Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 18:03   #1

Warranty on Inflatables

As my search goes on for a suitable inflatable, I was looking at the warranty. I want a 5 year warranty on the fabric and seams and I thought I found a low price boat that filled the bill. It's on the boatstogo website and it's called the Azzurro. However in the fine print it tells what is excluded.....failure of seams from heat!! Now I need to see if the more name brand boats have such an exclusion since I plan to keep the boat on deck folded up in it's carry case which would protect it from UV...but not from heat. Plus the seams of this particular boat seems to be glued and not welded. I wonder if the welded seams would hold up better to heat.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 11:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Warranty on Inflatables

I will relate a quick story I heard yesterday from close friends cruising the Caribbean. Achilles dinghy, bought from Defender. Airdeck. Airdeck started leaking at a seam. They took pictures and video and sent it to Defender. Within hours, Defender had a replacement approved, and on the way to Florida where it was shipped down to St. Lucia for them to pick up on their way down to Grenada. It's hard to beat that kind of service. From both Defender and Achilles. P.S. This is a $700-800 floor.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 11:33   #3

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I will relate a quick story I heard yesterday from close friends cruising the Caribbean. Achilles dinghy, bought from Defender. Airdeck. Airdeck started leaking at a seam. They took pictures and video and sent it to Defender. Within hours, Defender had a replacement approved, and on the way to Florida where it was shipped down to St. Lucia for them to pick up on their way down to Grenada. It's hard to beat that kind of service. From both Defender and Achilles. P.S. This is a $700-800 floor.
What a great ad for Defender!!! I have always had excellent service from them
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 11:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Defender also keeps on file your sales receipt so that even a few years later they can provide it for you for warranty purposes.
Also I believe they may register your inflatable warranty wise if you buy from them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:00   #5

I too had good service from Defender(bottom paint) and had a 25 year old Archilles which was in good shape when I sold it. It had a wooden floor and difficult to assemble on deck. Now I want an inflatable floor and since I plan on rolling up the dinghy and storing it on deck not sure how the Archilles will hold up with its glued seams no matter how I cover it. A welded PCV boat just might be better in the heat rolled up.??
Old 24-06-2018, 12:36   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

My dinghy is falling apart, but not at the seams.

What I've determined to do not time is get a dinghy from West Marine. Not because I think they are better or worst than other dinghies. It's because I'm a cruiser and there are West marine stores all over the place.
Old 25-06-2018, 05:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I wonder if the welded seams would hold up better to heat.
Welded seams are permanent. Zodiac is the only company with welded transoms and welded floors on some models, and the only condemning factor that comes in to play is if the transom rots out or the material dies after 15 years due to UV degradation.

The craft you're looking at is 100% glued chinese origin PVC, it will have a lifespan of approximately 5 years from date of manufacture.
Old 25-06-2018, 11:25   #8

Thanks KD8, I saw on the Defender website that some of the older Zodiac models made in France were advertised as having fully welded seams which would indicate that some models may not be fully welded. I'll try to see if I can get a straight answer from the Zodiac website. Then there is another boat mfg that claims the seams are welded, but looking deeper they mean chemical "Welding".

Tags
inflatable