Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 13:27   #31

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: USCG Considers Mandatory PFD Use!

I'm not a fan of government rules of this type.

However, at this point in time I have worn a PFD, with a handheld VHF w/gps clipped to it, on all outings in my Pearson. Seems prudent to me, at my experience level and swimming ability.

Anyone else out there regularly wear a PFD?
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 13:35   #32

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
In that case it was NOT the CG, it was the Fire dept and the city.
You're right. I should have said that a public funded agency chose not to respond.

Quote:
This thread has a direct impact on the cruising community. I don't see the link to cruising if someone in SF decides to commit suicide.
I think the link is the overall concept of marine rescue, the funding of marine rescue resources, how tax payer money gets allocated for marine rescue, and how we as a community feel about that.

In one thread, folks are outraged that the USCG is considering another rule to require PFD's to be worn in certain situations; with complaints of nanny state etc ( I even saw the word fascism in one post) . The USCG is considering that move in an effort to save lives, which is pretty much the whole point of marine rescue, and the policy in the long term might even save some tax $$. But everyone focuses on the infringement of our freedom to opt for a quick drowning if we so choose.

In another thread, folks seem outraged when a taxpayer funded agency like the Alameda FD (who cut back on marine rescue resources do to lack of tax money to support them) doesn't do something even though the department lacks the equipment or training to save a life in peril on the water. The gist of the posts are disappointed that no public agency did anything to help. A number of posts expressed utter disbelief that the USCG didn't respond and thought that they should have.

I found some irony in reading the two threads at the same time on the same day.... maybe it was just me.
Old 02-06-2011, 13:44   #33
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

i never rode my jetski without it. thinking a good knock in the head "very likely on a jet ski" would make swimming skill irrelevant. however on a dingy going 6mph or so.... its not going to happen. the more laws they make the more control they have. next pissin off the back will be a felony.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 13:53   #34
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I found some irony in reading the two threads at the same time on the same day.... maybe it was just me.
wouldnt it be funny if the same people were posting on both with support for rescue and hate for the pfd law?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:06   #35
cruiser

the problem I see is where does it end?

if you can be required to wear a life jacket (first it was life jackets, then someone decided that didn't cut it and so we hadda have PFD's and now that common sense returned however briefly it's back to life jackets) what is the next step? personally I tend to wear my inflatable suspenders as I don't swim well and as pointed out after the BOOM swimming may be problematic being unconscious and all and having survived watching the trees cross my windshield upside down right side up upside down I wear a seatbelt but I'm not big on being ordered to do so.

will blowboaters be required to wear gybe helmets next?

when will meteor helmets be required?
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: USCG Considers Mandatory PFD Use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
the problem I see is where does it end?

if you can be required to wear a life jacket (first it was life jackets, then someone decided that didn't cut it and so we hadda have PFD's and now that common sense returned however briefly it's back to life jackets) what is the next step? personally I tend to wear my inflatable suspenders as I don't swim well and as pointed out after the BOOM swimming may be problematic being unconscious and all and having survived watching the trees cross my windshield upside down right side up upside down I wear a seatbelt but I'm not big on being ordered to do so.

will blowboaters be required to wear gybe helmets next?

when will meteor helmets be required?
See DOJ for supply... he's got great reflector/deflector lids....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:39   #37

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The long and short of it is, I sense the long arm of PFD manufacturers greasing palms in high places.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:42   #38
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it's great. HWMO and I are always rowing about this. On the yacht I tend to wear one first, and he'll refuse unless it's blowing 40 with a 10ft swell at night.

One the other hand, he's always nagging me on the beach. He'll always wear his, and I'll not bother till it's lowing 40 with a 10ft swell. Well, this legislation would mean that he would HAVE to wear his on his 16ft Hobie, whereas I, on my Dart 18, would be exempt. Hahaha. I mean, YES, I love the logic!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:53   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Cripes! I sure didn't mean to open that can of worms!
Old 02-06-2011, 14:53   #40

Boat: Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
interesting contrast of two thread today in CF. This thread, which so far members seem to think that the government is overstepping in an attempt to save lives...

and another one Water Rescue Failure - SF - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
where most posts seem to think the government didn't do enough.

I'm not taking sides, merely pointing out that there seems to be some schizophrenia in our country about the role of government in our lives.
It's apples and oranges. In one instance, a suicidal person is in imminent danger and clearly in need of the assistance of rescuers watching from the shore because of some "policy". The other is an example of a government bent on "protecting" us from our own choices.

The juxtaposition of the two threads meaningless, UNLESS it's to point out the incongruity in the logic of the government agencies and politicians: mandating life jackets is another way for the government to "protect" us from ourselves (not to mention the fines they can collect), and yet they'll allow a guy to make the choice to kill himself without intervening?!?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:55   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Isn't our waterways federal property?
No, not all navigable waters.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:41   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
On my boat we wear PFDs all the time, except for special circumstances. Out beyond the Golden Gate Bridge I have the jacklines rigged and we wear tethers. I figure that wearing this gear in easy conditions is good practice for tough conditions. It's not a big deal -- just one of my rules. I don't get a lot of complaints.

I don't like the mandatory PFD requirement, at least not for adults, but I do think that it's a good idea to wear a PFD. Where I sail the water's cold.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 16:14   #43

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35

Ok so I can go out in a 19 foot kayak and not need to wear a PFD, but if I'm out in a 17 foot dory I need one? How about if I'm floating down the river on the tube?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 16:21   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Ok so I can go out in a 19 foot kayak and not need to wear a PFD, but if I'm out in a 17 foot dory I need one? How about if I'm floating down the river on the tube?
That's not what the advisory group recommended. They want occupants of all human-powered vessels, regardless of length, to wear PFDs.
Old 02-06-2011, 16:23   #45

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Is the tube CG approved? If not, you'll probably get a ticket! I hear the tube industry has hired a lobbyist to require national tube registration. Can't be too safe.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd