how to get a look at the plans. PM me, if you'd like me to do that.

Ann
Old 11-01-2019, 08:31   #7

Boat: Hunter 30

I had weaver davits on my sugar scoop. Impossible to heel without dragging the dink and eventually pulled loose the glue. We only coastal cruise and now tow the dink. MY boat is a 29.5 and in my opinion would look stupid with davits.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:35   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I'm contemplating the possibility of using a hard dink and Weaver davits on a boat with a sugar-scoop stern. The dink would therefore be held in place on its side with its keel facing astern. The dink would not be able to fill with water. With strong, rigid supports between the top of the mother ship's transom and the uppermost gunwale of the dink this arrangement would seem far more secure than most.

The Weaver davits would be installed with fiberglass backing plates on both the mother ship and the dinghy, to avoid tearout. The height of the dingy above the swim platform would be adjusted to be sure that the dinghy does not drag in the water on a heel.

To what extent would this setup be suitable for passage?

I'm looking at ~40ish foot cutter rigged boats with limited foredeck storage possibilities due to the staysail, and an 8-10' plastic dink.
Just a bad idea, particularly on a 25' sailboat for all the reasons others have mentioned.

~ ~ _/ ~ ~ MJH

MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits