Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 19:59   #31

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Video cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I think that's a reasonable solution. Only change I'd make is I'd go Canon over Sony. Two reasons - 1) Canon typically has better optics. 2) If you ever do want to use it under water, it will be far less costly to get the Canon housing than a 3rd party housing for the Sony.

I also highly recommend (whether you take my advice and go Canon or not) that you don't go with a hard drive but go with RAM. Hard drives have a much higher failure rate for that type of use. There's also the transfer time to consider - if you fill the hard drive, it takes time to empty it. Fill a card, you can swap it in seconds. And cards are cheap these days so having a few is not a big deal.

Only downside to either the GoPro or Contour for underwater use is that you'd need to attach some sort of screen (I think both offer this) but it likely is not as easily visible. In addition, if you use it for diving, the colors will be off - That's a huge plus to the Canon - it fixes that for you.

And realistically, unless you want to wear a camera, any camcorder could be mounted to the boat for recording - especially if you have an underwater case. I've mounted mine in the help with a very strong suction cup (plus a tether as backup). Like I said, I think the GoPro/Contour are really an excellent special use type camera.
Thanks for the input. My understanding is that the GoPro has excellent quality/colour underwater. Will look into it further.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:01   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Anything will look good (for the most part) when snorkeling.

IF you dive, that's where you lose reds - as you get deeper. The GoPro and Contour don't have anything built in to counter that. You can always adjust later, but you need the right software for that.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:03   #33

Just thought I would provide this link showing the GoPro Outdoor Edition, which shows excellent quality underwater and it appears that colour is not a problem underwater: HD HERO2 Outdoor Edition
Old 04-10-2012, 20:07   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
My Cannon DSLR shoots nice video, but I never really take it out underway. Super easy for a wave to send spray up and give it a quick salt water bath. The GoPro on the other hand you can basically treat like crap and it comes back for more.

Walking around on shore I bring the Cannon. Underway it stays in tupperware.
I agree, my Nikon will go ashore and underway, will stay tucked away out of line of seaspray fire.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:08   #35

Quote:
Anything will look good (for the most part) when snorkeling.

IF you dive, that's where you lose reds - as you get deeper. The GoPro and Contour don't have anything built in to counter that. You can always adjust later, but you need the right software for that.
I doubt I will be diving deep so not too perturbed about that. Yes, software can work magic if you really need it to.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
GoPro. I use mine for underwater video. Mounted on my roll bar for car racing video. Mounted on my rc planes for aerial video, mounted on the stern or bow pulpit for sailing videos, mounted on my head for whatever I'm doing videos...

Get all the mounts and have fun...
Thanks, I am leaning towards the GoPro. The underwater video quality and robust design will do well for the sailing environment and snorkeling from the videos I have seen.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Just thought I would provide this link showing the GoPro Outdoor Edition, which shows excellent quality underwater and it appears that colour is not a problem underwater: HD HERO2 Outdoor Edition
The quality is without a doubt very good. And quality isn't affected by depth. It's the colors that you lose as you get deeper. Snorkeling, not an issue for the most part. Diving, it is. I can see in some of the shots that seem a bit deeper (even though they are snorkeling) that the colors are dulled and its leaning towards the blue color range.

The other thing to keep in mind as well with the GoPro/Contour is that it is much more difficult to focus on subjects. For instances, diving we've come across eels or other creatures that are of interest. With my Canon, I get get right up to it and zoom in and get some amazing shots. It's just not as easy to do with the GoPro/Contour.

Not saying you won't get good videos and enjoy it, but it is a very different kind of use - One you wear as a head camera and the other you point and shoot and have much more control.

It all comes down to the task and using the best equipment for that task. That's why I own all 3 - DSLR, Video HD Cam and Contour To be honest though, Contour gets the least use as I prefer the freedom a handheld camera (with zoom) gives me.

And take a look at the contour videos too (on thing I've noticed is they tend to have less of a fish eye lens look). http://contour.com/videos/explore They also seem to be the helmet cam of choice for the X-Games.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:30   #38

Thanks for all the input folks. At this stage I think my Nikon D80 (for stills), the GoPro Outdoor Edition @ £299.99 plus the dive housing at £49.00 (for sailing/underway & underwater) and perhaps a Sony CX250E Full HD flash memory camcorder for general video work @ about £330.00. My all in costs would be about £680.00 and I should have all round flexibility/capability ... any thoughts on that combo?
Old 04-10-2012, 20:33   #39

Quote:
The quality is without a doubt very good. And quality isn't affected by depth. It's the colors that you lose as you get deeper. Snorkeling, not an issue for the most part. Diving, it is. I can see in some of the shots that seem a bit deeper (even though they are snorkeling) that the colors are dulled and its leaning towards the blue color range.

The other thing to keep in mind as well with the GoPro/Contour is that it is much more difficult to focus on subjects. For instances, diving we've come across eels or other creatures that are of interest. With my Canon, I get get right up to it and zoom in and get some amazing shots. It's just not as easy to do with the GoPro/Contour.

Not saying you won't get good videos and enjoy it, but it is a very different kind of use - One you wear as a head camera and the other you point and shoot and have much more control.

It all comes down to the task and using the best equipment for that task. That's why I own all 3 - DSLR, Video HD Cam and Contour To be honest though, Contour gets the least use as I prefer the freedom a handheld camera (with zoom) gives me.

And take a look at the contour videos too (on thing I've noticed is they tend to have less of a fish eye lens look). Contour | Videos | Recent They also seem to be the helmet cam of choice for the X-Games.
I will have a look, thanks. I haven't ruled out Contour as yet.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Thanks for all the input folks. At this stage I think my Nikon D80 (for stills), the GoPro Outdoor Edition @ £299.99 plus the dive housing at £49.00 (for sailing/underway & underwater) and perhaps a Sony CX250E Full HD flash memory camcorder for general video work @ about £330.00. My all in costs would be about £680.00 and I should have all round flexibility/capability ... any thoughts on that combo?
Aside from preference (obviously I prefer the contour housing - really that's what makes the difference for me), the ONLY thing that would keep me from doing the above is the cost of making the Sony underwater capable in the future if you decided to.

Assuming you can find a case for the Sony, you are probably looking at at least $1000 for it - not sure what it is in the UK, but they are expensive. You can't go wrong with a Canon - specs are pretty much the same - but the Canon would give you the flexibility to upgrade later if you find you really want to do more under water. All depends on how much in water filming you want to do. For me, it's 70% of what I film when we are on vacation in the Caribbean. Although looking at amazon.co.uk it looks like the model I mention isn't available - I'd think they'd have a similar offering in the UK though.
Old 04-10-2012, 21:19   #41

Quote:
Aside from preference (obviously I prefer the contour housing - really that's what makes the difference for me), the ONLY thing that would keep me from doing the above is the cost of making the Sony underwater capable in the future if you decided to.

Assuming you can find a case for the Sony, you are probably looking at at least $1000 for it - not sure what it is in the UK, but they are expensive. You can't go wrong with a Canon - specs are pretty much the same - but the Canon would give you the flexibility to upgrade later if you find you really want to do more under water. All depends on how much in water filming you want to do. For me, it's 70% of what I film when we are on vacation in the Caribbean. Although looking at amazon.co.uk it looks like the model I mention isn't available - I'd think they'd have a similar offering in the UK though.
I have had a look and the UK is also very expensive for underwater housings for the normal handycam type cameras. I am struggling to find a Canon with similar capabilities at a similar price. I also think I will be quite happy with the GoPro/Contour underwater and will not need a housing for the Sony for underwater filming because of that. The Sony I am looking at is the HDR-CX250E, which has a 30x optical and of course Sony is well known for its "steady shot" filming.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:42   #42

Well folks, I just thought I would share my decision with you. I decided on the GoPro Hero 2 and bought it. It has arrived with its waterproof housing and a number of different mounts. I have taken 3-4 videos with it and am very happy with it. I am now starting to use Microsoft's windows live movie maker to edit etc and will hopefully get better at it. I am all for free programs, especially when they work in a user friendly manner. Thanks to all of you for your input on this thread.

I now have the Nikon D80 for stills, the GoPro for extreme video and will look for the handycam for general onshore use etc away from seaspray. Now where is our boat??? Oh, sorry, I forgot, we still have to clear our piles of "stuff" and sell the house.

Oh, and I also bought 3 Kindle Fire HD's 32GB and Lisa is really chuffed with it. The girls don't know yet but the other two are for them (for Christmas).