Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 06:03   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Water Leaking into Dinghy

I have a Carib (2008). It is leaking water into the floor of the boat. It is a rib. It is not leaking between the two hulls. it is leaking at the edge of the rib where it joins the tubes. It will never get more than 3-4 inches of water into the dinghy. When it is all dry and put into the water you can see water seeping in along the edge of the rib. I have not honestly taken enough time looking into the problem. I am just in the thinking stage before I tackle it next spring. Anyone have experience with similiar problems.
Thanks,
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 06:20   #2

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: water leaking into dinghy

Ugh. If it's like a West Marine dinghy (made by Zodiac), this separation of the floor from the tubes will just get worse. You can glue it back with 3M 5200, and it will probably hold. Then another section will separate, and you'll have to glue it. I finally ended up regluing all around the perimeter of the floor with 5200. At that point, I got rid of that dinghy, so I don't know how long such a repair will last. I've met other people who have reglued the whole floor, though, and still used their dinghy.

The good news is the dinghy won't sink. I do remember one interesting ride, though, when the whole bow section of the floor blew out, and my wife had to hold it up to keep the water from pouring in as we motored.

I'm going to try building a nesting dinghy next. Dinghies.... Ugh.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 15:04   #3

Boat: H36
I had the exact same problem. First time I took to a dealer for repair. Next year I bought the zodiac glue from the dealer and did myself. Finally the can of glue was just about gone and I was tiered of wet feet. Sold the rib and the rest of the glue for $200. I did some research and found this is because it was PVC. Most joints are thermal welded and are very robust. Secondary joints that they can't weld are glued. The tubes never leaked air but a bunch of small pieces including floor fell off.
Bought a Hypolon dingy, problem solved.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 15:47   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Water Leaking into Dinghy

A hypalon Caribe bears little resemblance to a pvc Zodiac/West.
Old 16-12-2012, 16:00   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

caribe has a problem with that -- water comes into the hulls--mine got to nearly 800 pounds--i decided to quit rib dinks and go roll up with small engine. works better for me.

the glue isnt gonna make any difference--is a caribe, not a zodiac. is hypalon, not pvc. this happens with caribe brand rib dinghies. lift boat and drain by removing plug for a bit, until water ceases to drain. i have had 3 caribe dinks, all 3 had this problem --i found no solution to it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 06:19   #6
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

the problem is water leaking into the dinghy where your feet are not between the hulls. It is Caribe, 2008, hypolon
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 07:03   #7

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Be sure is saltwater, sometimes rain water collect in the cavity under the tube , moving your body forward and you see water rushing from this cavity , its normal...

Hull is 2 bottom i guess like mine, posibles ways to found salt water coming to the floor is the tube hull joint, , check the joint at the bottom , or the plug,,, or a crack in the hull filling the 2 bottom, hope this help.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, water