Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-06-2011, 13:33   #76
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: USCG Considers Mandatory PFD Use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
As for PFD tanlines, we just tell everyone we wear bras while at sea. It's kind of kinky, but what happens on the boat stays on the boat.
Mandatory brassieres? Now that's a regulation I'm thoroughly against.

Old 03-06-2011, 13:45   #77
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

so, uscg hasnt anything better to do than police the folks for pfds, now..... at least is under 18 ft. rofl. sorry day.
i told someone is growing more fascist in usa-- they agreed then we both laughed and did a mourinig dance for usa. sorry guys......

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 14:04   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Mandatory brassieres? Now that's a regulation I'm thoroughly against.
It's only mandatory for the guys.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 14:19   #79

Boat: PETERSON 44

Here I am ready for a weekend of sailing. This suit has built in lightning protection, on board ac, 1 month supply of food,airhead,I dont need a dinghy I can drift out to the mooring. Notice how I am not carrying any provisions or oars. Enjoy it looks like a nice weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing apparel.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	28032  
Old 03-06-2011, 15:03   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Here I am ready for a weekend of sailing. This suit has built in lightning protection, on board ac, 1 month supply of food,airhead,I dont need a dinghy I can drift out to the mooring. Notice how I am not carrying any provisions or oars. Enjoy it looks like a nice weekend
That's great!
Old 03-06-2011, 15:23   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I refuse to wear a PFD when I am sailing, but if I fall over the side, I sure hope I have one on by the time I hit the water. Jus hopin'
Old 03-06-2011, 16:38   #82

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
growing up in the 60's I was under the impression Oz was full of rugged folks who weren't easy to push around .... I guess I watched too much Skippy.
No in the 70`s that was the case then we changed our policy on who could enter now we are full off dogooders who cant let us think for our self but our police dont have anything to do so they are now like the tax man.

I do agree for kids ect and when at the bow in a sea but we should have the choice.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28   #83
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
that suit rocks- are ye certain isnt mandatory use of that total body protection that uscg is seeking for the freedom sailors we are????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 13:50   #84

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
It is an interesting dichotomy between wanting government assistance and not wanting rules. I personally fall right square in the middle of it. I think seat belt are a good thing, but don't want to be fined for my own good for not wearing one. Yet it does incure additional expense for society to pay someone to be on disability the rest of their life if they go through a windshield.

Tha same with boating it costs the coast guard more money to dredge to recover a body plus countless manhours searching, compared to getting a rope and picking up a live person in a life jacket.

If those costs could be assigned to those who incure the risk without effecting the rest of us, that would be great. Practically speaking though the ones least likely to wear protective gear are also the ones least likely to be able to pay the consequences.

Even though life jackets have been required to be aboard every regulated vessel for years, only a small percentage of people actually use them. Statistics show most of those who drowned weren't wearing one.

If the regulation read, life jacket required if not in inland waters, or if in a powered vessel of any size, that would fit common sense. As pointed out before a kayaker usually wears one, but a racing skiff does not. If I was kayaking in a 4 foot deep 1 acre lake, I wouldn't wear one either, but if I was clogging a busy shipping channel with my kayak, ....
You're right, I do want help but not new rules. I paid for the help. I pay a lot.
Old 04-06-2011, 14:14   #85
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I find it amusing that you will be fined or not having a lifevest if your in a dinghy but not fined if your in the water swimming towing the dinghy.
Old 05-06-2011, 19:32   #86

Re: USCG Considers Mandatory PFD Use !

I am shocked and appalled to this lack of deference to those that have been put in charge of us. To quote a famous American.

"Until we learn to blindly follow the orders of our leaders we can never be free."

-Major Frank Burns
Old 05-06-2011, 20:39   #87

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

that suit rocks- are ye certain isnt mandatory use of that total body protection that uscg is seeking for the freedom sailors we are????
It's. A wonderful suit zee I have never been so safe since buying it. Yes I think because the protection it provides it should be mandatory. One small problem I have to sorta bend over crouched to get the engine sea cock open. I could not quite maneuver well enough so I laid down. I could not get back up. Fortunately it has a built in voice activated epirb. Also I wasn't able to lower my head enough to allow the boom to pass with out giving a good tunking to my helmet. Ready about and wham clunk and sheet in that jib .
Old 05-06-2011, 21:05   #88
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan3820
I am shocked and appalled to this lack of deference to those that have been put in charge of us. To quote a famous American.

"Until we learn to blindly follow the orders of our leaders we can never be free."

-Major Frank Burns
"in charge of us" ???

I realize the above quote was made tongue in cheek, but it represents too frightening a misrepresentation to go unchallenged.

The military are not in charge of us.

We had our own Arab Spring in 1776 to settle such issues. I'm almost certain the US constitution will back me up here.

Let me say it again: the military are not in charge of us. When they start dictating the appropriate outfits for cruising, they've assumed powers to which they are not entitled.

Should we wear PFDs?
Yes

Should the US Coast Guard dictate that we wear PFDs?
No.
Old 05-06-2011, 21:32   #89

Quote:
We had our own Arab Spring in 1776 to settle such issues. I'm almost certain the US constitution will back me up here.
Methinks it's time for another one.
It's only going to get worse. It's the nature of government, regulatory agencies, commissions, etc, to always come up with new laws, regs, advisorys, etc, to justify their existance and their budget. Government attracts a certain type of person with a control mindset. No bureaucrat is ever going to say, "We've got enough rules and regs". "We don't have to do anything for the next few years".
Old 05-06-2011, 21:38   #90
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bash?
"We had our own Arab Spring in 1776"
Actually we didn't. One of those things they don't mention much in grade school history classes, is that the "first battle" at Lexington was an unfortunate accident. The Lexington Militia were safing their flintlocks after a weekend drill, prior to entering the town pub for a little socializing. All normal village militia activity. Flintlocks and matchlocks I presume, that was the technology of the day. All the drill sincluded firing practice--if the men or the town were rich enough to afford it, because ammunition was expensive, lead balls were expensive, and many of the farmers were simply lousy shots who never routinely fired a gun.

The only way to safe a flint/matchlock, which may still be loaded, is to fire it. (And folks who have been to any firing range will tell you, it doesn't matter who or how someone calls "Cease fire!" there will always be loaded weapons at that point.

So, there's all these villagers who want to safe their weapons and get into the pub, and they fire 'em off into a sand barrel or water barrel to do so, demonstrating that it is safe for them to get drunk now.

Co-incidentally, the British troops, consisting of some experienced men, more unexperienced draftees, some eager-beaver hired mercenaries, all the usual mix in a British Army "overseas in the damned colonies" force at that time...they're approaching Lexington and they hear VOLLEY FIRE!

Presuming the volley fire means there's a battle and troops ahead of them must need help, the leading Brits race into town firing. The Lexington Militia simply return fire in self-defense.

Oopsie, the war started.

While the various 'founding fathers' were still split on opinion as to how and whether to revolt--we didn't hold an uprising quite the same way. Yes, there were tea parties and many violent incidents, but the "spark heard round the world" was a total accident, caused by lack of discipline in the British forces.

If the Brits had been a couple of hours faster or slower...who knows, they still might have been denied their goal. But as news of the British "attack" spread though the alarm riders (Paul Revere was actually a rider who got caught and failed to make his route) within three days mutual aid from other militias was arriving in Massachusetts from Virginia and points south. An incredibly fast response, considering it was all by foot or horse.
And one neighboring town? That's right, never got the alarm, had to learn about it from "southerners" heading for Boston!

These days Americans don't get quite so organized or responsive about much of anything, even though the communications have gotten much better.

Oh, and the USCG? They're NOT THE MILITARY! Last I heard they're still a dual-hat agency, they are military once transferred to the DoD in time of war, but they're an administrative agency while they operate under the DHS at other times. DHS is an administrative agency, USCG serves under DHS now. That's how they could respond after Katrina, while military forces like the USN could not.

USCG demands PFDs? That's just the gummint, same as the sanitation department or building code enforcement, or the IRS, till we go to official war status.

But I fully agree with you: PFDs, good idea. The freedom to not use them? Guaranteed to you, as "Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". (VBG)

Tags
pfd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: