Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 21:02   #1

Walker Bay Dinghies?

We are preparing to start our new adventure as live aboards next month, and I'm starting to research dinghies. I dont know anything about dinghies or the companies that make them so I've been cruising the internet all night.

This one is for sale locally and I'm wondering if its a good deal?

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6627755542.html
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 21:08   #2

Re: Walker Bay Dinghies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
We are preparing to start our new adventure as live aboards next month, and I'm starting to research dinghies. I dont know anything about dinghies or the companies that make them so I've been cruising the internet all night.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6627755542.html

I like hard tenders for many reasons: weight to strength ratio, supposedly less maintenance, and impervious to bumping to to bits ofuse of want to go to Mel’s just to kind of give me a tax.

http://www.whaly.com/en/whaly_3101.html
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 21:35   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

Walker bay dingies do not plane so that motor is serious overkill. I think the owners manual say it's rated for a 5hp motor. Overall it's a good deal though.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 21:42   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I had a Walker Bay for years, but a smaller one. The one advertised may have best of both worlds: plastic hull (used to be polypropelene, now ?polyethelene) and inflatable sponsoons for extra stability.
Do not know prices in the US, if it is good or bad. Engine might be a tad big, as the hull does not plane as easily as some RIBs, so 3 HP might be big enough to potter around (in non-plane mode). Take it for a spin before you buy. If it does not plane easily with 1 person on board, consider a smaller engine.

If you are taking this dinghy on board, you may not need the trailer,

The Whaly dinghy as linked in post #2, is quite heavy in comparison.
Old 06-08-2018, 21:51   #5

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Walker bay dingies do not plane so that motor is serious overkill. I think the owners manual say it's rated for a 5hp motor. Overall it's a good deal though.
Sorry, it's 3hp.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 22:29   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Walker Bay make a wide variety of boats. I’d want something bigger but good compromise. Check out the genesis series and don’t rule out an HPA hull, if you’re careful they can last and store in the bilge.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 22:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Walker Bay make a wide variety of boats. I’d want something bigger but good compromise. Check out the genesis series and don’t rule out an HPA hull, if you’re careful they can last and store in the bilge.
I dont want anything too large. Just something small that the two of us can fit in and go from marina to marina to visit friends, or go to one of the water front restaurants for dinner every now and then. We still work so we'll mostly be living aboard and staying stationary with only local weekend cruises a few times a year.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:56   #8

Boat: Mahe 36

We have been living aboard for 18 months now and bought the same WB dinghy before we left. We have found the dinghy excellent and the "floats" give great stability giving my wife confidence in it.
We have a Honda 2.3 and this drives the dinghy well
I also have the HP sail kit which is great fun!
Our cat has davits so this makes handling the dinghy easy.
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:22   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

I would say that in my area that price would be fair enough but I would use a smaller engine that is way more than that boat can really use as they do not really plane I'm happy with the 2.5 tohatsu I have on mine but I would consider going up to 5hp as a soft maybe as the the one I have pushes her along just fine.
When I got mine I didn't have tubes for it and I have to admit I like it much better now that I have them.
Compared to some of the other options out there I like it way more than the west marine water tender I used to have, better ride and now that it has the tubes I think it might also be more stable, it's definitely dryer.
You could do far worse for a dinghy than that, oversized out board and all.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:11   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

A dinghy is really part of a much larger eco-system; how to carry it on the mother ship, how to launch/recover, how to fuel it, how to mount and store the motor (if it's removable), whether rowing is intended, etc etc etc.

You can solve lots of those problems in the shopping phase... but not until you have the mother ship and have had some time to ponder the possibilities. (Mother ship selection can solve some dinghy issues, too, for that matter.)

IIRC, that particular Walker Bay is beamier than some RIBs, even beamier with the flotation collars... and that might impact how you could carry it on the mother ship. (That's the main reason we didn't select that one.) Otherwise, it offered some credible features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Walker bay dingies do not plane so that motor is serious overkill.
Incorrect. WB makes several different kinds of dinghy. That model won't plane, but many of theirs will.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2018, 04:32   #11

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Sooner or later someone is going to use modern materials to create a dingy that weighs less than a rib, that's hard, that will plane and tow without being a sea anchor...I can't wait.. Rubber boats are a pita.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:05   #12

Boat: Cal 33-2

I think that WB is overkill for how you propose to use it. My use is similar to what you propose. My main criteria in selecting a dinghy and motor was low weight and ease of handling. Got an Achilles 7.5 foot inflatable with a wood floor and a Yamaha 2hp. Easy to assemble and disassemble and can be stored inflated on the deck or deflated below when not cruising. Engine is only 23 lbs so very easy to lift on or off. I normally tow the dinghy when cruising and the engine is always on the mount on the stern rail. I never tow with the engine on the dinghy.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:45   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I dont want anything too large. Just something small that the two of us can fit in and go from marina to marina to visit friends, or go to one of the water front restaurants for dinner every now and then. We still work so we'll mostly be living aboard and staying stationary with only local weekend cruises a few times a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
IIRC, that particular Walker Bay is beamier than some RIBs, even beamier with the flotation collars... and that might impact how you could carry it on the mother ship. (That's the main reason we didn't select that one.) Otherwise, it offered some credible features.

More thoughts. That 9.9 hp outboard will likely be heavy (and as others have said, it's more than that boat needs). Likely the reason the seller has it on a trailer is because the motor is too heavy to lift/mount/dismount casually.

Compare the package deal to the cost of a new dinghy (the larger WB model in that line) with flotation collars. (Might be some used ones out there, dunno.) Then shop for a separate outboard, probably down around 5-hp or so (check the label on the dinghy for max HP rating) and maybe under 60-lbs or whatever you're comfortable with. Or even electric, like a trolling motor, if you'd have a way to charge it...

But then also be aware that dinghy may in turn influence your choice of mothership. Or alternatively, you choice of mothership may mean you have to spin off that dinghy in favor of another, for whatever reason...

-Chris
Old 07-08-2018, 07:38   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

1--it will not be stolen
2-it willnot lose air
3=you can carry more in that wb10 than any one can make it back to boat with by use if a soft floor roll up
4-tying to wharves is not an issue. you willnot lose a pontoon due to rip rap cutting the boat.
5- is heavy and does not roll up
6-no one will steal it.
7- can be beached more times than a roll up inflatable and without requiring repairs.
ps...it can be sailed. it can be rowed. or even use an outboard.
btw--they row easily. my dink is a wb10.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:53   #15

I have had Caribe and AB in the past and they have been good dinghies and performed as expected, this time I tried buying a Walker Bay, I liked the double flooring and the light weight, but it comes as a cost.

Ours is 2013 and after being in contact Ivan Gamez "Warranty Administrator" they offered me $300 of a new hull or $500 off a new dinghy
We have had the dinghy since it was 2 weeks old, but because we bought it with our "demo model catamaran" as a dinghy, we are not considered the first owner and that is their way out of warranty.
I can only recommend never to buy any of their products.

I have never had to repair any dinghy hull made from fiberglass or aluminum from other manufactures.

This is clearly a design fault and a weak point from the manufacturer, they just don't want to admit it, we have always only had the recommended 15 HP outboard, and never abused it.

Then on top of it, these hulls are made from a type of plastic, that only few people even know how to repair, and good luck finding any in remote places.
When cruising you need it as simple as possible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 8.06.28 AM.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	189317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 8.07.26 AM.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	189318  

Click image for larger version